Pre-Game Talk: GM 46: Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Apr 22 - 7:00PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auger

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
A lot of negativity around here. I think quite a few of us realize that it does not matter who we play in the playoffs. We're good enough to beat any team in 7 games, but we're also playing badly enough to lose to any team in 7. The Hawks aren't a bad match up for us, and I would rather play them than a lot of other teams in the West (since our team actually tries for a bit).

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Gonna be the Canucks' best game of the year.

Edler rounding into form, he's been really good the past couple games. Should have the ability to roll three lines, that will give the wave after wave of attack we've needed since game one. Of course the defense looks a little weary after the top 4, but Schnieder has been good enough to mask that deficiency if the offense scores some goals.

All of this is a gut feeling. Not based on recent play, because if it were, blowout-blackhawks,

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I want to see us play the Hawks physical. When we do, we become dominant. We need to treat this like a playoff game. It is, essentially, a meaningless regular season game, however, it's our biggest rivals. If we don't come out with any type of spark, I'll be quite disappointed.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Feels like we've been waiting just about a year for this opportunity. Throw some scrubs in there and go headhunting, those punks have had it coming.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse!

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
No Bruins game so this will be the game of the day.

Really like Roy and Kassian lately as well as Schneider, will Luongo get any more starts before the playoffs?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Really like Roy and Kassian lately as well as Schneider, will Luongo get any more starts before the playoffs?

I think I'd start Luongo against Anaheim, and then Schneider against Edmonton just before the playoffs. No real idea if Luongo will get another start to finish off the season, but I think it has to be in the cards. Can't have him too rusty.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

doubt Lu gets any more starts, only 3 more games I am pretty sure and no back to backs.

and you aren't allowed to praise Kassian around here, unless he throws 10 hits and scores he is a failure :laugh:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I think Luongo is truly a #1 and many people around B.C give the guy too hard a time, it is kinda like the Thomas/Rask situation, but it is never a terrible situation when a team has 2, #1 goalies, because that time does not happen very often.

Kassian is still young and has to learn the game, which does not happen over night.

He has to play with skilled players, at the beginning of the year I thought he was unstoppable, but as stated earlier young guys take time.

Look at Hodgson when he had a healthy Vanek at the beginning of the year he was unstoppable, and then he was injured and Pominville got traded then he dropped off the face of the earth. It just shows you what happens when the skill on a line drops.

Ask Giroux when Hartnell broke his foot how his production dropped.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I want to see us play the Hawks physical. When we do, we become dominant. We need to treat this like a playoff game. It is, essentially, a meaningless regular season game, however, it's our biggest rivals. If we don't come out with any type of spark, I'll be quite disappointed.

This.

The Hawks are one of the softest teams in the league, and the Canucks will need to exploit this weakness if they meet in the playoffs.

You may as well take the opportunity tomorrow night to let guys like Hossa and Kane know they are going to be driven through the boards at every opportunity. This isn't the same Vancouver team that Chicago has seen in the past, guys like Kassian, Weise, and Pinizotto/Sestito need to set a physical tone and target the Hawks star players.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I think Luongo is truly a #1 and many people around B.C give the guy too hard a time, it is kinda like the Thomas/Rask situation, but it is never a terrible situation when a team has 2, #1 goalies, because that time does not happen very often.

Kassian is still young and has to learn the game, which does not happen over night.

He has to play with skilled players, at the beginning of the year I thought he was unstoppable, but as stated earlier young guys take time.

Look at Hodgson when he had a healthy Vanek at the beginning of the year he was unstoppable, and then he was injured and Pominville got traded then he dropped off the face of the earth. It just shows you what happens when the skill on a line drops.

Not to mention that he's a young power forward who is going to have his peaks and valleys, something I'm sure that most Bruins fans can understand.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Luongo is still a number one goalie, he's just not the best one in BC anymore. As much as he gets a hard time from people, he also gets a lot of love, especially with his twitter account now.

IMO, Kassian just needs more development time over anything. He does need to play with more skilled players, and he's been given that chance lately, but people need to tender their expectations a lot more. It's been shown time and time again that powerforwards of Kassian's type don't develop overnight. When they do develop though, you absolutely love them.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
this is the last game of my ice pak this year and the only game i've really been looking forward too.

The dallas game was a nice surprise.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This.

The Hawks are one of the softest teams in the league, and the Canucks will need to exploit this weakness if they meet in the playoffs.

You may as well take the opportunity tomorrow night to let guys like Hossa and Kane know they are going to be driven through the boards at every opportunity. This isn't the same Vancouver team that Chicago has seen in the past, guys like Kassian, Weise, and Pinizotto/Sestito need to set a physical tone and target the Hawks star players.

All you need to do is take a look at the series against Chicago in 2011. We played them tough, hit them often, and we went up 3-0 in the series, then we stopped playing that game. Once game 7 rolled around, we played the body, and often, and we were successful against the Hawks. I want us to do that again, except this time, we're tougher IMO and should use this to our advantage.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Tomorrows game will be great, Van just has to score as Chicago is a type of team that can outscore their problems.

I just can not see how Crawford and Emery are as good as their stats say, but with Toews, Kane, Hossa, and even Saad these guys can put the puck in the net, especially on the power play so as long as the Canucks do not give the Hawks PP chances they will be alright.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
All you need to do is take a look at the series against Chicago in 2011. We played them tough, hit them often, and we went up 3-0 in the series, then we stopped playing that game. Once game 7 rolled around, we played the body, and often, and we were successful against the Hawks. I want us to do that again, except this time, we're tougher IMO and should use this to our advantage.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a ton of Chicago games this year. However, when you look at their roster, who on the Hawks is going to keep other teams from taking liberties with their star players? Outside of Brandon Bollig and Carcillo, they really have no one.

It's like roles have reversed from previous post-seasons, now the Hawks are the ultra-skilled team lacking any toughness. Hopefully the Canucks remember how Chicago used to play them and return the favour. The Canucks really need to go after the Hawks top players and make them uncomfortable on the ice.

Unfortunately, I just don't think the Canucks will take that approach. It would seem to go against the entire culture of this team. When was the last time the Canucks physically dominated a team in a playoff series? It certainly hasn't happened with this coach / core group of players.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Tomorrows game will be great, Van just has to score as Chicago is a type of team that can outscore their problems.

I just can not see how Crawford and Emery are as good as their stats say, but with Toews, Kane, Hossa, and even Saad these guys can put the puck in the net, especially on the power play so as long as the Canucks do not give the Hawks PP chances they will be alright.

Our PP is awful and it has been all year. It's our 5 on 5 with us you gotta worry about.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Our PP is awful and it has been all year. It's our 5 on 5 with us you gotta worry about.

Wow, 16th on the power play, I did not know it was that low.

5 on 5 looks good.

Chicago
Pittsburgh
Boston
Anaheim
Rangers
Montreal
Vancouver

In order, no wonder these teams are contenders, NY because of Lundvquist.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canucks have superior depth at centre. Henrik/Kesler/Roy/Lapierre versus Toews/no proper 2C/Bolland/Handzus. Bolland's been shoehorned into the 2C position. Imagine if Malhotra was forced to play 2C for the Canucks in 2011...

Agree this is critical. Will Vigneault see it, too?

I think the Canuck's defense is pretty depleted and I do not believe this team is the avenging type, so I don't expect much. I think the team is kind of flat again, going into the post season. This has to be considered a coaching issue, no?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Unfortunately, I just don't think the Canucks will take that approach. It would seem to go against the entire culture of this team. When was the last time the Canucks physically dominated a team in a playoff series? It certainly hasn't happened with this coach / core group of players.

Sure it has happened with this core. We were a physical force in our 2011 Cup run, and we hit the Big Bad Bruins in total overall hits throughout each others respective playoff runs with 183 more hits than them. Like I said before, we physically dominated the Hawks in 2011, which is why we were so successful early on in the series against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad