GDT: GM 5: Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues - 7:00PM PST - SNET VAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Blues look pretty good so far. They are bigger with Parayko on the backend and Tarasenko is probably the NHL's most dangerous player after Ovechkin. Will be a tough game for the Canucks.

Yeah I remember reading in Friedmans 30 thoughts they wanted to switch to a more aggressive/attacking style of game this year instead of their usual safer one which is why guys like Parayko made the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Like that both Virtanen and McCann are in. Not a big fan of Prust on the second line, but his play has actually been strong (excluding his scrapping). In a merit based system, his promotion makes sense.

That's a four line attack that will be fun to watch. And hopefully Baertschi gets the message that playing like you're afraid of getting hit is a one-way ticket out of the show. He bailed on several attempts to get the puck out of his own end because he was going to get hit. He needs to smarten up.

Benning has boxed himself in with Baertschi....in a perfect world, if McCann and Virtanen outplay him, then Baertschi is the one who should sit or be shipped out...but of course he'd be subject to waivers and the 'Nucks have already lost one player via that route...but you have to give WD credit....never thought I'd see him ice three true rookies in the same lineup against a heavy time like the Blues.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
That Parayko guy looks real good. I remember reading about him on the Blues forum during the summer, didn't realize how big he was. The Blues have a really solid defense from top to bottom, should be a good match.

As to WD, he is a great regular season coach but he had the worst playoff coaching performance I have ever seen in two decades of watching hockey. I've never seen a coach have such a negative effect on his team in the playoffs before that. Hopefully he learned his lesson. And yes Mike Johnston is awful and we dodged the bullet in that one.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That Parayko guy looks real good. I remember reading about him on the Blues forum during the summer, didn't realize how big he was. The Blues have a really solid defense from top to bottom, should be a good match.

As to WD, he is a great regular season coach but he had the worst playoff coaching performance I have ever seen in two decades of watching hockey. I've never seen a coach have such a negative effect on his team in the playoffs before that. Hopefully he learned his lesson. And yes Mike Johnston is awful and we dodged the bullet in that one.

Well to WD's credit he modified his approach for the last couple of games... so i don't think him learning from his mistakes should be a concern.
We are already seeing a different approach this season with his willingness to shuffle lines in-game. It was rare to see last yr.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hard to be a fan of Prust on the "2nd line". It's like WillieD is recognizing the problem that Bae-Bo-Vrbata line has had in the lack of a "heavy" player or a real effective "forecheck" from the wing...which is good. But unfortunately, while Prust might be kind of along the right idea in that physical presence aspect...it's not really a very good fit on balance of that component PLUS skill and speed to get in effectively with Bo.

Can't say i love the way they seem to have Virtanen pegged to the 4th line for his minutes either. Just doesn't seem like a role where he can really spread his wings and work on expanding his total game (namely, the offensive side of things).

Sitting Sven is fine with me, though we could really use his skill...if he's not going to be hard enough on pucks and do the unpleasant work, he can sit for a bit and have pillowfights with Weber in the pressbox.

Burrows-McCann-Hansen makes a ton of sense, and i can definitely understand keeping that trio together, even possibly at the expense of that other line. Playing Center as a young rookie is a big ask, and those two wingers are terrific for insulating him as much as possible - plus, fit in just fine offensively, giving McCann some solid help at both ends.

Just seems to me, the better solution would be effectively swapping Prust and Virtanen's spots. Keep that 4th line together and let them grind it out like they've been doing. And let Virtanen play forechecking missile and have some more leash to work with offensively...let Bo help carry him. Though perhaps the team are just really worried about potentially overloading Jake this early, by expecting him to play either wing within the system here. One thing at a time i guess. It's too bad though, if that's the case.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
You know how some teams' twitter accounts give away stuff to whoever guesses the first goal scorer? The Canucks twitter should give away a Prust jersey to whoever guesses the amount of time it'll take until Prust drops the gloves.

My vote is 4:38. What about you guys?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Looks like WD has some good lines in practice, Sven is sitting alongside weber.

I think WD get's WAY to little credit for how good of a coach he is.

yeah Prust on the 2nd line is an absolute genius move. :facepalm:

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen showed great chemistry only to never be seen again. another genius move.

he deserves a lot of credit. he;s basically a modern day Einstein.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Desjardins likes to play kids with vets to insulate them. Fans always focus on how a line stacks up in terms of offensive chemistry, while head coaches put the focus on what kind of reliability and defensive minutes they will be able to handle successfully.

Maybe they want Virtanen to have more than 10 career minutes of icetime before they put him into a top 6 role alongside a 20 year old centreman? If Virtanen shows well, or Prust struggles alongside Horvat, changes will be made. But as of right now, Prust has absolutely earned the promotion. He's managed the puck well, been reliable for the most part and surprisingly good at moving the puck to his linemates in shooting areas.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Agreed. The team tries hard and the special teams are good. I also like the team's system play. There isn't much else to it.
---
The loss to Calgary being put at WD's feet isn't right, either. We outplayed them for the most part but lost the battle in net. Coaches don't win series with sub .900 save percentages.

no - our good players outplayed them and our bad players got destroyed, and he kept playing the bad ones. he was individually the most responsible for that loss over anyone else

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
no - our good players outplayed them and our bad players got destroyed, and he kept playing the bad ones. he was individually the most responsible for that loss over anyone else

Except Vrbata who got lost in the Bonino Black Hole... RIP vrbsy

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Heh, I remember reading about him on the prospects board and I just had to snag him in my fantasy leagues this year. So far so good.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
Willies best attribute is coaxing maximum effort out of everyone, the difference between how the players responded under him compared to Torts was night and day

But the way he runs his bench and rewards guys like Prust second line minutes is junior stuff. I mean its nice Prust has 3 assists, it doesn't make him a top 6 player
Sedin/Sedin/Sutter
Prust/Horvat/Vrbata
Burrows/McCann/Hansen
Dorsett/Cracknell/Virtanen

I wouldn't say it's necessarily junior stuff. At the end of the day Willie isn't going to keep the line together if it doesn't work. He'll switch it off in the second period probably

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Look at the alternative in Pittsburg. He was choice #2.

WD gets an effort out of this group yearly

Johnson was Pittsburgh's #2 choice, they wanted Willie #1 but he came here. Was it clear though that Johnson was our #2 choice?

Unless it's a different guy as they're common names I still remember Mike Johnson as a player, nothing spectacular but he had a few decent offensive seasons.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So is Crackalack going to continue his hot play tomorrow?

The dude looked kind of like a 3rd line center last game.

Maybe we got another Santo like player here.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Just seems to me, the better solution would be effectively swapping Prust and Virtanen's spots. Keep that 4th line together and let them grind it out like they've been doing. And let Virtanen play forechecking missile and have some more leash to work with offensively...let Bo help carry him. Though perhaps the team are just really worried about potentially overloading Jake this early, by expecting him to play either wing within the system here. One thing at a time i guess. It's too bad though, if that's the case.

I would like to see virtanen get a chance on line 2, but vrbata really is blocking that rw spot.

I would stick vrbata with the sedins but you keep hearing people say the team did not like that mix. Last season people were saying sedins didnt think it was a good fit, then vrbata made the comment they are tough to play with, now willie supposedly does not want to go back to it either.

They wont stick virtanen and mccann on the same line i dont think.

And the issue then becomes virtanen looked very uncomfortable playing his off wing at world jr where people are complaining prust is (LW). Several of us noted while watching world jr. how uncomfortable he looked playing the left side. And nobody likes him with the sedins.

Unless in calgary he played the left side more later on and looked better, but i cant say i seen those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad