GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
So according to you, the Flyers have not ever outplayed any team in years. They've just lazily let us win like losers.
They don't outplay much in the last 4 years and how could they? Slow with no forecheck doesn't equal outplaying anyone. Not there fault it's poorly contructed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Have you watched Jordan Weal play hockey? He's garbage and doesn't belong in the NHL. He is also a pending UFA who they had zero plans of bringing back. Getting anything of value for him was a good move.

If Rinaldo can get a 3rd there's no reason Weal cannot get higher than a 6th.

It's an eyebrow raiser when you consider that we are going to have to move excess prospects to make the roster better. What value will Fletcher be getting?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
:skeptic:

A. Rinaldo was still young and not a pending UFA. Do I really need to tell you that being a pending UFA lowers a players trade value? He was also a more effective 4th liner at the time than Weal is now. Weal is a scorer who isn't good enough to play on an NHL scoring line, but doesn't have the right skill set to contribute to a team on a 3rd or 4th line. He belongs in the AHL. At least Rinaldo was a guy who could give a team energy, throw his body around, and drop the gloves when needed at a time when that still had some impact on the game.

B. Just because you can come up with one example of a team overpaying and making a bad trade, doesn't mean everyone else will.

C. Even IF Weal is the quality 4th liner you are making him out to be, bitching over Fletcher getting a 6th for him instead of a 5th is extremely pretty and shows that you and others simply aren't willing to give him any type of chance.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
:skeptic:

A. Rinaldo was still young and not a pending UFA. Do I really need to tell you that being a pending UFA lowers a players trade value? He was also a more effective 4th liner at the time than Weal is now. Weal is a scorer who isn't good enough to play on an NHL scoring line, but doesn't have the right skill set to contribute to a team on a 3rd or 4th line. He belongs in the AHL. At least Rinaldo was a guy who could give a team energy, throw his body around, and drop the gloves when needed at a time when that still had some impact on the game.

B. Just because you can come up with one example of a team overpaying and making a bad trade, doesn't mean everyone else will.

C. Even IF Weal is the quality 4th liner you are making him out to be, *****ing over Fletcher getting a 6th for him instead of a 5th is extremely pretty and shows that you and others simply aren't willing to give him any type of chance.

And how long do you plan on ignoring all red flags? What is the cutoff? A 6th is nothingness. Playoff teams are more than happy to get players like Weal for a 3rd or 4th.

My joking about firing him aside (Which began the moment he was hired), I have nothing against Fletcher. Despite your hysterical insistence I do. He hasn't proven much either way. However, it is pointless to ignore that he refused to call up any extra dman leaving the roster with only 6, and it is pointless to ignore that he didn't get value here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, so far Fletcher hasn't screwed up, so there's that.
I'm happy with anything they get for Weal, Weise and Folin, and if he can dump MacDonald without costing much.
Lehtera is just a matter of waiting for his expiration date.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
And how long do you plan on ignoring all red flags? What is the cutoff? A 6th is nothingness. Playoff teams are more than happy to get players like Weal for a 3rd or 4th.
What red flags are you referring to? Firing the coach Hextall wouldn't, or calling up the 20 year old goalie Hextall wouldn't who has made the team better? I see zero red flags but even if there were, I don't know, I think I'd give him more than 2 months before I start passing judgment. Especially when you consider the mess of a team he inherited.

As far as playoff teams being more than happy to give up 3rd and 4th round picks for "players like Weal" you are massively overrating him as a player. Quality 3rd/4th liners get that type of return for a playoff return, not fringe NHL players who belong in the AHL. Furthermore, try using common sense. If there were teams lining up to give up a 3rd or 4th for Weal, Fletcher would have gotten a 3rd or a 4th. I honestly can't even believe I am having this conversation with someone because it's that ridiculous.

Reactions: hatcher

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What red flags are you referring to? Firing the coach Hextall wouldn't, or calling up the 20 year old goalie Hextall wouldn't who has made the team better? I see zero red flags but even if there were, I don't know, I think I'd give him more than 2 months before I start passing judgment. Especially when you consider the mess of a team he inherited.

As far as playoff teams being more than happy to give up 3rd and 4th round picks for "players like Weal" you are massively overrating him as a player. Quality 3rd/4th liners get that type of return for a playoff return, not fringe NHL players who belong in the AHL. Furthermore, try using common sense. If there were teams lining up to give up a 3rd or 4th for Weal, Fletcher would have gotten a 3rd or a 4th. I honestly can't even believe I am having this conversation with someone because it's that ridiculous.

I'm referring to not bringing up Myers when there was ample opportunity and need and getting lesser value. These are red flags. You can cease with the strawman arguments by the way, that you have to resort to that shows the weakness of your position on its own merits.

They aren't team shattering or anything, but they are behaviors attributable to the GM and thus should not be ignored. We aren't talking a first time GM learning his way, either. Your logic about getting value if it is there also doesn't hold up. Exhibit A: Chiarelli. GM's automatically getting appropriate value is not a given. It's a thing they have to work for. Some of them are better at it than others. While we try to establish where Fletcher stands on that spectrum, ignoring trades because you want to pretend value is automatic is weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
At least these last few games have been fun. Scoring goals is entertaining!! Who knew?

Trying to be patient with the call ups but man it's getting hard (that's what she said).

Tiring watching AMac and Hagg ice the puck constantly and fail at zone exits.

Haven't we been through enough? Holy f***, give us Myers and NAK at least.

Reactions: DaphneLion

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

It's an eyebrow raiser when you consider that we are going to have to move excess prospects to make the roster better. What value will Fletcher be getting?

Come on man, using the Rinaldo trade as a comparison isn’t fair. Boston just blinked and Hextall took advantage.
Sure he could of gotten a better pick for Weal. But I couldn’t imagine more than a 4th. I dont think he will be anymore than what he is now.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
IMG_0311.JPG

Reactions: Striiker

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Rinaldo was an exciting player whether you want to admit it or not, esp to a team like Boston. When he was on the ice you watched Rinaldo just to see who he’s gonna check

Weal sucked and didn’t bring anything to the table

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Tbf, it's middle of the season. Not exactly the best time for a roster overhaul. We'll see what happens in the summer. I expect a lot to happen.

When you are in the basement of the NHL on a team that hasn't been relevant in 5+ years, anytime is a good time for a roster overhaul.

I was just making a joke though, I'm fine with Fletch so far.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad