Post-Game Talk: GM 50: Predators 2 @ Canucks 1

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
That was post and in to the far side though. Not sure the Neal shot was that quality.

A left hand shot on his off wing shouldn't beat a goalie glove side unless it's a perfect shot. Those goals are pretty memorable too:

Oh well hopefully this gives Willie reassure that Marky should be getting more starts if the Nucks are pushing for the post season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A left hand shot on his off wing shouldn't beat a goalie glove side unless it's a perfect shot. Those goals are pretty memorable too:

Oh well hopefully this gives Willie reassure that Marky should be getting more starts if the Nucks are pushing for the post season.

Willie will go over the cliff with Miller....really doesn't matter how he plays.. coach just too stubborn or resistant to change...but that's OK....Canucks won't win many games with Miller down the stretch and they need a better draft position anyway.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Miller probably should have had it, but team probably shouldn't be worse than my nephews team of 7 year olds at line changes.

Oh and why Slick Willie continues to deploy Vey in critical situations is beyond me. Yes, Vey has been better this year, but down 1 with the goalie pulled, idk Sven, Bo, Burrows even as the extra attacker. Maybe don't go with the guy who has scored as many goals ON the Canucks as FOR the Canucks this season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Miller probably should have had it, but team probably shouldn't be worse than my nephews team of 7 year olds at line changes.

Oh and why Slick Willie continues to deploy Vey in critical situations is beyond me. Yes, Vey has been better this year, but down 1 with the goalie pulled, idk Sven, Bo, Burrows even as the extra attacker. Maybe don't go with the guy who has scored as many goals ON the Canucks as FOR the Canucks this season.

How about the fact that they got a pp at the end of game and didn't bring Miller to the bench until there was only 22 seconds left?...or that the fact that 'extra attacker' was Steve Bartkowski, who'd never be mistaken for Bobby Orr....seriously, I wouldn't want this guy coaching my team of seven year olds.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Yea its basically pointless to have any hopes.

Desjardins is not capable. If not making the roster worse than it could be

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
James Neal is one of the better shooters in the game. You let him walk in alone to the hashmarks and there is a good chance you're giving up a goal.

And as someone else mentioned, that camera angle gives you no clue as to whether Miller was off his angle or not.

Just a brutal, brutal change. WD must have been fuming.

This has the overhead camera footage as well.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Clearly off his angle in that shot as well. Bizarre.

timthumb.php

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
No i questioned what u were talking about what soever.

He could have come out maybe a little further but then neal would have deked wide.

Sorry miller is worth every loonie

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't know, even at 70 cents on the dollar, I feel we are still paying to much...

I remember when these threads would have a couple parts.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It really shouldn't be a question, Miller blew the angle on that one. Anyone who's played hockey probably knows that feeling when the goalie isn't set properly and some clear net to shoot at, and a sniper like Neal is going to bury that every time. The goalie knows it too for that matter!

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
It really shouldn't be a question, Miller blew the angle on that one. Anyone who's played hockey probably knows that feeling when the goalie isn't set properly and some clear net to shoot at, and a sniper like Neal is going to bury that every time. The goalie knows it too for that matter!

I play a very high level div 14 at 8 rinks and don't understand anything you just wrote. :sarcasm:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How about the fact that they got a pp at the end of game and didn't bring Miller to the bench until there was only 22 seconds left?...or that the fact that 'extra attacker' was Steve Bartkowski, who'd never be mistaken for Bobby Orr....seriously, I wouldn't want this guy coaching my team of seven year olds.

Don't worry, the games in hand we have played will soon catch up, and people will realize how far away from playoff spot we really are and he will be gone in the offseason. Just have to wait it out.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No i questioned what u were talking about what soever.

He could have come out maybe a little further but then neal would have deked wide.

Sorry miller is worth every loonie

Deked wide? Where? There was a guy chasing him down he had no time...and Miller is only worth every loonie if we are paying him a loonie:shakehead

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
81Yn4l2.jpg

based on ice level, point of release

Thanks for that,

It's interesting Miller gained his depth from (centered) just inside the top of the crease, rather than centered on the goalline. As soon as he gains depth, he is out of position, unlikely he has time to do a shuffle and still be set for the shot.

