GDT: GM 6: Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers - 6:00PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I appreciate and understand this point of view, but I guess I feel a more balanced approach might be better for our boys - now, and in the future.

Agree with you, as do most people around here, play the kids and live with the mistakes. Easier to say when it is not our jobs on the line though.

The Jesus*

To intrude in on the conversation, how does the 4th line full of known grinders contribute to more goals? They're not as offensively gifted and the issue tonight was clearly finishing. Who's more likely to score? The only reasoning I can see through the lens of Willie is that the 4th line is more experienced... That's it. One could argue better defensively, but that line is consistently hemmed in its own zone and offers good scoring chances for the opposition on a daily basis.

He was limiting minutes of lines to get the Sedins out there more. They played a lot during the last bit of the game and in OT.

Which line is he going to limit? How about the kid line that wasn't playing great? And giving time to the 4th line that was playing really well, and letting them take some tougher minutes to give the Sedins time to go out there and score?

You rely on your best players to score goals. And for better or worse that is the Sedins. They didn't do it, and we lost. That is generally how it will be this season. We need our best players to produce.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
JB wants to go to the playoffs and that means WD needs to make the playoffs and that means a coach is going to play it safe, go with veterans until the prospects prove beyond doubt they are the better options. I'm sure if the team was rebuilding we would see more prospect icetime because the mistakes wouldn't hurt as much.

The team also needs to resell Prust to recoup the draft pick, he needs icetime and points to do that.

This, things will change when management and ownership allow for growing pains and a mandate that does not include make playoffs at all costs or risk being fired. It needs to change at the top allowing for growing pains and letting vets take a back seat along with some years of no playoffs without risk being fired. As pointed out its easy for us on hf who dont answer to an employer to demand what we want.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I just don't get why they are afraid to play Virtanen. The guy is good. He has some explosive speed and can obviously score. Why even put that line together if you aren't going to play them?

So irritated with this loss. Horvat should be out there more. Vrbata is snake bit but once he scores 1 he will catch fire, been getting some mad chances.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
wow, just saw daniel's miss. holy shit. wtf. oh my god. i'm in denial. laugh or cry? laugh or cry?!?!?!?

(drove in from seattle and fell asleep during the second period)

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
So many McDavid jerseys at the game today. Made me feel SICK.

And if Prust/Dorsett are going to get all this ice time they need to start hitting. Virtanen had the only major hits this game and one turned into a Canucks break away.

WD is garbage. Bring back Torts.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Which line is he going to limit? How about the kid line that wasn't playing great? And giving time to the 4th line that was playing really well, and letting them take some tougher minutes to give the Sedins time to go out there and score?

Win tha game
Sven and Jake combined for 4 individual scoring chances.

:dunno:

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
While I agree, we also need to be consistent. If Willie's imposed a merit based system, then refusing to play the fourth much despite Prust, and especially Cracknell, playing exceptionally well by their respective standards, it unravels the whole message. We're only on game six. The kids have plenty of time to push for more ice time, which they will get if they continue to play like they have. This is the first game Baertschi looked to have some jump. So that's a positive sign Willie should reward.
Agreed that Prust and Cracknell had good game, but would you say that they had a good enough game to be out there in the last minute instead of the Sedin or Sutter line?
To follow up, Baertschi and Virtanen both had respectable games but were sitting on the bench most the game. By the time they get out on the ice again, they've already lost their rhythm/adrenaline/what-have-you.

What's also quite confusing is this double standard regarding giveaways. When Prust/Dorsett give the puck away, they're given much leeway. But when it's any of the players under the age of 24, their ass is stapled to the bench. I get the idea of a track record, but these actions in themselves causes the system of earning the ice to collapse on itself.

I'd like to reiterate that Prust and Cracknell were good, but not close enough for me to think the youngsters deserved to be benched as much as they were.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Wd doing his best to make sure people stop watching games. He's an embarrassment. Can't wait to see prust and dorsett next game. Put them on the pp as well

He is the biggest reason why I didn't get the NHL centre ice package this year. First time in 8 years.

The playoffs was just to big a sample size for me. Preseason, and early season doesn't help either.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Agree with you, as do most people around here, play the kids and live with the mistakes. Easier to say when it is not our jobs on the line though.

I hear ya. I good coach also needs to be able to see his players potential, and nurture that. We are seeing a bit of this already in Arizona, as well as Calgary last year. That also helps ones future job security.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
He was limiting minutes of lines to get the Sedins out there more. They played a lot during the last bit of the game and in OT.

You rely on your best players to score goals. And for better or worse that is the Sedins. They didn't do it, and we lost. That is generally how it will be this season. We need our best players to produce.
The kid line was good. They generated shots and chances in the limited icetime they were given. But it seems their line was gonna be benched regardless of their play. That's probably my bias towards WD, but he's built a reputation of trusting only veterans regardless of their ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad