GDT: GM 5: Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues - 7:00PM PST - SNET VAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Prust is just keeping Higgins' spot warm. He's the glue that ties the whole lineup together. Especially the second PP unit.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Shattenkirk out of the lineup tonight after leaving the Flames game early. Blues broadcast doesn't even seem to know what the injury is just that it doesn't have to do with the summer surgery (abdominal).

Fabrri out with a concussion.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Shattenkirk out of the lineup tonight after leaving the Flames game early. Blues broadcast doesn't even seem to know what the injury is just that it doesn't have to do with the summer surgery (abdominal).

Shame, I really wanted to see Fabbri play. I heard he's been playing really well.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Except Vrbata who got lost in the Bonino Black Hole... RIP vrbsy

Bonino black hole. :laugh:

But honestly, has Vrbata ever actually looked consistently really good with the Canucks outside of his play with the Sedins?

I would like to see virtanen get a chance on line 2, but vrbata really is blocking that rw spot.

I would stick vrbata with the sedins but you keep hearing people say the team did not like that mix. Last season people were saying sedins didnt think it was a good fit, then vrbata made the comment they are tough to play with, now willie supposedly does not want to go back to it either.

They wont stick virtanen and mccann on the same line i dont think.

And the issue then becomes virtanen looked very uncomfortable playing his off wing at world jr where people are complaining prust is (LW). Several of us noted while watching world jr. how uncomfortable he looked playing the left side. And nobody likes him with the sedins.

Unless in calgary he played the left side more later on and looked better, but i cant say i seen those games.

Not sure i really agree with the issue you're suggesting in Virtanen playing LW at the WJCs; the issue there was more just in how he'd end up bounced around the lineup and roles constantly imo, multiple times within games sometimes. But whatever the case...playing his off wing is something he's done fine with in a number of instances (hence Team Canada staff even using him as the swing man in the first place really).

Though i do understand the coaching staff not wanting to overload him right now. He's got his work cut out for him, just in trying to get himself playing within a rigid NHL system to begin with...letting him get it sorted on just one wing to start with helps simplify things for him. Understandable. Just really unfortunate, as that'd be a prime spot for him otherwise.

I really think Vrbata ought to go back up with the Twins. But even still, that doesn't exactly fix the 2nd line Prust problem anyway. Until Higgy comes back, if they want to pull Baertschi out for a game, we don't have much extra flexibility on the LW, no matter which line Vrbata plays on the RW with. :dunno:

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB

Sweet, will Ty Rattie get a call up? Big time Rattie fan.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Bonino black hole. :laugh:

But honestly, has Vrbata ever actually looked consistently really good with the Canucks outside of his play with the Sedins?

Not sure i really agree with the issue you're suggesting in Virtanen playing LW at the WJCs; the issue there was more just in how he'd end up bounced around the lineup and roles constantly imo, multiple times within games sometimes. But whatever the case...playing his off wing is something he's done fine with in a number of instances (hence Team Canada staff even using him as the swing man in the first place really).

Though i do understand the coaching staff not wanting to overload him right now. He's got his work cut out for him, just in trying to get himself playing within a rigid NHL system to begin with...letting him get it sorted on just one wing to start with helps simplify things for him. Understandable. Just really unfortunate, as that'd be a prime spot for him otherwise.

I really think Vrbata ought to go back up with the Twins. But even still, that doesn't exactly fix the 2nd line Prust problem anyway. Until Higgy comes back, if they want to pull Baertschi out for a game, we don't have much extra flexibility on the LW, no matter which line Vrbata plays on the RW with. :dunno:

We both seen his issues we just disagree on the cause (although i do agree bouncing around also contributed), I for one felt he looked uncomfortable when he was put on the left side and looked out of position more frequently when put on the left side, particularly in the offensive zone when it came to being in position for scoring chances, he also criss crossed with his Right winger during breakouts and was caught on some offsides. Personally i wish for his benefit they would just suck it up and push vrbata up with the sedins and let him play his natural side with horvat.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I find it baffling that WD is so unwilling to take some calculated risks. The HVB line did put on a great show. Next logical step would be to give them a chance to play a regular season game or two near the beginning of the year and see what we get in return.

I mean...when else are we gonna do it? When the season's on the line or when the chance for playoff is in the toilet?

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
He had 17 points in 82 reg season games before this season.

So like every second Santo season but with less ice time?

I think the assertion was regarding a cheap deal, short term for a guy that will perform for the first 30 games then become totally f****** useless. You know, like Santorelli.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He had 17 points in 82 reg season games before this season.

And Santo scored 4 points in 24 games for the panthers and 10 games for the jets in the 2012-13 season before he joined the Canucks so what's your point?

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
And Santo scored 4 points in 24 games for the panthers and 10 games for the jets in the 2012-13 season before he joined the Canucks so what's your point?

Don't rile the Santo fans. He's awesome and just shut up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We both seen his issues we just disagree on the cause (although i do agree bouncing around also contributed), I for one felt he looked uncomfortable when he was put on the left side and looked out of position more frequently when put on the left side, particularly in the offensive zone when it came to being in position for scoring chances, he also criss crossed with his Right winger during breakouts and was caught on some offsides. Personally i wish for his benefit they would just suck it up and push vrbata up with the sedins and let him play his natural side with horvat.

I mean, offensive zone positioning isn't really much of a LW/RW thing. That's more just, a Virtanen issue...maybe seemed more apparent when playing with more "skilled" players up the lineup on his off-wing, but LW/RW doesn't really dictate offensive zone position. It matters far more defensively and in transition (which is presumably why the staff wouldn't want to move Virtanen to his off wing for his 2nd ever NHL game).

Personally, i still think there's a good chance LW is the better fit for Virtanen's game long-term anyway. But for the time being, it does make sense to keep him confined to just his strong side wing...let him learn and settle in to one position before dumping any more on him. It's too bad though, with that 2LW spot crying out for..."someone who isn't Prust". :laugh:

At some point, i really do hope they revisit that Bae-Bo-Virtanen "kid line" trio. But this isn't the game for that. Especially considering the whole issue of 2nd line Prust is basically created by the desire to sit Baertschi and let him think about a few of his fly-by plays from the last game or two.

I haven't really liked Vrbata with Bo at all...it just doesn't seem to jive. And Vrbata with Sutter is a poor fit, Vrbata with McCann puts a lot of pressure on whoever plays LW to carry a lot of the load physically and forechecking-wise. Vrbata with the Sedins ultimately seems like where this is (or at least should be) headed imo. But for now, until Higgins comes back, there's kind of a lack of options on the LW if/when Baertschi earns himself a game off. And i really wouldn't want to see Bo saddled with Prust and Sutter (who looks uncomfortable on the wing) as his wingers for tomorrow night. :(

Hopefully, at some point though, the staff open up to the idea of Virtanen playing either wing. Would give everyone a chance to see where he ultimately fits best...and would open up a lot of opportunities to move up the lineup early in his career if he shows that flexibility.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If Cracknell gets around ~20-25 points this season It'll be a fantastic cost-efficient signing.

I wish Benning would target these kinds of players more often not overpriced 4th liners like Dorsett and Prust.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Are you scared that Canuck management may actually not realize this truth?

Because I am. I get quite anxious when I think that Benning and co may legitimately think that the sole reason that Calgary beat us was because they were bigger and badder than us

I think this because why else would someone blow up a 2014-15 5th ranked 101 point, Western Conference team that absolutely killed it in the regular season while being able to roll 4 lines (for the first time ever in franchise history).
:(

edit.

And not to mention doing so in the SECOND year of your first reign as a General Manager.

Wow... being a training wheel team for 3 hockey executives really effing blows.

If I recall, we lost because we were rattled from the "crowd noise". Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard from a GM.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
He was done before that. I like Santo but the legend is so hilariously overblown. It's why nobody else wastes a second on him for more than a season. Nashville learned the hard way at the deadline.

I do not think Cracknell will put up similar numbers, but he could be another half season wonder that fills a void. Aka Santorelli.

I dunno about you but "done" is a funny way to describe a run of 2 points in 9 games or whatever it was... considering the 40-game stretch before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad