GDT: GM#7 LA Kings vs New York Islanders @7:30 10/18/18

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Coaching at this level is more than X’s and O’s, more than the system. I don’t think the players are clear in what they have to do on the ice, but I’m really not all that down on the systematic changes Stevens has made. Things have been opened up and are more reactive, guys are taking chances, and so on.

Where I think Stevens is incredibly weak is player ice management, lineup choices, and leadership. He’s terrible at matchups. That’s amplified because Sutter was really strong with that, but it’s something he struggles with. Same thing with the lineups, although he looks to be growing more flexible and is trying new things, which is an improvement. His worst quality is his leadership, in my opinion. When asked difficult questions or about team struggles, he doesn’t know how to answer. He appears to not really understand what is going wrong when things fall apart. We are used to a cocky coach who wouldn’t give a straight answer if he didn’t feel like it, but there was no doubt Sutter could pinpoint exactly why the team lost a game and what went wrong. I don’t get that feeling with Stevens at all, he’s more like a person who doesn’t know the answer and says whatever.

It’s probably why we were told by Flyers fans that he’s a good assistant but not suited for head coaching. He’s strong strategically and fairly good with systems and theory. A head coach has to be good with the mental side, and he’s just not. It’s why I think he doesn’t know what to say about the team sometimes, if it’s not a tactical issue but a mental one he literally can’t identify it. Look at his quotes from last night. He said disappointed like 5 times, and then “I can’t explain it, to be honest with you”. He doesn’t get that part of the game.

Probably the best description I've seen.

I wish he could be an assistant eternally.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I strongly disagree with anyone saying it is only the roster or only the coaching.

Just like it's not only the drafting or only the development.

I do think there are differing degrees of causality. I think development's a lot more lackluster than the drafting. I think it's 50/50 between coaching and the roster.

The organization needs an overhaul in several aspects.
I agree, there are many factors.

I wonder if Luc thinks it could be the fans, or maybe the volume on the piped in crowd noise isn't turned up high enough. :)

Reactions: King'sPawn

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Just the bold part got a question about,

I don't watch the press conferences, because like I said earlier, you are gonna get a cliched etc,

Now, it very well can be what you said up above, but could it also be that he is "protecting" the players, not calling them out in the media etc, that he does know what the problem is/was/can be on any certain question but is reluctant to throw a player to the media wolves, because you as you put it in your first paragraph, coaching at that level, is more than systems, more than x's and o's etc,

I don’t think he’s protecting anyone, his facial expressions and body language say it all. When they pan to him on the bench after something bad happens he’s usually staring at the ice or has his head down. He’s not glaring at players or going to talk to anyone like most other coaches do. After a goal they often pace up and down the back of the bench, trying to fire guys up or give one of them an earful for a mistake. Stevens is literally always standing there like he doesn’t know how to react.

Just a couple games ago he said how the team needs to play better in front of Campbell. How he didn’t like how the opposition was getting position in front of the net, how they were easily getting shots through, how they were turning the puck over and it ended up in the net, and so on. A couple games before it was the team was on their heels, not assertive enough, can’t sit back, and so on.

One thing you rarely, if ever, see Stevens quote about is preparation. It’s always like the above - positioning, feet moving, blocking shots, turnovers, and so on. It’s never the mental preparation side of things, or the team not coming out with any passion or fire, nothing of the sort. That’s the very thing Sutter hit on every game and how he got the most out of the roster for the first few years. Yea, the roster got tired of it, but what’s more important, a content locker room or a winning one? Even the player responses are strange, things you don’t normally hear them say. Jdub would have said “We sucked, we weren’t ready, starting with me. I need to be better. We need to be better.” That whole aspect is missing - the expectations and accountability. That starts from the top.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
I know it was you, I was just being kind.

I've never said I was all that special, its people like you that tend to bestow that on me, I have said I have more experience in the game here than most posters here, and a few have taken that and ran with it. Usually it's those with anger issues who have to have someone to blame on a loss, and end up completely fumbling the analysis on a play and just end the post with, THIS TEAM SUCKS and can't give a rational reason as to why or what actually happened.

Team clearly isnt playing up to expectations, most people put that on the coach, I don't not yet, it could be, but I think Kings17 and Herby are also right, it's a roster problem, and if you change the coach and it turns out to be a roster problem, you didn't solve anything.

Blake and Management needs to have a long talk, and a long look to determine what it actually is, but don't worry, what are there, 74 more games for rage haters to get their TEAM SUCKS in....etc.
[mod]

You profess to have MUCH more hockey experience then anyone else here which I find just fascinating!!!! Please do share you credentials, they must be amazing and I know I can’t wait to hear all about them and give credit where credit must be due....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: johnjm22

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
[mod]

You profess to have MUCH more hockey experience then anyone else here which I find just fascinating!!!! Please do share you credentials, they must be amazing and I know I can’t wait to hear all about them and give credit where credit must be due....

What exactly do you want to know, 35 years playing, 25 years coaching, 30 years officiating, all from CA to PA, to Toronto, and places in between.....everything from single A to triple A to juniors, and single A pro (think the old WCHL days, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings should hire GoldenBearHockey as head coach. He seems to have it all figured out and knows what is best for this team, which is to tread water for the foreseeable future.

They’re on the right path to nowhere.

Naw, doesn't pay well enough compared to what I am doing now, plus, I'd have the downside of still having to listen to you guys...

And what exactly do you expect them to do now, this isnt NHL 2018, where you can trade whoever you want, whenever you want, there has to be a 2nd WILLING team involved as well, and again, no one knows if it's staff or roster, could be a combination of both, do you really want them to get rid of Amadio and have him blossom into a 2nd line player because you weren't patient enough to find out if it was him or staff?

Yea, your right, burn it all to the ground right now, this instance lol,

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
What exactly do you want to know, 35 years playing, 25 years coaching, 30 years officiating, all from CA to PA, to Toronto, and places in between.....everything from single A to triple A to juniors, and single A pro (think the old WCHL days, etc)
So you coached kids, probably the Golden Bears out of Burbank? A rival team back in the day, ok. Rode a bus cuz you just didn’t really cut it for the big leagues, ok again. I’ve met plenty of those guys and none as cocky as you. Officiating. Wow!!! Yep I’m sorry I am just not all that impressed.
Again slow your roll here.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So you coached kids, probably the Golden Bears out of Burbank? A rival team back in the day, ok. Rode a bus cuz you just didn’t really cut it for the big leagues, ok again. I’ve met plenty of those guys and none as cocky as you. Officiating. Wow!!! Yep I’m sorry I am just not all that impressed.
Again slow your roll here.

Lol why do you think I should impress you? That's weird.

I could care less what you think, you asked, I answered. If you didn't really care, don't ask then

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Naw, doesn't pay well enough compared to what I am doing now, plus, I'd have the downside of still having to listen to you guys...

And what exactly do you expect them to do now, this isnt NHL 2018, where you can trade whoever you want, whenever you want, there has to be a 2nd WILLING team involved as well, and again, no one knows if it's staff or roster, could be a combination of both, do you really want them to get rid of Amadio and have him blossom into a 2nd line player because you weren't patient enough to find out if it was him or staff?

Yea, your right, burn it all to the ground right now, this instance lol,

Dude, seriously if listening to us is a downside, why in the hell are you still posting here?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
1) Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
Same reason you do just on the other end of the spectrum
What spectrum is that? The piss us off spectrum? You add nothing. You are pompous. You really should take Ziggy’s advice and head over to letsgokings.com you will fit right in. You will be happy and so will we. I can go back to reading and not getting worked up over the new asshole on the boards.
Go Dodgers! Boy it’s warm tonight, even at the beach.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad