GDT: Gm 80: Boston Bruins @ Winnipeg Jets | 4/10/14 | 8P ET | NESN+ | 98.5 FM

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I feel like i should care about this loss, but i don't.

Playoffs locked up, home ice through the conference playoffs, etc.

Quite frankly, i don't want the President's Trophy. Thing's a curse i tells ya.

Since the lockout, 25% of the teams that have won the trophy have won the cup. There would have to be 4 contending teams or fewer every year for that statistic to be low enough to be considered anything close to a curse. And the six years preceding the lockout (before the salary cap made the competition a bit tighter), half the teams won the cup.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I think what the Bs are doing right now is pretty nifty: collecting just enough points each night to stay ahead in terms of home ice, and resting key players while giving the frostbitten folk of Minnesota and Manitoba a night of late-game thrills

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
We EPIC FAIL at Shootouts!! Thank god playoff games are not decided by shootout or we'd be in HUGE trouble! Hopefully we can hang on to win the President's Trophy though!!

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
“Our top line was by far our worst of the night,†Julien said before turning his attention to the rest of the club. “As a team, we lost races and battles to a team that skated for over an our yesterday. To me, it just showed that there wasn’t much interest in the game tonight. Hopefully it’s just a bit of a phase that we’re going through and we can pick up our game. Because as I keep telling those guys, bad habits creep in quickly, and they’re hard to break. Hopefully we got that message tonight.â€

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Team just needs to win on Saturday against Buffalo.

The Bruins have Buffalo and the Devils their next two games.

The Ducks have the Kings and Avalanche.

I think the Bruins chances of locking up first is far more likely than not.

And I could be wrong but I figure for the last home game the Bruins are going to ice a team that's pretty close to the playoff roster. Bruins fans don't pay a fortune to see Chara and Bergy in the pressbox plus it's shirts off their backs day.

I think the team will be fine.

But insure hope I don't see a team play as badly as they did last night.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
“Our top line was by far our worst of the night,†Julien said before turning his attention to the rest of the club. “As a team, we lost races and battles to a team that skated for over an our yesterday. To me, it just showed that there wasn’t much interest in the game tonight. Hopefully it’s just a bit of a phase that we’re going through and we can pick up our game. Because as I keep telling those guys, bad habits creep in quickly, and they’re hard to break. Hopefully we got that message tonight.â€

Not totally an excuse but that top line hasn't been the usual top line for a week. They were absolutely off a bit.

The bottom 6 wasn't so hot and Spooner is no Bergeron but love his speed.

There was no transition game and the one thing inthinknhe take for granted because it's so normal for him is how well Chara is at breaking up and often shutting down the other teams rush. Chara's positioning and stick work make the opposition work to get into our zone and the Hets were getting in there at will last night.

Johnson was the best player on the ice.

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
I wonder....why didn't the media ask CJ about not using his time out when it was obvious that they were chasing the play all over the ice and getting out worked in their own zone....all while holding the slim lead. He needed to settle them down and/or chew their butts there.....did nothing. Can't be resting your coaching the last few games. Gotta practice what you preach and finish strong.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Then open your eyes. St Louis is in free fall losing 4 straight games with no shootouts!and if Colorado wins tonight, they will lose 1st place in their division and have to play Chicago in the 1st round of the playoffs so they have had something to play for.

St Louis has its Stanley Cup hopes laying on the shoulders of Ryan Loser Miller. Anyone expecting them to accomplish anything is in for a shock. Colorado is such a young team that they should only expect to make the playoffs, just like the Hawks right before they turned into a powerhouse.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I wonder....why didn't the media ask CJ about not using his time out when it was obvious that they were chasing the play all over the ice and getting out worked in their own zone....all while holding the slim lead. He needed to settle them down and/or chew their butts there.....did nothing. Can't be resting your coaching the last few games. Gotta practice what you preach and finish strong.

There may be a time in the playoffs when they won't have a timeout, and they'll need to settle themselves. There also could be times when players find themselves with unexpected linemates or defensive partners. You can practice all you want, but nothing matches game conditions, and these games are the perfect opportunity to learn to deal with the unexpected.

I don't blame Julien for not being happy, as even if this is little more than very intense practice, you practice as you play. He's not keying on the final result right now, but on performance. Silver lining - he has some real teaching points he can use now, and coaches love those. ;)

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I'm concerned.

I'm prolly being a bit hypocritical, cuz for a week or so I've been freely admitting that these games mean almost nothing, and it doesn't matter whether they win or lose, what matters is how they play.

Thing is, they haven't been playing well. Last night, and against Minny, and Philly, you could feel it slipping away.

I don't care who is resting, if you sit back and allow the other team to gain the zone with speed, you're going to give up goals, and it's been a weakness of the Bruins for quite a while now. They have a hard time dealing with speed, and it's showing.

And, I'm sure if we see it, other coaching staffs are already formulating game plans.

It would be one thing if they were clearly coming out and not trying to win, but they look like they're trying, just not clicking.

I know, they looked sucky down the stretch last year, so hopfully I'm over-reacting, but I'm a little a-scared.

OutspokenMinority*

On a positive note, that Krejci pass to Iginla was Gretzky-esque. Reilly sure seemed more aggressive and Bart did some good things too.

OutspokenMinority*

I'm concerned.

I'm prolly being a bit hypocritical, cuz for a week or so I've been freely admitting that these games mean almost nothing, and it doesn't matter whether they win or lose, what matters is how they play.

Thing is, they haven't been playing well. Last night, and against Minny, and Philly, you could feel it slipping away.

I don't care who is resting, if you sit back and allow the other team to gain the zone with speed, you're going to give up goals, and it's been a weakness of the Bruins for quite a while now. They have a hard time dealing with speed, and it's showing.

And, I'm sure if we see it, other coaching staffs are already formulating game plans.

It would be one thing if they were clearly coming out and not trying to win, but they look like they're trying, just not clicking.

I know, they looked sucky down the stretch last year, so hopfully I'm over-reacting, but I'm a little a-scared.

i feel the exact same way. hypocritically concerned. probably best to just look the other way at this point.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm concerned.

Playing devil's advocate here...

What if they were sailing along, getting fat and happy, and going into the playoffs thinking "no sweat, we got this, easy peasy"?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Three of the best players in the game were Hutch, Wheeler, and Stuart. Motivation is a good thing

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
didn`t see nor record the game, I did see the boxscore and observe Spooner was playing, that should appease a few here

I`m not one bit concerned about this late season hiccup where Caron is in the lineup, Krug is rocking the wing on the 4th line and I suspect on Saturday, Whitesides will take over the 1A position for kicks:)

member 96824

St Louis has its Stanley Cup hopes laying on the shoulders of Ryan Loser Miller. Anyone expecting them to accomplish anything is in for a shock. Colorado is such a young team that they should only expect to make the playoffs, just like the Hawks right before they turned into a powerhouse.

If Miller falters, they do have Elliott and Allen in the pipe...both who have shown they can play STL's system very well, and do it under pressure.

IMO, if they lose...it's because offensively, they couldn't handle the losses of TJ Oshie, Vlad Tarasenko, and the injury to David Backes

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
didn`t see nor record the game, I did see the boxscore and observe Spooner was playing, that should appease a few here

I`m not one bit concerned about this late season hiccup where Caron is in the lineup, Krug is rocking the wing on the 4th line and I suspect on Saturday, Whitesides will take over the 1A position for kicks:)

Spooner was electric on some of his passes- lot of talent; what was interesting was the pregame on the radio where Claude held nothing back on why Ryan was sent down and what they expect of him. It was quite impressive of Claude to be so forthright but a bit surprised. I think its all there for Ryan he is so close he just needs to do exactly as Julien outlined. Very impressed with both Ryan with the puck and his ability to get open.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Three of the best players in the game were Hutch, Wheeler, and Stuart. Motivation is a good thing

Well let's hope the Bruins & Stars don't meet in the Finals, last thing this team needs to face is a speedy motivated Seguin & a 'chip-on-his-shoulder Timmy..

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Spooner was electric on some of his passes- lot of talent; what was interesting was the pregame on the radio where Claude held nothing back on why Ryan was sent down and what they expect of him. It was quite impressive of Claude to be so forthright but a bit surprised. I think its all there for Ryan he is so close he just needs to do exactly as Julien outlined. Very impressed with both Ryan with the puck and his ability to get open.

What did he say?

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I'm happy for Hutch. I remember seeing him in Providence, he was such a nice guy to the young fans. Always left a lasting impression on me. I'll listen to INXS on my jog in dedication of his strong performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad