Post-Game Talk: GM 50: Predators 2 @ Canucks 1

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Willie is our tank commander!....he's such a pitiful coach that they'll always have a real chance for a high draft pick....lost the game on another laughable line-change...at this point in the season how does a team consistently fail to execute a basic line change?. they get guys caught out there consistently for two minutes shifts....team had two of their best games to end the road-trip, and he changes two of the four lines, including a guy to centre on the top line who hasn't played in 33 games....let's keep Willie!..he's our tank ace in the hole.

If it's the same guy every time, it's not a team thing. Desjardins has been shrugged off by this individual and his brother.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Bad line change but more importantly terrible start to the game and terrible third. it's those two things which are the real issue...a middling team will not win with a 30-35 minute effort. And they didn't.

I expect the tank. I never want it. I do want Willie fired.t

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Bad line change but more importantly terrible start to the game and terrible third. it's those two things which are the real issue...a middling team will not win with a 30-35 minute effort. And they didn't.

I expect the tank. I never want it. I do want Willie fired.t

i'm not a huge fan of Willie but like Harry Neale said when he was with the Canucks you cant make chicken soup with chicken s**t or something like that.
this team needs a serious overhaul and long term planning this we are trying to make the playoffs and rebuild at the same time doesn't work unless you have an elite pipeline which we are not even close to having.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seeing this game back at home after the little road swing...Just completely smacked me upside the head with a reminder of how terrible Rogers Arena ice is this year. It's a total joke. :shakehead I know it's never been the best, the humidity there is probably a constant challenge, but it used to be at least respectable...sometimes even good. This is pathetic...they need to get this thing sorted out.

Makes for some stupid ugly hockey as the puck bounces and ricochets wildly around the rink and everyone's double-clutching and fumbling it around both ways. People randomly falling all over the place creating, or taking away chances.

I'm not impressed. Don't know why we haven't heard more complaining about it tbh.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
i'm not a huge fan of Willie but like Harry Neale said when he was with the Canucks you cant make chicken soup with chicken s**t or something like that.
this team needs a serious overhaul and long term planning this we are trying to make the playoffs and rebuild at the same time doesn't work unless you have an elite pipeline which we are not even close to having.

Well part of the problem is the overhauling that has been done...

And I know it's not a good team, that said there is also clearly something wrong with coaching. They went down 1 later in the third and he puts out the Dorsett line for instance and that type of thing has been well documented as happening all year. There are multiple things wrong with this organization and coaching is one of them.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I'm hoping for a Top 5 pick, but we're no where near as bad as the truly terrible teams. I've also come to accept the fact that I will never, in my lifetime, see the Canucks draft 1st overall... without a trade being involved.

Anyway, seeing some positives with the young guys... an otherwise I'm just riding out this season. When we're good again, in 3-5 years, most of the guys we're crying about will just be nasty memories, like Enrico Ciccone. Remember Enrico Ciccone? Of course you don't.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
mathonwy;112858997 Scribbles [List=1 said:
[*]Hutton used and abused by Nashville tonight
[*]First game back for Sutter after being out since Nov 10 with injury. Net positive in first, net negative for second and third period (completely gassed out). It'll take Sutter at least 3-5 games to get back up to speed (hopefully). Let's hope to whatever god is out there that we don't have another Higgins rerun.
[*]Best game of the season for Sbisa... seriously..... no.. I'm serious guys
[*]Good pressure by BurrVeyEtem shift but no production. Line needs to step it up.
[*]Virtanen with a strong game. Prust might not play another game as a Canuck
[*]Great tilt between Dorsett and Bass
[*]In general a bit of a snoozer... the Nashville D had the Canucks number all night and very few quality scoring chances were generated.
[/list]

Ehh, I thought the Arizona or LA games earlier in the season were Sbisa's best games of the season. In the Arizona he got third star :amazed:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Willie was dealt a bad hand but he played that hand badly (eg., doesn't give me any reason to think things would be significantly different had the roster been that much better).

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Seeing this game back at home after the little road swing...Just completely smacked me upside the head with a reminder of how terrible Rogers Arena ice is this year. It's a total joke. :shakehead I know it's never been the best, the humidity there is probably a constant challenge, but it used to be at least respectable...sometimes even good. This is pathetic...they need to get this thing sorted out.

Makes for some stupid ugly hockey as the puck bounces and ricochets wildly around the rink and everyone's double-clutching and fumbling it around both ways. People randomly falling all over the place creating, or taking away chances.

I'm not impressed. Don't know why we haven't heard more complaining about it tbh.

Yeah I was saying the same thing last night. It looked horrible.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm hoping for a Top 5 pick, but we're no where near as bad as the truly terrible teams. I've also come to accept the fact that I will never, in my lifetime, see the Canucks draft 1st overall... without a trade being involved.

Anyway, seeing some positives with the young guys... an otherwise I'm just riding out this season. When we're good again, in 3-5 years, most of the guys we're crying about will just be nasty memories, like Enrico Ciccone. Remember Enrico Ciccone? Of course you don't.

People like to say they aren't as terrible as the truly terrible teams yet this team sits 24th in point percentage standings. They aren't far removed from the bottom 5 and after another 30 games who knows. It won't actually take that much to move into a top 5 drafting position. Two teams need to pass them. To make the playoffs the canucks have to jump 3 teams...if people believe that playoffs are a possibility surely one has to admit that a bottom 5 finish is also very much a possibility.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
screen-shot-2016-01-26-at-11-01-00-pm.png

What's going on with Miller's positioning here

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Willie was dealt a bad hand but he played that hand badly (eg., doesn't give me any reason to think things would be significantly different had the roster been that much better).

I agree with this, poor drafting and management is at the root of the problem and a lot of the current woes (ie keeping the core intact) can all be stemmed back to over evaluating the 11 SC run which was an aberration for this team IMO.

I don't like the fact that Virtanen once again played less than 10 MPG and McCann was a scratch.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
People like to say they aren't as terrible as the truly terrible teams yet this team sits 24th in point percentage standings. They aren't far removed from the bottom 5 and after another 30 games who knows. It won't actually take that much to move into a top 5 drafting position. Two teams need to pass them. To make the playoffs the canucks have to jump 3 teams...if people believe that playoffs are a possibility surely one has to admit that a bottom 5 finish is also very much a possibility.

It is and much to the chagrin of many posters here the Oilers losing RNH and not getting back McDavid until Feb2 almsot assures that the Oilers will be getting one of the big 3 this year and not the Canucks.

but like I have stated before the Canucks need Chychrun in the worst possible way IMO.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

Like you say, coaching has been poor. Better decisions and this team could had a couple of more wins. Not firm into the playoffs but seperated from the terrible teams.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
screen-shot-2016-01-26-at-11-01-00-pm.png

What's going on with Miller's positioning here

For all I know he might be off his angle but from this point of view you're not really going to have any idea if he is or not. He's facing the puck, not Neal himself. Based on where he is relative the blue, I would venture a guess that he's pretty damn close to being fine.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
For all I know he might be off his angle but from this point of view you're not really going to have any idea if he is or not. He's facing the puck, not Neal himself. Based on where he is relative the blue, I would venture a guess that he's pretty damn close to being fine.

I agree the camera angle is probably making it look worse than it is, but with how cleanly the puck beat him short side I'm guessing he's off.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That was post and in to the far side though. Not sure the Neal shot was that quality.

I agree....it's not like that shot was a laser beam just inside the post.....lots of room on the short-side....don't know what it is, the this team just doesn't seem to win in regulation any more with Miller in net...their only regulation wins are coming with Markstrom between the pipes.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
James Neal is one of the better shooters in the game. You let him walk in alone to the hashmarks and there is a good chance you're giving up a goal.

And as someone else mentioned, that camera angle gives you no clue as to whether Miller was off his angle or not.

Just a brutal, brutal change. WD must have been fuming.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
James Neal is one of the better shooters in the game. You let him walk in alone to the hashmarks and there is a good chance you're giving up a goal.

And as someone else mentioned, that camera angle gives you no clue as to whether Miller was off his angle or not.

Just a brutal, brutal change. WD must have been fuming.

How mad can he be at anyone but himself at this point?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If you draw a line from the puck through his feet you can get rid of a lot of the POV distortion. He seems quite a bit off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad