GDT: GM 6: Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers - 6:00PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Car2jPk.png

Sven and Jake combined for 4 individual scoring chances.

The Jesus*

Horvat had a tough game, but that line needed more ice-time. Tough to get through it when you're only getting 10-12 minutes.

That's a nice ideal to have, but when push comes to shove Willie is being paid to win hockey games. That is in his best interest for the sake of his career as an NHL coach. If the line wasn't playing well, or Horvat was dragging it down, limiting their minutes is the right call. Even if it doesn't fit with "development"

Coming from a guy that wants WillieD put on the first flight out of town.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
As an oilers fan Cracknell impressed me tonight. I think the difference in this game was definitely our goaltending. In recent years with Scrivens and co in net that would have been a 4-1 game for you guys.

the difference was Daniel Sedin sand wedging the puck over an open net.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's pretty much all you can ask from them at this point (althought Dan shoulda scored on the empty net).

The Oilers D is mediocre - it's time to ask why no one else is stepping up. Horvat had a poor game but not many posters ripping into him.

That has been pointed out. Bo, like the Sedins/Tanev/etc, has earned breathing space by playing well last year. If he keeps struggling I think he will start getting more.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Also why tf does willie use the twins the whole 2 minutes of basically every pp and double shift them in 3v3 ot we have to start letting the kids evolve has our go to guys on the pp and critical situations. This team is way to veteran reliant.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Virtanen played 9:10, Baertschi 10:29, Horvat 14:04.

Prust played 12:46, Dorsett 12:38, Cracknell 12:17.

I'd rather see the 4th line guys play closer to 10 min, and the excess ice time go to the kids.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Who did Willie overplay? Much to my surprise, Prust has earned some leeway. He's played well pretty much every game he's been here, save one. Dorsett's been okay as well. We're going to lose some games, even to the Oilers. It's not a big deal.
Valid, but I mean, the 4th line is getting much more offensive zone starts and ice time than the 3rd line. The team needed goals and WD decided to play the 4th line much more than they needed to be played. As a team that's retooling on the fly, the young players need more icetime. Heck, the 3rd line was the line that scored! Yet WD roles the 4th line out for the last minute of play. It's annoying.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Game of missed chances. The dominance was there, just the ending was lame. I'm not worried.. except for McDavid. He is going to be responsible for a lot of Canucks losses in the future.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agreed on that. Virtanen looks lost out there, he's going back when Higgins returns.

what does this even mean? Is it a way of criticizing a player without having anything concrete to criticize? Did he try scoring on Miller because he mixed up the ends of the ice or something?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That's a nice ideal to have, but when push comes to shove Willie is being paid to win hockey games. That is in his best interest for the sake of his career as an NHL coach. If the line wasn't playing well, or Horvat was dragging it down, limiting their minutes is the right call. Even if it doesn't fit with "development"

Coming from a guy that wants WillieD put on the first flight out of town.

On a rebuilding team one would think that developing our youth would fall under his job description as well.

If you want to win hockey games I suspect you would want to play players who generate scoring chances. Virtanen and Baertschi did that. Our 4th line plumbers did not.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Virtanen played 9:10, Baertschi 10:29, Horvat 14:04.

Prust played 12:46, Dorsett 12:38, Cracknell 12:17.

I'd rather see the 4th line guys play closer to 10 min, and the excess ice time go to the kids.

it just isn't going to happen. These games are too close and the coach is going to favour what he believes are his safe options.

The Jesus*

On a rebuilding team one would think that developing our youth would fall under his job description as well.

If you want to win hockey games I suspect you would want to play players who generate scoring chances. Virtanen and Baertschi did that. Our 4th line plumbers did not.

He has to coach in a way that will make sense to prospective future employers. Winning games with a team many think would be bad also goes a long way in ensuring he has a long tenure as an NHL coach.

Self interest, dude. He's not a puppet for management. That's not how it works. I don't think he's a smart man, but he's not stupid.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
it just isn't going to happen. These games are too close and the coach is going to favour what he believes are his safe options.

In other words, the coach is going to favour his players who are good in scrums over young players who are generating scoring chances.

When can we fire this coach?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Valid, but I mean, the 4th line is getting much more offensive zone starts and ice time than the 3rd line. The team needed goals and WD decided to play the 4th line much more than they needed to be played. As a team that's retooling on the fly, the young players need more icetime. Heck, the 3rd line was the line that scored! Yet WD roles the 4th line out for the last minute of play. It's annoying.

While I agree, we also need to be consistent. If Willie's imposed a merit based system, then refusing to play the fourth much despite Prust, and especially Cracknell, playing exceptionally well by their respective standards, it unravels the whole message. We're only on game six. The kids have plenty of time to push for more ice time, which they will get if they continue to play like they have. This is the first game Baertschi looked to have some jump. So that's a positive sign Willie should reward.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Daniel Sedin... why do you try to roof the puck on an empty net? Dear god.

I was at the game. WD is a terrible coach. Prust and Dorsett getting way too much ice time. This was a game the Canucks controlled but couldn't get through the Oilers juggernaut defense...

Glad I didn't pay for these tickets.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
JB wants to go to the playoffs and that means WD needs to make the playoffs and that means a coach is going to play it safe, go with veterans until the prospects prove beyond doubt they are the better options. I'm sure if the team was rebuilding we would see more prospect icetime because the mistakes wouldn't hurt as much.

The team also needs to resell Prust to recoup the draft pick, he needs icetime and points to do that.

I appreciate and understand this point of view, but I guess I feel a more balanced approach might be better for our boys - now, and in the future.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He has to coach in a way that will make sense to prospective future employers. Winning games with a team many think would be bad also goes a long way in ensuring he has a long tenure as an NHL coach.

Self interest, dude. He's not a puppet for management. That's not how it works. I don't think he's a smart man, but he's not stupid.

Long tenure? He is approaching retirement age man. He is like 60 this year? This is his last NHL gig.

The Jesus*

Long tenure? He is approaching retirement age man. He is like 60 this year? This is his last NHL gig.

He's very young for 58. Guy is in shape and looks like he's in his mid 40's. I seriously doubt he shares that sentiment.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

To intrude in on the conversation, how does the 4th line full of known grinders contribute to more goals? They're not as offensively gifted and the issue tonight was clearly finishing. Who's more likely to score? The only reasoning I can see through the lens of Willie is that the 4th line is more experienced... That's it. One could argue better defensively, but that line is consistently hemmed in its own zone and offers good scoring chances for the opposition on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad