GM Candidates

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
With the way people talk about Regier, it's as if people forgot that we've been a c**t hair away from winning the cup twice (I consider '05-'06 pretty close, and am confident that we'd have spanked Edmonton if our D wasnt decimated by injuries). I'd like to let Regier see this re-build through, but I wouldn't be super upset if the organization decided to can him. If that's the case, first choice is Botteril. I hope he learned a thing or two from Shero, who I view as one of the best GMs out there. Wouldn't be angry with Dudley, either.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
With the way people talk about Regier, it's as if people forgot that we've been a c**t hair away from winning the cup twice (I consider '05-'06 pretty close, and am confident that we'd have spanked Edmonton if our D wasnt decimated by injuries).

That hair was him not getting a veteran defenseman at the trade deadline.
My dog would've made that move, it was so obvious at the time.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Ultimately all personnel decisions are made by Regier. You can paint whatever picture you'd like to make Devine the hero and Regier the goat, but that point destroys that argument. Your points of Devine having to sell Zadorov to Regier and "clearly" being responsible for Zadorov and Ristolainen being drafted are baseless. For all we know Regier made those calls over guys Devine liked more.
I want nothing to do with bringing in veterans to this team while we're rebuilding. Let the kids play and grow, while we have a higher chance at landing a high pick. There's still time to move Vanek and Miller and I trust Regier to maximize the value he gets for them.
The problem is he's not painting a picture. We have video evidence of the Sabres draft table and Devine steering the first two selections. I'm guessing you haven't watched the video.

http://youtu.be/ksty-Sn5NEQ

To your second point, if you haven't noticed, veterans like Tallinder and McBain are taking away games from kids.

Grigorenko is losing games to guys like McCormick and Porter.

There are examples of veterans taking away time and games from the kids.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'd also like them to chat with Jeff Gorton, the AGM of the Rangers. He was the interim GM of the Bruins between O'Connell and Chiarelli. During his short stint in the GM chair, he pulled off the Raycroft-for-Rask heist, and made chicken salad out of the chicken **** 2006 Draft (Dennis Persson, anyone?), drafting Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand.

Wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Norm Maciver gets some consideration if Sabres are looking for a GM

Is currently Hawks assistant GM (2nd season as that) and has been with organization for 7 years (Previously was Director of Player Personnel for a season and as Director of Player Development for three seasons)

Stan Bowman has already lost 2 assistant GM's in recent years to promotion. Kevin Cheveldayoff was hired as Jets GM and Marc Bergevin as Habs

Interesting name. But I'd think that with Black's and Sawyer's connections to the Penguins organization, it'll be one of Botterill or Fitzgerald. Botterill is a sharp guy, and his stint in our organization probably doesn't hurt his cause, either.
Gorton and Maciver may bring winning pedigrees in assistant roles, but Zip15 hit the nail on the head when he referenced our heavy Pittsburgh connections. I'd think that the favorite would have to be Botterill, as he's done well in his role to get the Pens cap compliant.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Gorton and Maciver may bring winning pedigrees in assistant roles, but Zip15 hit the nail on the head when he referenced our heavy Pittsburgh connections. I'd think that the favorite would have to be Botterill, as he's done well in his role to get the Pens cap compliant.

The biggest question about Botterill is just his lack of experience as the top guy.

It would be really interesting to see what the interviews were like when they go about hiring the next GM of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->