GDT: Gm 54 Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins | 2/1/14 | 1P ET | NESN (HD) | 98.5 FM

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I feel bad for that team. They've had what, 4 different coaches over the past 4 seasons? That's terrible for developing young stars. I hope they find some consistency and stick to one system. But hey, at least they have Darnell Nurse..

Three since 2010-11. Tom Renney for two seasons, Ralph Krueger last year and now Dallas Eakins.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Edmonton just looks like they have no idea what to be or who they are- lot of talent but what a train wreck. If ever a team needed to sign a 28 year old Zdeno Chara as a FA this is the team.

Signing Chara is the signature move by this franchise to why they are right now one of the top handful of teams and a legit Cup contendah.

I think a case could be made that signing Julien (and sticking with him) was/is the signature move by this franchise as to why they are where they are. They had a bad team with Zee, but they've never had a bad season under CJ. Not when Bergeron went down. Not when TT had a tough season. He just delivers year in, year out.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I think a case could be made that signing Julien (and sticking with him) was/is the signature move by this franchise as to why they are where they are. They had a bad team with Zee, but they've never had a bad season under CJ. Not when Bergeron went down. Not when TT had a tough season. He just delivers year in, year out.

Amen.

The Bruins have bad nights, It happens.
Players don't show up, It happens.
Players don't execute, It happens.
But wen the system and or the game plan is execute they win 9 out of 10.

Thanks to Julien and Chia's team.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
here is what I would do- build from the back out; I'd load up on the bottom 6 with legit talent- not just one guy like a Paille but they need two or three gritty guys with talent.

They also have to many pretty players on the first two lines and it pains me to watch Hall closely today and see him sort of in that mold:eek:

Its like a Fantasy Team gone bad...the have one of the most recognizable forward groups around but all in all they suck

They cant but to bad they can not flip Yakky for a Seth Jones.

Ference was a nice thought and try but he is a complimentary player bottom 4-6 on defense they need a couple of good warriors back there

It seems like everyone on their top 2 lines wants to take the puck end to end, every shift.

Don't know how much they can/want to spend, but they have a lot of space.

Just a matter of spending it wisely and getting lucky with a guy or 2.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Habs fans? There are plenty of Bruins fans on this very board who think Subban walks on water.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights on this one. :D

He's talented and very productive at times.

Just the whole spinning in circles and hogging the puck thing while generating no real offensive chance...that doesn't do anything for me. It's no different to me than Sergei Samsonov was to the Bruins at his worst.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
here is what I would do- build from the back out; I'd load up on the bottom 6 with legit talent- not just one guy like a Paille but they need two or three gritty guys with talent.

They also have to many pretty players on the first two lines and it pains me to watch Hall closely today and see him sort of in that mold:eek:

Its like a Fantasy Team gone bad...the have one of the most recognizable forward groups around but all in all they suck

They cant but to bad they can not flip Yakky for a Seth Jones.

Ference was a nice thought and try but he is a complimentary player bottom 4-6 on defense they need a couple of good warriors back there

Yeah, I've been in a rebuild on my fantasy keeper, but I've traded Gagner, then Perron (following the trade), and now Eberle, trying to get my team off the ground.

I still own Hall, RNH, and Yak (the latter was in trade talks before our deadline).

The boys are killing me....

Doug.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
He's talented and very productive at times.

Just the whole spinning in circles and hogging the puck thing while generating no real offensive chance...that doesn't do anything for me. It's no different to me than Sergei Samsonov was to the Bruins at his worst.

I liked Jack's comment the other game - noting the relatively small amount of minutes he plays on the PK (ironically) and making a wry comment of how odd that is for any Norris Trophy winner. :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
PK should do what he does best, shoot the puck. Someone needs to feed him one timers. His antics today were ridiculous. Use your teammates.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
They have adjusted quite nicely, really be a shame to move Miller or Bartwoski, tough decisions to make in a month!

FWIW, Haggerty (yeah, I know) said today on the Sports Hub hockey show that the Bruins like their young defensemen and aren't looking to move any roster players. If they do get a veteran defenseman, they're aiming for a rental. But of course to say the market is thin is putting it mildly.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
FWIW, Haggerty (yeah, I know) said today on the Sports Hub hockey show that the Bruins like their young defensemen and aren't looking to move any roster players. If they do get a veteran defenseman, they're aiming for a rental. But of course to say the market is thin is putting it mildly.

#1 it's Haggerty

#2 even if they like them they still may move one of them if it's for the right piece.

I am still unconvinced this young D can carry us through the playoffs to a cup win but maybe the FO thinks different.

I remember doubts about winning the Cup when Chia traded for Kelly, Peverly, and Kaberle and everyone doubting the team could do it with those moves.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
#1 it's Haggerty

#2 even if they like them they still may move one of them if it's for the right piece.

I am still unconvinced this young D can carry us through the playoffs to a cup win but maybe the FO thinks different.

I remember doubts about winning the Cup when Chia traded for Kelly, Peverly, and Kaberle and everyone doubting the team could do it with those moves.

Taking on a Seidenberg-like player with a long-term contract would be a costly trade both in what they'd give up, and in terms of the salary cap, so there's a lot to consider.

Nobody knows exactly how the Bruins feel about the ability of the kids to carry them; I have a feeling that will be the subject of serious discussion among the f.o. and coaching staff.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Morrow is going nowhere. That said, we have very little cap room, so if we're bringing any big dollars in, dollars are going out.
I don't see anything big or drastic this year.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Morrow is going nowhere. That said, we have very little cap room, so if we're bringing any big dollars in, dollars are going out.
I don't see anything big or drastic this year.

I am pretty sure they do have caproom, Seidenberg is on the LTIR.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I liked Jack's comment the other game - noting the relatively small amount of minutes he plays on the PK (ironically) and making a wry comment of how odd that is for any Norris Trophy winner. :laugh:

PK is flashy. And that gets him a lot of attention. He's also got an attitude. That gets him attention. He's also (possibly ahead of Chris Stewart) the most successful current black ice hockey player in the league. That gets him attention.

I was listening to a radio show out in Colorado this past summer and they were talking about Heisman Trophy voting in college football. And how, it's actually an insane process because you have writers and people who apparently know the game voting on player's they've never really had the chance to watch, considering the shear size and complexion of college football. You just go with whomever you know a little about and whatever reputation that person has. Sure, the person who is voting may have a football mind, but they can't possibly be following and watching every Heisman candidate throughout the season.

Now, I am sure the demand on voters is not as crazy in a more compact 30 team professional sports league, but it's the same concept IMO. You go with who you know a little about and what their reputation is. Subban is a sexy pick because he is flashy and because his offensive statistics are high (which was never really the point of the Norris Trophy). Just as Erik Karlsson was the year before. But, you talk to the people that actually watch Erik Karlsson (i.e. Ottawa fans) and they concede that he is sub-par defensively. But, he's flashy and he's got high offensive statistics. There you have it.

I don't think many people put too much stock into trophies just because as leagues become more complex, it's impossible to actually assemble a group of people that's fully knowledgeable and objective. I understand why PK won the Norris, but yes, there are definitely better choices out there whom are more fitting of the intention of the award.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
PK is flashy. And that gets him a lot of attention. He's also got an attitude. That gets him attention. He's also (possibly ahead of Chris Stewart) the most successful current black ice hockey player in the league. That gets him attention.

I was listening to a radio show out in Colorado this past summer and they were talking about Heisman Trophy voting in college football. And how, it's actually an insane process because you have writers and people who apparently know the game voting on player's they've never really had the chance to watch, considering the shear size and complexion of college football. You just go with whomever you know a little about and whatever reputation that person has. Sure, the person who is voting may have a football mind, but they can't possibly be following and watching every Heisman candidate throughout the season.

Now, I am sure the demand on voters is not as crazy in a more compact 30 team professional sports league, but it's the same concept IMO. You go with who you know a little about and what their reputation is. Subban is a sexy pick because he is flashy and because his offensive statistics are high (which was never really the point of the Norris Trophy). Just as Erik Karlsson was the year before. But, you talk to the people that actually watch Erik Karlsson (i.e. Ottawa fans) and they concede that he is sub-par defensively. But, he's flashy and he's got high offensive statistics. There you have it.

I don't think many people put too much stock into trophies just because as leagues become more complex, it's impossible to actually assemble a group of people that's fully knowledgeable and objective. I understand why PK won the Norris, but yes, there are definitely better choices out there whom are more fitting of the intention of the award.

I think even looking at the number of major award winners on east coast teams versus west coast teams shows that the people voting for the awards don't pay much attention to the actual games

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00