OTOH, if he starts properly* from the goalline, he may not gain sufficient depth. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hansen scored on a breakaway (similar in that the play developed very quickly) a couple years ago on Halak when the Canucks beat St Louis at home, I think it was the only goal of the game.

*I think Barrasso stops both.But I get a lot of flack for suggesting it. Would have to watch Quick more to see how he sets up.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Thanks for that,

It's interesting Miller gained his depth from (centered) just inside the top of the crease, rather than centered on the goalline. As soon as he gains depth, he is out of position, unlikely he has time to do a shuffle and still be set for the shot.

OTOH, if he starts properly* from the goalline, he may not gain sufficient depth. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hansen scored on a breakaway (similar in that the play developed very quickly) a couple years ago on Halak when the Canucks beat St Louis at home, I think it was the only goal of the game.

*I think Barrasso stops both.But I get a lot of flack for suggesting it. Would have to watch Quick more to see how he sets up.

Good post, but I don't know guys...

We are analyzing angles more than we are analyzing which Nucks took a vacation on poor line changes: Daniel and Edler.

This is not the first time they have not gave a poop doing this, this year.

Maybe we should question and analyze this further...

And this is coming from a prior (arguably, subpar) goalie. :)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for that,

We are analyzing angles more than we are analyzing which Nucks took a vacation on poor line changes: Daniel and Edler.

Both good posts here.

On the one hand, we've got an iffy camera angle and we're working down from that.

On the other hand, we've got a goaltender who appears to have charged out at a wrong angle...contingent on interpreting the angle of the above.

But more than anything...we've got a ****ing trainwreck of a line change and defensive play, which makes this one heck of a play to suddenly adjust too...much less stare down one of the better pure shooters in the league in James Neal. The guy scores on his shot...plain and simple.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I only brought it up because I thought it was funny, you don't see an NHL goalie miss his angle like that too often. It definitely wasn't Miller's fault though, like he could have played it better but it was a nice shot off of a good opportunity caused by a terrible play by the rest of the team.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I don't get it, are you saying he told them to do that?

Clearly not. However Willie's had more than enough time to fix the problem. This has been going on for 1.5 seasons since Willie got here. That's on him at this point.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Definitely. I think when assigning blame, Miller is at the bottom of the list.

Vrbata failed to send it deep.

Baertschi leaves the weak side and moves cross-ice to pressure the puck carrier, but the players coming off the bench are closer to that side - if he stays on his side, he can likely delay the play long enough for things to sort out.

Edler's partner (Tanev I think) blocks Bartkowski as he is getting on the ice. That alone is the difference in Barts getting to Neal in time to block the shot.

Barts could have dived to block the shot. I think diving checks have been coached out of the game (like poke checks by goalies, they require a lot of judgement and restraint), and I think that is a mistake.

I just focus on what a goalie could do because that is what I am doing these days with my kids' teams, so it's like a hobby.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
81Yn4l2.jpg

based on ice level, point of release

You made a mistake here. Your lines are coming from the center of Neal's body when they should be coming from where Neal is handling the puck. Seeing how Neal is left handed, the point of origin should be a little more to the left. At this level, small things like that can make a difference.

If you had the lines coming from the puck instead of Neal's body, you'd see it's not AS bad as you originally outlined, although from what my eyes see, he would still be considered off his angle.

Same difference, in the end.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I only brought it up because I thought it was funny, you don't see an NHL goalie miss his angle like that too often. It definitely wasn't Miller's fault though, like he could have played it better but it was a nice shot off of a good opportunity caused by a terrible play by the rest of the team.

With the sudden change from clearing the puck out to safety to a near breakaway/odd man rush he probably had a momentary mental lapse and didn't get himself set right.

Personally I think it just shows how tough an NHL goalies job is, 99.9% of the time he has that, but one little miscue and it's in the back of the net. Like going back to the Vancouver Olympics, on Crosby's golden goal I recall Miller saying something about it being a mental miscalculation on his part, he was moving thinking Crosby would skate a little further and wasn't properly set when the shot happened. This can happen to the best of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad