GDT: GM #5 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @11:00AM 10/13/18

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm just simply amazed that not one of you guys complaining about coaching, has tried to get hired on by an NHL team, I mean, you guys make absolutely STELLAR points, no, seriously, STELLAR points about what the team should be doing, and why it's NOT doing what it's doing, I expect some of you to have some sort of high-level coaching background....

Yea, today's game sucked, there were a few bright spots, Kempe looked really good, Amadio and JAD, looked good, they are gonna have a tough decision on his 9th game, I expect you will see Clifford come out and see Wagner come in on Monday.

There are some downsides as well, Campbell's rebound control was horrid today, Martinez and Thompson both had brain farts that resulted in goals, Muzzin couldn't handle a beach ball let alone the puck.

But every team will have a game like this, Ottawa played well and capitalized on their chances, it's how they beat Toronto....

But back to my first point, some of you guys really should put in an application, I am positive you could make a difference.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We can focus on individual players all we want. Fact is, the only times guys look good are when they're doing things independent of 'the system' (whatever it may be) and improvising like Kovalchuk's PP entry and Kempe saying "**** it" and charging the d-man and uncorking a shot, and when everyone sucks, yes, that's on the coaching. They're unprepared (yes, partially on players/leadership), mismatched, and when you have a coach that says one thing and does completely another, and doesn't hold Thompson accountable to the same standard he would Amadio, there are issues.

I'll say it again--go from top possession team by several percentage points to bottom of the barrel. Take a higher percentage of high danger shots, but bleed shots against. We were literally the best defensive team and best PK in the league last year, Kopitar had 92 points, Doughty was Norris caliber, we were nearly a 100 point team in a division with a Cup finalist without Jeff Carter. Now we are getting rung up for 50 shot attempts against for 3 nights in a row which hadn't happened in years, and against Detroit, Montreal, and now Ottawa. They're youthful and playing for pride, but on paper, it should not be a repetitive beatdown on our end of the ice. What's more likely--these guys all suddenly turning to mush in 6 months, or coaching issues? Come on.

But Stevens was the coach last year for all those positives. Unless that was all player mutiny, quickly after the mutiny to oust the previous coach. But again, won the Cup in June 2014, trash cans in like March of 2015, so these players quickly turning on coaches wouldn't be that shocking I guess. Maybe go 100% LeBron James and forget having a head coach at all? Get rid of Stevens and whatever they have as assistants, and let the core run the ship. There's no coach they're going to respond to.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm just simply amazed that not one of you guys complaining about coaching, has tried to get hired on by an NHL team, I mean, you guys make absolutely STELLAR points, no, seriously, STELLAR points about what the team should be doing, and why it's NOT doing what it's doing, I expect some of you to have some sort of high-level coaching background....

Yea, today's game sucked, there were a few bright spots, Kempe looked really good, Amadio and JAD, looked good, they are gonna have a tough decision on his 9th game, I expect you will see Clifford come out and see Wagner come in on Monday.

There are some downsides as well, Campbell's rebound control was horrid today, Martinez and Thompson both had brain farts that resulted in goals, Muzzin couldn't handle a beach ball let alone the puck.

But every team will have a game like this, Ottawa played well and capitalized on their chances, it's how they beat Toronto....

But back to my first point, some of you guys really should put in an application, I am positive you could make a difference.

Since you’re smarter than everyone in the room, maybe you can pinpoint all of the great coaching decisions Stevens has been making that is resulting in an upwards trajectory for the team in the win column, special teams success, even strength success, out chancing opponents, generating more scoring chances, emphasizing attacking the middle of the ice, etc.

It’s as if the Kings haven’t looked completely flat and inept offensively, which was a problem last season as well.

How’s the view when your head is buried so far in the sand?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Since you’re smarter than everyone in the room, maybe you can pinpoint all of the great coaching decisions Stevens has been making that is resulting in an upwards trajectory for the team in the win column, special teams success, even strength success, out changing opponents, generating more scoring chances, emphasizing attacking the middle of the ice, etc.

It’s as if the Kings haven’t looked completely flat and inept offensively, which was a problem last season as well.

He can't. The only thing he can do proficiently is talk out of his ass nonstop.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Since you’re smarter than everyone in the room, maybe you can pinpoint all of the great coaching decisions Stevens has been making.

For today's game, giving Amadio and JAD 15+ ice time was solid, they deserved it,

But let me ask you this, on the 4th goal, whose decision was it to step up to a player who had ZERO chance of being a danger, was that Stevens, or was that Martinez?

How about the first goal, whose decision was it to look for a check, instead of the puck, was that Stevens, or was that Thompson?

He's put guys in a position to succeed, and they are failing miserably, so you have to adapt.

Everyone is bitching about Kovalchuk on the PP, he doesn't have the same shot as Laine or Ovechkin FFS, those are the only two besides certain Dmen like Weber etc, who can be lights out on one timers, not only that, that they are so predictable, that the netminders are over there to stop them more than half the time,

As far as pinpointing great decisions, it's FIVE GAMES INTO THE SEASON, not sure if you can pinpoint ANY great decision on ANY team at this point...

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
would've been easier to go 1-9 this year and get Stevens fired
but now we're .500 after 5 games which is exactly where Blake is comfortable being

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He can't. The only thing he can do proficiently is talk out of his ass nonstop.

Says the guy who thinks the diamond PP is the only formation....

Who apparently missed the Kings doing exactly that, and still went on to bitch about it lol.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
would've been easier to go 1-9 this year and get Stevens fired
but now we're .500 after 5 games which is exactly where Blake is comfortable being

That wouldn't have gotten Stevens fired, would have had some players called up/sent down, but not a coach fired.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Sometimes numbers do matter. Obviously ice time and specialty situations come into play, but look at the numbers.

Goals against while player is on ice, all situations:

Doughty 0
Fantenberg 1 (only played one game, very poor analytics all around that game for #7)
LaDue 2
Forbort 3
Muzzin 4
Phanuef 4
Martinez 9

I spy a weak link in the chain.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
How good is Drew Doughty? Not one goal against this season, all situations, when he is on the ice, even after today's poor team effort.
He is great. I wonder what the Kings can get for him. Seriously, I don't think Doughty is up for any type of rebuild. It would not shock me if he asked for a trade somewhere down the line.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For today's game, giving Amadio and JAD 15+ ice time was solid, they deserved it,

But let me ask you this, on the 4th goal, whose decision was it to step up to a player who had ZERO chance of being a danger, was that Stevens, or was that Martinez?

How about the first goal, whose decision was it to look for a check, instead of the puck, was that Stevens, or was that Thompson?

He's put guys in a position to succeed, and they are failing miserably, so you have to adapt.

Everyone is *****ing about Kovalchuk on the PP, he doesn't have the same shot as Laine or Ovechkin FFS, those are the only two besides certain Dmen like Weber etc, who can be lights out on one timers, not only that, that they are so predictable, that the netminders are over there to stop them more than half the time,

As far as pinpointing great decisions, it's FIVE GAMES INTO THE SEASON, not sure if you can pinpoint ANY great decision on ANY team at this point...

I get the feeling we aren't watching the same thing.

He's put guys in positions to fail, and we have empirical evidence of decisions failing, and we are not adapting.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

He's put guys in positions to fail, and we have empirical evidence of decisions failing, and we are not adapting.

Ok, who has he put in a position to fail?

Keep in mind, same coach who last year resurrected Brown's career, Kopitar had a career year under...

So...who?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

We OBVIOUSLY aren't watching the same things, I am watching players make bad decisions, and you are putting the blame on the coach for that decision making, that makes zero sense,

That's like your boss deciding to take up an account who in the end doesn't pay their bills, and then blame you for the company going broke.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

The "why are you not a coach/GM, go get hired if you know so much" is always the laziest most ridiculous talking point by arrogant jackasses. Take that garbage to the main board where it belongs

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree now is the time to blow things up. It's not just the roster. It's the lack of cohesion, preparation, and development.

I know we've butted heads a lot over the years. But I genuinely felt this had to happen first. I know you feel it was a waste of time, but a lot of people, from management down to the players, had to have their eyes opened.

And I still firmly feel there had to be replaceable players aside from just trading due to value. I know that's a fundamental difference in our philosophy, but I am 100% on board with major shakeups now, fwiw.
You're a good man KP. I think the construction of the roster is fundamentally flawed.

It is going to be a much longer and more difficult task now to right the ship if they keep embracing the black hole, but I think it's all Luc Robitaille knows.

would've been easier to go 1-9 this year and get Stevens fired but now we're .500 after 5 games which is exactly where Blake is comfortable being.

Yes, it's classic black hole hockey. It's the BS we used to get from the Kings organization all the time before Lombardi's arrival. "All you have to do is make the playoffs, and anything can happen." Ah, those were the heady days of making it all the way to the 2nd round of the playoffs once every four or five years.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
We OBVIOUSLY aren't watching the same things, I am watching players make bad decisions, and you are putting the blame on the coach for that decision making, that makes zero sense,

That's like your boss deciding to take up an account who in the end doesn't pay their bills, and then blame you for the company going broke.

Gtfoh it’s the system when you watch the same bonehead plays over and over . Players do what they’re told and in this instance it’s outdated system and coaching .

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ok, who has he put in a position to fail?

Keep in mind, same coach who last year resurrected Brown's career, Kopitar had a career year under...

So...who?

I went over this last game and I'm not going to rehash it every game just because you simply want to plug your ears and take runs at everyone else.

I did see a lot of bad decisions today, I agree. And a lot of them were brought on by terrible coaching decisions.

To Stevens' credit he DID adjust some things...AFTER WE WENT DOWN 4-0.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Gtfoh it’s the system when you watch the same bonehead plays over and over . Players do what they’re told and in this instance it’s outdated system and coaching .

And yet, you have people in here saying THERE IS NO SYSTEM....so which is it?

I think Stevens is trying to install a system that either the players aren't fully grasping, or not fully buying into yet,

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Says the guy who thinks the diamond PP is the only formation....

Who apparently missed the Kings doing exactly that, and still went on to ***** about it lol.

They did diamond for one shift and nearly scored... What the f*** are you smoking? Lol. Diamond and below the red line is the way good pps work. Not three at the blue line which maybe your eyes were closed the last few games, hasn't generated a goal. Yet you think you're smart.. lol.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He is great. I wonder what the Kings can get for him. Seriously, I don't think Doughty is up for any type of rebuild. It would not shock me if he asked for a trade somewhere down the line.

It's $11m on the cap until 2027, and he currently has full control of where he goes.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I went over this last game and I'm not going to rehash it every game just because you simply want to plug your ears and take runs at everyone else.

I did see a lot of bad decisions today, I agree. And a lot of them were brought on by terrible coaching decisions.

To Stevens' credit he DID adjust some things...AFTER WE WENT DOWN 4-0.

LOL whateverman, you say he puts people in a position to fail, then you fail to name them,

With the exception of Muzzin/Martinez pairing, which we know you hate, WHO, Amadio? His ice time and gone up and up, kinda like I said it would, isn't it? Who else is in a position to fail?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad