GM Candidates

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd also like them to chat with Jeff Gorton, the AGM of the Rangers. He was the interim GM of the Bruins between O'Connell and Chiarelli. During his short stint in the GM chair, he pulled off the Raycroft-for-Rask heist, and made chicken salad out of the chicken **** 2006 Draft (Dennis Persson, anyone?), drafting Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Oh I forgot that this is NHL 14 and not real life.

I think that if a new GM comes in, he's going to bring a mandate for change. Trade rumors have been flying about Miller and Vanek for quite a while. Most people agree Stafford should be traded, it's more a matter of who'll take him. But all in all, it's not really a leap of faith to think that the next guy will want to shake things up. Fresh faces in the locker could be a great motivator for this team to get to work.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'd also like them to chat with Jeff Gorton, the AGM of the Rangers. He was the interim GM of the Bruins between O'Connell and Chiarelli. During his short stint in the GM chair, he pulled off the Raycroft-for-Rask heist, and made chicken salad out of the chicken **** 2006 Draft (Dennis Persson, anyone?), drafting Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand.

I would be interested in him as well

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
How long does the honeymoon last?

Too many fans will want the new guy to come in and shake things up by firing Rolston or making trades.

If the new guy comes in and chooses to sit back and take time to assess things, the natives will get restless quick.

Just look how quickly fans that wanted Ruff out have turned on Rolston.
Just because they finally canned Ruff doesn't mean they picked the right guy to replace him. The flack Rolston is taking is already well deserved. It's not like it's baseless criticism.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Just because they finally canned Ruff doesn't mean they picked the right guy to replace him. The flack Rolston is taking is already well deserved. It's not like it's baseless criticism.

I expect the same things would happen if they changed GMs mid-season.

I would expect a new GM to hold pat until the trade deadline and the cries would start anew from the impatient fans.

Fans want a GM to come in and start making big moves like replacing Rolston and trading away guys. I doubt you see that happen even if they were to replace Regier, which they aren't.

FanboySlayer*

Isn't this a downgrade for Burke, since he is above a GM right now?

"Burke will be an adviser to Feaster.

“I’m not the general manager of the Calgary Flames,†he declared. “Jay Feaster is. He is going to be in charge, but with my guidance.

“I think I add a value. I’ve been able to fix just about every team I’ve worked for, sometimes quicker than others.â€

Burke’s contract with the Flames doesn’t have a set term, but is instead an open-ended work agreement."

I can't see Brian Burke being happy for long without full control over the personnel - maybe he has that in Calgary and Feaster is just his puppet now.

His deal with Calgary is open ended - could mean Burke took the job with the thought it's temporary until he can take over another NHL team as GM in full command.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
"Burke will be an adviser to Feaster.

“I’m not the general manager of the Calgary Flames,†he declared. “Jay Feaster is. He is going to be in charge, but with my guidance.

“I think I add a value. I’ve been able to fix just about every team I’ve worked for, sometimes quicker than others.â€

Burke’s contract with the Flames doesn’t have a set term, but is instead an open-ended work agreement."

I can't see Brian Burke being happy for long without full control over the personnel - maybe he has that in Calgary and Feaster is just his puppet now.

His deal with Calgary is open ended - could mean Burke took the job with the thought it's temporary until he can take over another NHL team as GM in full command.

I'd like Burke in here. Any reason not to? He definitely makes bold moves.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I expect the same things would happen if they changed GMs mid-season.

I would expect a new GM to hold pat until the trade deadline and the cries would start anew from the impatient fans.

Fans want a GM to come in and start making big moves like replacing Rolston and trading away guys. I doubt you see that happen even if they were to replace Regier, which they aren't.
Well, I didn't expect to see the Sabres win a lot of games this season. What I did expect, though, is a competitive pulse from shift to shift, player to player, game to game. I expected the players that work the hardest to get rewarded with ice time and responsibility. That was the mantra from the owner after last seasons debacle. Work. Hard work. If you're not a hard worker, you're not going to be part of this. Well? What's the hold up? Start trading the veterans that are consistently out-worked. ie; Drew Stafford. Ville Leino has worked hard for about 2 shifts in his entire Sabres career. Why exactly is he still here? If they can't be traded, then waive them, or they should have used an amnesty on at least one of them before the season started. Move on already. I know Myers is still young, but he gets out-worked all the time. When does he get watch Ristolainen from the pressbox for once?

The coach has changed, yet nothing has changed. Maybe Regier is the guy that makes the call on the game night roster, because this is all too familiar.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
-trade Vanek
-trade Miller
-wait until Stafford shows something then trade him
-Embrace the rebuild and allows us to fire Rolston(Darcy would put his job on the line if he did it now)

Personally I don't care how the new GM is perceived by the outside world(fans and media). It's clear that the organization is insulated from that perception as well. The way Darcy has handle his roster has been terrible. Since the Pominville trade, he hasn't done one thing well. I should mention that give most of the credit of the draft to Devine and the money spent by the owners in the scouting area.

So the GM of the team gets no credit for the players he drafted? That's ludicrous.
The only thing I've really been upset with was retaining Rolston without even interviewing anyone else. I do see Rolston as just a placeholder at this point until we're competive again so I won't crucify Regier.
This isn't a great time to fire Regier. Let him maximize the return on Miller and Vanek and continue re-stocking the pipeline. I finally think we're heading in the right direction.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
So the GM of the team gets no credit for the players he drafted? That's ludicrous.
The only thing I've really been upset with was retaining Rolston without even interviewing anyone else. I do see Rolston as just a placeholder at this point until we're competive again so I won't crucify Regier.
This isn't a great time to fire Regier. Let him maximize the return on Miller and Vanek and continue re-stocking the pipeline. I finally think we're heading in the right direction.

Maybe. But people have excused his dry spell in the draft because of his lack of scouting and overall financial cuts by ownership at the time. I'm just simply excusing his recent success because of his over abundance of scouting and financial investments in the area. It was clearly Devine who loved both Risto and Zadorov. It seemed like Devine also had to sell big Z to the table in the Beyond Blue and Gold series.
The only part of the draft that Darcy played a prominent role in was the Sekera trade. Now, I think Compher has a good chance ending up being the best player of the trade but he also would have probably fell to Buffalo at 38. Darcy's logic for acquiring McBain no longer makes sense to me. He said that they wanted him for his RH shot yet this roster is usually made up of more RHD then LHD(one is Ehrhoff who prefers the right side) on any given night.
Since the word suffering, Darcy has:

-Hire an ill-prepared coach in Ron Rolston with no interview process
-Had a good draft under his watch but didnt maximize his value when trading Sekera.
-did nothing to acquire veterans through free agency other than in rochester and trading for Tallinder. Even though as Dallas showed last year that you can sign them and then trade them at the deadline. Free agents are free assets.
-didn't trade Vanek or Miller
-has completely mismanaged this team since the start of the regular season.

Like someone else said, I want a GM like Jarmo, someone with a background of player development/scouting. Someone who can fire Rolston without fear of losing their job. Who knows, maybe Darcy is waiting to trade Van and Miller because he knows that's the only reason why he is still here. Now is as good as time as any to fire Darcy. As others have said, the new GM can do little now in terms of moves and improvements. That will give the man/woman time to figure out what they have in terms of assets and settle into the new positon.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
A Marc Bergevin clone would be good with me. That guy oozes class, leadership and confidence.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Maybe. But people have excused his dry spell in the draft because of his lack of scouting and overall financial cuts by ownership at the time. I'm just simply excusing his recent success because of his over abundance of scouting and financial investments in the area. It was clearly Devine who loved both Risto and Zadorov. It seemed like Devine also had to sell big Z to the table in the Beyond Blue and Gold series.
The only part of the draft that Darcy played a prominent role in was the Sekera trade. Now, I think Compher has a good chance ending up being the best player of the trade but he also would have probably fell to Buffalo at 38. Darcy's logic for acquiring McBain no longer makes sense to me. He said that they wanted him for his RH shot yet this roster is usually made up of more RHD then LHD(one is Ehrhoff who prefers the right side) on any given night.
Since the word suffering, Darcy has:

-Hire an ill-prepared coach in Ron Rolston with no interview process
-Had a good draft under his watch but didnt maximize his value when trading Sekera.
-did nothing to acquire veterans through free agency other than in rochester and trading for Tallinder. Even though as Dallas showed last year that you can sign them and then trade them at the deadline. Free agents are free assets.
-didn't trade Vanek or Miller
-has completely mismanaged this team since the start of the regular season.

Ultimately all personnel decisions are made by Regier. You can paint whatever picture you'd like to make Devine the hero and Regier the goat, but that point destroys that argument. Your points of Devine having to sell Zadorov to Regier and "clearly" being responsible for Zadorov and Ristolainen being drafted are baseless. For all we know Regier made those calls over guys Devine liked more.
I want nothing to do with bringing in veterans to this team while we're rebuilding. Let the kids play and grow, while we have a higher chance at landing a high pick. There's still time to move Vanek and Miller and I trust Regier to maximize the value he gets for them.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Im not a Brian Burke fan and I know hes president of Flames.But would he not be the ideal GM of the Phil Flyers Im mean didnt son work for them.And even Buufalo would be ideal he was born and raised in east coast of usa

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Matthew Barnaby.....the Islanders games would become epic. He seems to know what he's doing more than Garth Snow.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Kevin Devine is the assistant GM right now so he would probably get the nod at this point.

If they have decided that they need a few years of basement dwelling to try and grab the Reinharts and McDavids of the draft then not much will be done to improve this team. Getting the kids out of here before they become damaged by this mess though is crucial. Let them go to their junior teams and The Amerks and have some level of success this year.

This is ugly but next year without Vanek, Miller and probably Ott will makeright now look like heaven. If McDavid id the end result though, I will gladly take my medicine now and next year.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Could you imagine if Burke came in here and Vancouver canned Torts and he was brought in to coach. The pressers with those two squaring off with the Buffalo News crew would be the greatest entertainment value known to man!! drools:)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Norm Maciver gets some consideration if Sabres are looking for a GM

Is currently Hawks assistant GM (2nd season as that) and has been with organization for 7 years (Previously was Director of Player Personnel for a season and as Director of Player Development for three seasons)

Stan Bowman has already lost 2 assistant GM's in recent years to promotion. Kevin Cheveldayoff was hired as Jets GM and Marc Bergevin as Habs

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I'd like to give Vaclav Varada a shot at GM. :sarcasm:

But seriously,

Does anyone believe RR will last the entire season as head coach? I don't, but there should be a pool started. RR dismissal watch.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Norm Maciver gets some consideration if Sabres are looking for a GM

Is currently Hawks assistant GM (2nd season as that) and has been with organization for 7 years (Previously was Director of Player Personnel for a season and as Director of Player Development for three seasons)

Stan Bowman has already lost 2 assistant GM's in recent years to promotion. Kevin Cheveldayoff was hired as Jets GM and Marc Bergevin as Habs

Interesting name. But I'd think that with Black's and Sawyer's connections to the Penguins organization, it'll be one of Botterill or Fitzgerald. Botterill is a sharp guy, and his stint in our organization probably doesn't hurt his cause, either.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

So far that's the best argument for anyone yet, so I'm with you on this one.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
I'd be willing to give someone like Teppo a shot if he's interested.
A fresh POV (recently retired player) seems to have worked more often than not in recent years.

Teppo?

Based on what?

Besides, he sounds like one of the Marx brothers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad