GM Candidates

FanboySlayer*

If we are fortunate enough in that ownership decides that Regier is out as GM who are the candidates to replace him? We have an owner with pockets as deep as any in the league, no salary cap when it comes to management talent.

I have Rick Dudley, Brian Burke, Ted Nolan, Jason Botterill - I'm sure there are some other Assistant GM's in the league who have good reputations but unlike other sports you really don't hear much about up and coming management talent. There's also the ex-player route - i.e. Yzerman. Agent route i.e. Gillis. Scouts/Player Personell. CHL GMs.

I've always liked Dudley, has a reputation as a great talent evaluator, and is a total rink rat who is somewhere watching a hockey game live every night of the week. Ex-Sabre.

Burke did a great job in Toronto, that's his team on the ice in Toronto.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Take Ted Nolan off the list. I'll be shocked if he ever works in the NHL again.

FWIW, Kypreos also mentioned Pittsburgh's Tom Fitzgerald. Vogl's Inside the NHL column stated that Nashville Assistant GM Paul Fenton is keeping his eye on what the Sabres do with Regier, if anything.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I would say Hextall but I believe he is going to take over the Flyers if/when Holmgren is canned.

Botterill seems like a great selection.

I know it is tough to hire within and would not want it but I think Devine has potential to be a good GM down the line

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Give it to Bucky, and then fire him publicly at his introductory presser.

In seriousness though, I would go after Mike Johnston from the Portland Winterhawks...that guy knows how to assemble and develop a young team. Someone is going to make him a GM soon, and it should be Buffalo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Rick Dudley --> People can bash the pick as just hiring the guy because he played here when it doesn't work out.

Jason Botterill --> People can bash the pick as hiring a guy with no experience and going the cheap route.

Paul Fenton --> See Botterill.

I expect fans to kick around whomever is the GM of the team until the team is a winner.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Rick Dudley --> People can bash the pick as just hiring the guy because he played here when it doesn't work out.

Jason Botterill --> People can bash the pick as hiring a guy with no experience and going the cheap route.

Paul Fenton --> See Botterill.

I expect fans to kick around whomever is the GM of the team until the team is a winner.

100% agree. Unless the hire scotty bowman, few will have anything positive to say until they are a perrenial playoff team

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
100% agree. Unless the hire scotty bowman, few will have anything positive to say until they are a perrenial playoff team

Not true at all. New Gm starts new, meaning he is judged on what he actually does, not on what the past guy did.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not true at all. New Gm starts new, meaning he is judged on what he actually does, not on what the past guy did.

How long does the honeymoon last?

Too many fans will want the new guy to come in and shake things up by firing Rolston or making trades.

If the new guy comes in and chooses to sit back and take time to assess things, the natives will get restless quick.

Just look how quickly fans that wanted Ruff out have turned on Rolston.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
And then when DR is fired and the new guy comes in, sees that it's better to do nothing right now......the new guy is gonna get torn a new one.

What do you mean by nothing? You mean if the new guy comes in and think Rolston is the right coach? That is something right from the start.

A new GM would hire a new coach pretty quick.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
And then when DR is fired and the new guy comes in, sees that it's better to do nothing right now......the new guy is gonna get torn a new one.

-trade Vanek
-trade Miller
-wait until Stafford shows something then trade him
-Embrace the rebuild and allows us to fire Rolston(Darcy would put his job on the line if he did it now)

Personally I don't care how the new GM is perceived by the outside world(fans and media). It's clear that the organization is insulated from that perception as well. The way Darcy has handle his roster has been terrible. Since the Pominville trade, he hasn't done one thing well. I should mention that give most of the credit of the draft to Devine and the money spent by the owners in the scouting area.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'd be willing to give someone like Teppo a shot if he's interested.
A fresh POV (recently retired player) seems to have worked more often than not in recent years.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Scotty would get hammered as well due to his past history here.

Im just wondering, when people say stuff like this are they saying this is a reason not to fire Darcy?

It just seems so pointless to even mention. The fans are angry, and they have been angry for years. But why make it about only the fans? Does Darcy deserve to be fired? The answer is yes IMO.

I said a long time ago Pegula will find out the hard way, and thats exactly what he is doing. With Ruff 1st, now Regier.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Im just wondering, when people say stuff like this are they saying this is a reason not to fire Darcy?

It just seems so pointless to even mention. The fans are angry, and they have been angry for years. But why make it about only the fans? Does Darcy deserve to be fired? The answer is yes IMO.

I said a long time ago Pegula will find out the hard way, and thats exactly what he is doing. With Ruff 1st, now Regier.

My comment has nothing to do with Darcy.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My comment has nothing to do with Darcy.

People are saying it doesn't matter who the new GM is, fans would boo him right away. First of all I don't believe that is true, and second i dont know why it would even be brought up.

chadthestampede

The Humanoid Typhoon
Jan 20, 2011
-trade Vanek
-trade Miller
-wait until Stafford shows something then trade him
-Embrace the rebuild and allows us to fire Rolston(Darcy would put his job on the line if he did it now)

Personally I don't care how the new GM is perceived by the outside world(fans and media). It's clear that the organization is insulated from that perception as well. The way Darcy has handle his roster has been terrible. Since the Pominville trade, he hasn't done one thing well. I should mention that give most of the credit of the draft to Devine and the money spent by the owners in the scouting area.

Oh I forgot that this is NHL 14 and not real life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad