GDT: GM 5: Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues - 7:00PM PST - SNET VAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Looks like WD has some good lines in practice, Sven is sitting alongside weber.

I think WD get's WAY to little credit for how good of a coach he is.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
I think for the most part people were happy with Willie during the regular season last year. He played four lines and six d, spreading the ice-time around.

His team seemed to battle pretty hard every night.

His negatives were being slow to change things, like line combos and the second PP unit. And he was out-coached in the playoffs.

I guess the thing to remember is that it was his first NHL season, if he can learn from some of his mistakes I believe he can be a very good coach.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Blues are a big physical team maybe it's the right call to sit Baer. He sure looks like a guy that wants nothing to do with any kind of contact.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I love that third line. Burr, McCann and Hansen could be a great shut down line and contribute offensively. All three guys work hard and McCann has an elite shot. Very excited to see them play on Friday.

The big question: Does the Crack man continue his torrid pace and tie his career high in goals.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hopefully a healthy scratch gets Baertschi a little more hungry.

It's hard to give him too much credit when he costed us a playoffs series last year.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
@HockeyAbbs: Desjardins: "it's not the try league, it's the get it done league" re: young players having to show consistency to earn more mins in game

Thanks josh Donaldson

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Agreed. The team tries hard and the special teams are good. I also like the team's system play. There isn't much else to it.
---
The loss to Calgary being put at WD's feet isn't right, either. We outplayed them for the most part but lost the battle in net. Coaches don't win series with sub .900 save percentages.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Like that both Virtanen and McCann are in. Not a big fan of Prust on the second line, but his play has actually been strong (excluding his scrapping). In a merit based system, his promotion makes sense.

That's a four line attack that will be fun to watch. And hopefully Baertschi gets the message that playing like you're afraid of getting hit is a one-way ticket out of the show. He bailed on several attempts to get the puck out of his own end because he was going to get hit. He needs to smarten up.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Look at the alternative in Pittsburg. He was choice #2.

WD gets an effort out of this group yearly

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I love that third line. Burr, McCann and Hansen could be a great shut down line and contribute offensively. All three guys work hard and McCann has an elite shot. Very excited to see them play on Friday.

The big question: Does the Crack man continue his torrid pace and tie his career high in goals.

It's the only line they've tried McCann on so far, and I can see why. Lining up between Burrows and Hansen is as insulated as it gets on this roster. Also probably one of the reasons why Prust is up there with Horvat. Horvat doesn't need the babysitting anymore, even if the line would be more effective with a Burrows or a Hansen on it.

Last edited:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
when did we last lose to the blues? 2012?

which gambler's fallacy wins? that we're obviously going to keep on winning? or that we're due for a loss?

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Like that both Virtanen and McCann are in. Not a big fan of Prust on the second line, but his play has actually been strong (excluding his scrapping). In a merit based system, his promotion makes sense.

That's a four line attack that will be fun to watch. And hopefully Baertschi gets the message that playing like you're afraid of getting hit is a one-way ticket out of the show. He bailed on several attempts to get the puck out of his own end because he was going to get hit. He needs to smarten up.

I doubt Prust on the 2nd line sticks for the whole game. I bet we see Burrows with Bo and Vrbata by the end of the game.

It wouldn't be a bad idea trying Baertchi with Mccann and Hansen IMO. I think Bae can learn a thing or two from the way Hansen plays.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Willies best attribute is coaxing maximum effort out of everyone, the difference between how the players responded under him compared to Torts was night and day

But the way he runs his bench and rewards guys like Prust second line minutes is junior stuff. I mean its nice Prust has 3 assists, it doesn't make him a top 6 player
Sedin/Sedin/Sutter
Prust/Horvat/Vrbata
Burrows/McCann/Hansen
Dorsett/Cracknell/Virtanen

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think for the most part people were happy with Willie during the regular season last year. He played four lines and six d, spreading the ice-time around.

His team seemed to battle pretty hard every night.

His negatives were being slow to change things, like line combos and the second PP unit. And he was out-coached in the playoffs.

I guess the thing to remember is that it was his first NHL season, if he can learn from some of his mistakes I believe he can be a very good coach.

This would be name of a documentary for the last few coaches here. I suppose he can't really be faulted, but it seems like this has been a common complain with several of our coaches. Everyone has favourites, but failing to see weakness where others can clearly see weaknesses is a huge detriment.

Baertschi sitting is promising, hopefully for just a game, but Prust still playing in our top six is....troubling.

Canucks next two opponets play 3 games in 4 nights. Hope we can capitalize on that.

5-0-1 at the end of this would make me feel warm and fuzzy. All I'm really hoping for is an entertaining set of games that don't have me going "WTF?" periodically due to coaching mistakes, bad penalties or crappy play.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
It's the only line they've tried McCann on so far, and I can see why. Lining up between Burrows and Hansen is as insulated as it gets on this roster. Also probably one the reason why Prust is up there with Horvat. Horvat doesn't need the babysitting anymore, even if the line would be more effective with a Burrows or a Hansen on it.

Yeah. If you genuinely want to play all 4 lines, that's the way to do it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm fine with Prust on the second line to start the game, even though I doubt it lasts long. He's shown some good offensive play early on. He also provides a bit of muscle to that second line by replacing Sven and that won't hurt against a big Blues team.
In any event, the lines could easily be changed as we go along and Burrows move up to the second.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Blues look pretty good so far. They are bigger with Parayko on the backend and Tarasenko is probably the NHL's most dangerous player after Ovechkin. Will be a tough game for the Canucks.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Miller playing against his old team for the second time, he was excellent in his first against them. Don't like Prust on the second line and not sure this team is built to play on home ice. Hoping for a win, may not get to watch this due to moving.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I want to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Horvat-Virtanen
McCann-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad