Post-Game Talk: GM 48 | Canucks def. Oilers - 6-3 (Hoglander, Rathbone, Hamonic, Hawyrluk, Graovac, Boeser)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think Mac might get a game or two for that though. When a player is down, kneeing them ain’t going to go over well.
Problem is if this is considered kneeing (and yes his knee did touch his shoulder and there was motion) then this opens up a whole can of worms. There is absolutely no intent to harm in any way, there is absolutely no way the play was dangerous. As far as I can tell it was meant to annoy Nurse. And surprise, surprise it did. Stuff like this happens all the time. By this standard they will be suspending three players from every game.

As for the league, it has become a parody of itself.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another game where goaltending was the clear difference. Koskinen looked like a hockey goalie standing in front of a soccer goal all night.

Meantime Demko was blitzed with another 42 shots on goal. The usual couple of breakaways; McDavid on a penalty shot and numerous other shots from the slot and danger areas. And the Oilers didn't even play that well.

This team just bleeds scoring chances and shot attempts. The thing I notice is how easily the Oilers gained the blueline as the Canucks back in. I'm not sure if it's the forwards who are laggards at coming back; or if the Canucks blueline is so slow, they have to give ground. Probably a little of both.

The Canucks might win a couple of more the rest of the way if they can take advantage of a team that's lethargic and disinterested.

But the only time they can win is when Demko stands on his head.....just not sustainable in the long run.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Pretty sure that was Mike Richards, not Carter. You are right that the contract was terminated before he was formally charged. The contract was terminated on June 29, 2015, and Richards was formally charged on August 25, 2015.

At the time of termination, the Kings put out a statement:

"The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team's right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract. We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time."

Richards and the Kings were to go to arbitration, but the NHLPA filed a grievance, and arbitration was avoided. Otherwise, it was possible that Richards would have lost all of the remaining value of his contract. The Kings and the NHLPA settled on October 9, 2015 to both sides' satisfaction. Richards got an undisclosed portion of his remaining contract, and became a UFA, while the Kings had his recapture penalty on the books for 5 years, at $1.32 million per year.

Very good info. Seems precedent is set to be able to walk away from his contract regardless if he’s formally charged or not.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I know you're making a joke but as someone who's had cracked ribs, it's almost true. Doing anything and everything hurts. Breathing hurts. Twisting hurts. Moving at all hurts. So his head and hockey sense might have been saying do this, the pain or fear of pain might have been having him take the path of least resistance.

One time I was in the ocean on a boat. And the people I was with asked me to jump in. I didn’t because I don’t know how to swim.

another time I was offered peanut butter sandwiches. I didn’t take one because I’m allergic.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wow, really? How does a slight brush to the shoulder become a knee to the head….
Sometimes I dislike the interweb.

Right and if the jerseys had been reversed this board would have exploded. I remember when Ben Eager ATTEMPTED a hit on a Sedin and this place went nuts for months...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Another game where goaltending was the clear difference. Koskinen looked like a hockey goalie standing in front of a soccer goal all night.

Meantime Demko was blitzed with another 42 shots on goal. The usual couple of breakaways; McDavid on a penalty shot and numerous other shots from the slot and danger areas. And the Oilers didn't even play that well.

This team just bleeds scoring chances and shot attempts. The thing I notice is how easily the Oilers gained the blueline as the Canucks back in. I'm not sure if it's the forwards who are laggards at coming back; or if the Canucks blueline is so slow, they have to give ground. Probably a little of both.

The Canucks might win a couple of more the rest of the way if they can take advantage of a team that's lethargic and disinterested.

But the only time they can win is when Demko stands on his head.....just not sustainable in the long run.
The Canucks willingly giving up controlled zone entries has been a staple of their “system” for awhile now.

The excuse from Green apologists used to be that his dmen couldn’t skate well enough so he had to use that strategy, but when you see guys like Schmidt having to adjust from being ultra aggressive at his blueline in Vegas to learning to back up, it’s sad to watch.

It’s been proven that giving up controlled zone entries leads to giving up high quality scoring chances but I guess Green’s “system” requires Vezina caliber goaltending to win games.

As much as Green’s been dealt a shit hand getting stuck with Benning as his GM, he’s not exactly helping his own cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad