Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto chimes in

FLUTO SHINZAWA | ON HOCKEY
Bruins are in no rush to name a new GM

But it has been business as usual for the Bruins amid their search.

Neely is speaking with other GMs about league matters. He is involved in negotiations with Edmonton regarding draft compensation for hiring Chiarelli. Sweeney is talking with agents about future contracts. The assistant GM, whose background is in player development, is preparing for the combine and draft.

The only reason the search has lasted for over a month may be that the Bruins are seeking an opportunity to interview Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton, whose team is still playing.

“They’ve been waiting for something, and that’s Jeff,†said an NHL source. “That much is clear.â€

Gorton, who was the assistant GM in Boston for seven seasons and interim GM in 2006, has two strong backers among his former employers: CEO Charlie Jacobs and former GM Harry Sinden.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've been under the impression that FO wanted to appear like they are considering candidates other than Sweeney, rather than truly considering them and he's the guy.

This is weird, especially considering how unlikely we are to get permission, we can't pay the price for him since as Dom mentions we don't have possession of our own 2nd rounders until 2017 and there's question of why Gorton would even leave the situation he's in. Not sure what to make of it.

I feel like we had an out on the Gorton consideration when NYR won their series, Bruins could say they can't put everything on hold forever just to interview him.

Pretty much everyone I trust with connections has said Sweeney's the guy, no doubt. What's the deal here? I don't see a massive sense of urgency in naming the GM but it just seems strange.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
I apologize if this question has already been asked earlier in the 1st thread.

If Gorton has such close ties to Charlie Jacobs and is being credited with the shrewd pre-Chiarelli trades / drafts, why in the heck was he passed over in favour of Chiarelli and subsequently let go?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

If Gorton has such close ties to Charlie Jacobs and is being credited with the shrewd pre-Chiarelli trades / drafts, why in the heck was he passed over in favour of Chiarelli and subsequently let go?

Charlie was of the mindset that they needed to bring in an outsider to change the culture of the team. Chia pretty much broomed everyone in the front office.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Back in 2006 Charlie didn't have the same clout and it was more JJ who opted to hire Chiarelli.

Gorton didn't make trades as interim GM until after Chiarelli was already named as Bruins GM because Ottawa wouldn't let Chiarelli leave his contract. Even as a Gorton supporter I will admit it is too much to credit him for all of those moves but it was a heck of a showing by him as interim GM.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Bruce Cassidy, Providence’s head coach the last four seasons, would be a candidate to replace Julien. Sweeney holds Cassidy in high regard.

This right here scares the hell out of me and seems to go against what Dan has been saying?:help:

The rumors and facts this offseason have been chilling. From Milbury or Cassidy as coach to Harry advising to George McPhee being interviewed. It's like the Bs are threatening to have their Red Sox Bobby Valentine moment. If any of these guys get hired, just insert that gif of the guy calmly walking out the office window.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I can't bekieve the Bruins are waiting for maybe 2 months to ASK for permission to speak to Gorton.

Let's cut the bull crap. I call up my long time best buds I ask them if I can or not. Sather very likely said yes after talking to Gorton if this is something he really wants. They don't need the distraction or rumors interfere with playoffs

I bet he's already got the ok to interview after and I bet they brought Harry out of moth balls to be the liaison and get answer

I also think it will lead to a complete overhaul of front office

I also think it will end up a very unwise move

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This right here scares the hell out of me and seems to go against what Dan has been saying?:help:

The rumors and facts this offseason have been chilling. From Milbury or Cassidy as coach to Harry advising to George McPhee being interviewed. It's like the Bs are threatening to have their Red Sox Bobby Valentine moment. If any of these guys get hired, just insert that gif of the guy calmly walking out the office window.

Wow ha ha.....if Cassidy were to coach Boston I would love to watch him work in the Boston spot light. I like chaos so bring him on

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I don't buy it, probably just towing the company line. That line is probably just for show. Sweeney not badmouthing Cassidy and saying he is a great coach is akin to Chiarelli telling the media that he has confidence in Dave Lewis and is confident in his coaching abilities and is going nowhere.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can't bekieve the Bruins are waiting for maybe 2 months to ASK for permission to speak to Gorton.

Let's cut the bull crap. I call up my long time best buds I ask them if I can or not. Sather very likely said yes after talking to Gorton if this is something he really wants. They don't need the distraction or rumors interfere with playoffs

I bet he's already got the ok to interview after and I bet they brought Harry out of moth balls to be the liaison and get answer

The PC pitch fork crowd is looking better by the minute.

Good job, Virginia.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I don't buy it, probably just towing the company line. That line is probably just for show. Sweeney not badmouthing Cassidy and saying he is a great coach is akin to Chiarelli telling the media that he has confidence in Dave Lewis and is confident in his coaching abilities and is going nowhere.

Chiarelli had confidence in Dave Lewis until JJ told him that was a bad idea

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m wondering how Sweeney feels about all of this. I don`t doubt that he has a solid understanding of the business and a team doing it`s due diligence but to have to sit there and wait for a candidate`s team to be ousted to find out about your future can`t be a warm and fuzzy feeling when your sitting there ready and willing to take on the new challenge?

I can see it now, Bruins/Sinden/Whomever the he** are running things speak to Gorton, Gorton either says no or doesn`t impress, B`s go back to Sweeney and he says take a long walk off a short bridge, B`s scramble around, desperate, hire someone nowhere near as qualified as either:(

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
we can all agree then its Sweeney or Gorton, with Sweeney the favorite. I think they just want to do their do diligence and at least try to interview Gorton

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I`m wondering how Sweeney feels about all of this. I don`t doubt that he has a solid understanding of the business and a team doing it`s due diligence but to have to sit there and wait for a candidate`s team to be ousted to find out about your future can`t be a warm and fuzzy feeling when your sitting there ready and willing to take on the new challenge?

I can see it now, Bruins/Sinden/Whomever the he** are running things speak to Gorton, Gorton either says no or doesn`t impress, B`s go back to Sweeney and he says take a long walk off a short bridge, B`s scramble around, desperate, hire someone nowhere near as qualified as either:(

No. Everyone knows how everyone feels. Sinden has already talked to Sather. Gorton has already talked to Charlie. Sweeney and Neely are aligned and know their likely long term roles or employment is on hold. Gorton is good but the dominos and even compensation will be on,

Gorton will come in and expected to turn water into wine.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
I pray that management is just trolling its fan base so as to keep the team in the news as we approach draft / free agency time and that Sweeney will be announced before the start of the Stanley Cup Finals ( Bettman will probably not want any major team announcements during the Cup Finals).

However I have seen too many good businesses go down hill after Dad's keys fell into the hands of one of the family and reading the various posts the last couple of days has me shaking my head as to what is really going on in the front office.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

If you are right and the B's have already had Sinden put out feelers and they know they can talk to Gorton, and are seriously considering hiring him, I think it's a HUGE mistake. I like Gorton, even though I think he gets way too much credit for the Chia interim stuff, but if he is brought in it will lead to massive changes and instability IMO.

If they bring Gorton in:

1) Sweeney, who according to reports has been instrumental in things like the B's Development Camp, will most certainly be gone.

2) Neely would potentially be gone. I think that Sweeney is to Neely what Blue was to Frank the Tank in "Old School". If Gorton is here, that's a Jacobs move and I can't believe that Neely would take it well.

3) Bradley could potentially be gone. If there is anything to the stories surrounding Lucic being drafted, he was Bradley's guy and wanted him with their first pick in the 2nd round. Instead Gorton went with Alexandrov, and Bradley was supposedly really upset by the lack of trust. Bradley has since risen to a much higher position of authority. Gorton would be his boss.

4) I have to think that Gorton is going to want to bring some of his own guys into the scouting department a year after the B's already revamped and got a good draft (it seems) out of Keith Gretzky. In addition, Gorton is an evaluator, so I'm sure he's been scouting and has his own ideas about who he wants to take. Does that jive with what Gretzky and Co want?

5) What does Gorton do with Clode? While the B's are waiting for Gorton, potential coaching candidates are being hired elsewhere. Does this mean that the B's tell him part of the deal is keeping Clode, at least for now. How is that going to sit?

6) If Gorton comes in, he brings a fresh perspective, but he also brings a lack of familiarity with both pro personnel and prospects. He will need time to evaluate and if the Rags go deeper into the playoffs, there is less and less time for him to evaluate before the draft, which is where I need the B's need right make some moves if they want to retool.

7) Compensation. Gorton will require it, Sweeney doesn't.

So, do I like Gorton? Yup.

Do I like Gorton better than Sweeney, Neely, Bradley, Gretzky, and a draft pick?

Not at this point. Not when the B's need some change, but not instability.

member 96824

Hearing if Gorton gets hired the Bruins would leave Boston.

I kid I kid, but these are all adults. The front office isn't as "days of our lives" as we sometimes make it out to be.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Hearing if Gorton gets hired the Bruins would leave Boston.

I kid I kid, but these are all adults. The front office isn't as "days of our lives" as we sometimes make it out to be.

Every workplace in America is a soap opera.

Sweeney would be gone for sure and the Gorton domino effect would be greater than you think.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I love reading the spins by Sweeney fans.

What spin?

Personally, I think that Sweeney is a better fit for where the B's are right now than Gorton. I thought the B's FO was more in sync than it apparently is? That's not a good thing IMO.

You just want Gorton in because you think it's more likely he turfs Clode :laugh:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
What spin?

Personally, I think that Sweeney is a better fit for where the B's are right now than Gorton. I thought the B's FO was more in sync than it apparently is? That's not a good thing IMO.

You just want Gorton in because you think it's more likely he turfs Clode :laugh:

Well in fairness that's not a terrible argument.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Every workplace in America is a soap opera.

Sweeney would be gone for sure and the Gorton domino effect would be greater than you think.

I actually don't think Sweeney will be gone if he's not named GM. And for the record, I believe he will be named GM.

But "IF" not, he'll remain assistant GM/ P-Bruins GM with the added title of Director of Player Personnel and vice president of hockey ops where he gets to work even closer with Neely and be GM X's boss.

Not possible? Never happened before?

Look no further then Craig Heisinger of the Winnipeg Jets. Senior Vice President, Assistant GM, Director of Player Personnel and Manager of their AHL affiliate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad