Confirmed with Link: GM Dubas -- Part 2: What will he do next!?

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Gards UFA next summer=expensive, Dumba is better and RFA=cheaper, so why would they do that?
U are probably right
I was thinking that maybe because gards is a minny kid they might pay up a lil bit extra since I thought they were overloaded on the right side and don’t want to pay dumba.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He seems intelligent...groomed by Lou...still has Shanahan to confide in. Brought in a rare top center free agent...How much better can it get ?

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
I can't see any team trading a defenseman for Gardiner, much less a younger, better one. Makes no sense for the other team. If he goes it'll be for a forward/futures.

If we want a half decent D we'll have to move a Kapanen or Johnsson type player. If we want a really good D we'll have to move Nylander. I don't like either of those options.

Any upgrades to our D this offseason are likely to be minor role player type upgrades rather than flashy names. They might try to sign more guys out of Europe for example.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Agree with everything you said Sniper

Could also see them making a deadline deal for experienced RHD. Pehaps Kap will have a great season, his trade value rises and he gets us a top 4 D with a reasonable cap hit

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I heard dubby roles around downtown looking like this now

upload_2018-7-8_0-48-6.png

Reactions: Leafblooded

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Matthews and Marner likely bet on themselves and wait to sign.

While I can see this happening, if the Leafs offer them good contracts and preach the discount to make a competitivr team aspect, they should be able to sign them this summer to something like 8x10, 8x8, 8x7 for Matthews, Marner, and Nylander respectively.

These cash values are more than any of the three are currently worth and are based on the expectation they will improve on their past 2 years.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I think everyone hoping for a Zaits trade will be disappointed. Dubas is on record referring to Z are a core piece to the team, I believe he thinks last year was a one off and Zaits is going to bounce back this year.

Reactions: Kelly

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Zaitsev...although we saw the good and the ugly this past season, his stocl is low right now and therefore he stays. Cross our fingers he turns it around and earns what he is paid.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
offer 1 year overpay to hamhuis or bieksa or orpik, we cant add any more salary to next years cap...but there are some good vets that are more than decent enough 3rd pairings with dermott

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
What about signing a LHD such as Hamhuis who Babcock has familiarity with from Team Canada and then moving Gardiner in exchange for a RHD, preferably a strong two-way defender with a heavy shot? Not sure what the price point and term would be for Hamhuis or what level his game is at now at age 35 but this may be something they consider.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
He's an extremely smart GM. Leave him to his business and he will prove it with time. Those are really my only thoughts.

If I was able to predict his next move I would be disappointed.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
bieksa should be his number 1 target...physical and fights, a right D, old vet that can still skate and play good 3rd pair hockey, ontario guy, hope he takes a 1 year deal even if we overpay

Reactions: Cobra777

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
bieksa should be his number 1 target...physical and fights, a right D, old vet that can still skate and play good 3rd pair hockey, ontario guy, hope he takes a 1 year deal even if we overpay

Dear god. I'd take Andy Wozniewski before I go after Bieksa. That guy is horrible.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think everyone hoping for a Zaits trade will be disappointed. Dubas is on record referring to Z are a core piece to the team, I believe he thinks last year was a one off and Zaits is going to bounce back this year.

Dubas publicly also said the D is not really a concern. He has to say that so he doesn’t seem desperate.

Do you know how much praise Babcock threw Phaneuf’s way? It’s one of the reasons we didn’t have to retain on him.

I’m sure they are trying to find a way to trade him. He’s not terribke but he’s also not close to being worthy of a 6 year deal. Cap hit is okay (750k overpaid). I just hope Dubas and company never sign non core players for that much term.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't remember the last time I had this much faith in a leafs GM. Obviously he's not perfect, but we're pretty lucky to have him

I agree with you
It just isn't Dubas. Leafs seem to have surrounded themselves with lots of good hockey people. Dubas will not be making decisions in isolation.
So many think, Dubas has to make his mark to show he's in charge. No, improving the team and winning will be enough of a mark for Dubas.
I can remember the Leafs had a "one man in charge" scenario....Brian, "The Brain" Burke. Self centred, refusing to do his job as GM, surrounded by his yes men, blaming the media/fan for his failings.
Yea, Dubas, Shanahan and the others....Leafs have no worries.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I really have a lot of faith in Dubas to make some moves and improve our D.

I hope at some point Dubas scraps the stupid Lou rule of no facial hair. I mean, look at how glorious Willy looks with that beard

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The team is positioned really well here but he seems pretty cognizant of the potential pitfalls that could wreck us. It really sounds like he did his homework on the cap situation before the Tavares signing and he certainly comes off as thoughtful and aware. Huge departure from Burke's hubristic brashness and Nonis' bumbling optimism.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
It seems to me the D depth will sort itself from within.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick
Borgman-Holl

Will eventually become...

Rielly-Liljegren
Dermott-Sandin
Some guy-Zaitsev

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That Foligno hit really knocked him dizzy. I think he wasn't really recovered at the start of the season, add his foot injury and you have some legit excuses for a down year. That concussion though, some people never really recover from those.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That Foligno hit really knocked him dizzy. I think he wasn't really recovered at the start of the season, add his foot injury and you have some legit excuses for a down year. That concussion though, some people never really recover from those.

It took Crosby a full calander year to recover from his big one. It takes a lot of time to fully recover.

People were far to tough on him last season after he had a terrific first season.

Not to mention he played insane minutes on the 11th best Penalty Kill. His points dipped because he got 0 power play time.

I think last season is a bit overblown.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It seems to me the D depth will sort itself from within.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick
Borgman-Holl

Will eventually become...

Rielly-Liljegren
Dermott-Sandin
Some guy-Zaitsev
Yeah, I think Durzi will find his way in there, too.

If I had my way, my ultimate blueline in 3-4 years would look like this:
Rielly - Severson-type (acquired with Gardiner)
Sandin - Liljegren
Dermott - Durzi

Reactions: marty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad