GDT: Gm 41: Nashville Predators @ Boston Bruins | 1/2/14 | 7P ET | NESN | 98.5 FM

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I actually thought Bart had a solid game, made some good defensive plays (noted by Brick) muffed one great scoring chance but directly made up for it by literally saving a puck destined for the net.

Bartkowski should have got the second assist on the Spooner--->Boychuk first goal. They credited it to Soderberg, but Yeti was the one that passed it to Bartkowski first, then Bart to Spooner.

Anyhow i thought Bart did OK and his +2 plus/minus and one point (they'll probably change it) speaks to that. At least decent, not awful by any means.

Nashville's first goal at the end of the 2nd period was definitely a top 5 horrible-change-leading-directly-to-goal of the season to. Ward even openly admitted it. Clause basically left Svedberg and the 3rd line out to dry on that one.

Great win tho, and that's all that matters!! :handclap: Oh and Marchy is getting some mojo back... good sign.

Svedberg was great in his NHL debut, glad they got the win for him. And not just a win, a regulation-overtime win (ROW) ;)

The fact that Bartkowski played over 23 minutes says a lot about what the coaching staff thought about his game. I've been pleasantly surprised by Bart's recent play.

One thing about the saving of the goal: I think in the future it would be better to be aware of the opponent so he could tie him up or get the stick instead of having to make a head save.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The fact that Bartkowski played over 23 minutes says a lot about what the coaching staff thought about his game. I've been pleasantly surprised by Bart's recent play.

One thing about the saving of the goal: I think in the future it would be better to be aware of the opponent so he could tie him up or get the stick instead of having to make a head save.

Yep, all part of his and the other young D`s continuing learning process.

On Marchand`s goal, I loved the small but subtle turn Dougie made on the fore checking Pred, quick dish to Bergy etc....last year, might have seen something off the boards...growth indeed

Tough night for the D, for as solid as Sveberg played, you can see the youth in his game too, loads of big rebounds which of course puts a ton of pressure on the players in front of him

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yep, all part of his and the other young D`s continuing learning process.

On Marchand`s goal, I loved the small but subtle turn Dougie made on the fore checking Pred, quick dish to Bergy etc....last year, might have seen something off the boards...growth indeed

Tough night for the D, for as solid as Sveberg played, you can see the youth in his game too, loads of big rebounds which of course puts a ton of pressure on the players in front of him

Yep, just over-commit a hair and its tough to get back in position. A couple times he was slow to get across from post to post. Forces your dmen to make occasional head saves.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yep, just over-commit a hair and its tough to get back in position. A couple times he was slow to get across from post to post. Forces your dmen to make occasional head saves.

You can sure see the talent he has though

Beautiful position Chia is setting himself up with potentially with Rask/Subban/Sveberg and I "think" his name is Gothberg, who I hear is a long way away from being an NHL`er but....love this loading up on potential assets.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You can sure see the talent he has though

Beautiful position Chia is setting himself up with potentially with Rask/Subban/Sveberg and I "think" his name is Gothberg, who I hear is a long way away from being an NHL`er but....love this loading up on potential assets.

After Cheevers, the biggest on ice issue for the Sinden era Bruins was their goaltending. Clearly not a problem with this regime.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Can't believe the secondary assist is still credited to Soderberg on that first goal, as somebody previously pointed out it should pretty clearly go to Bartkowski. Figured they would change it by now.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Something I don`t recall seeing often.

Spooner loses his check on Stalberg allowing for the Preds to score

Then Stalberg missed his check on Spoons leading to Boychuk`s goal

Yet it's all Krug's fault on the Stallberg goal.

Spooner also bailed and went for a line change while his line mates battled in the corners in the 1st period.

So much praise for the kid but heaven forbid he's criticized.

He had a few bright spots but that line was awful last night. Couldn't get out of their zone to save their lives on most shifts. The D had to bail them out repeatedly as did Sveddy. They are soft as hell too.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Yet it's all Krug's fault on the Stallberg goal.

Spooner also bailed and went for a line change while his line mates battled in the corners in the 1st period.

So much praise for the kid but heaven forbid he's criticized.

He had a few bright spots but that line was awful last night. Couldn't get out of their zone to save their lives on most shifts. The D had to bail them out repeatedly as did Sveddy. They are soft as hell too.

I've yet to see you say anything positive about him

edit: actually, that's not correct. I remember quite well you pumping his tires and being very excited about him...up until "Spooner should replace Kelly" became a theme on here....hmmm. You using every possible opportunity to dump on spooner is just as mislead as the people saying we need to buy out kelly or trade him, imo

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I've yet to see you say anything positive about him

edit: actually, that's not correct. I remember quite well you pumping his tires and being very excited about him...up until "Spooner should replace Kelly" became a theme on here....hmmm. You using every possible opportunity to dump on spooner is just as mislead as the people saying we need to buy out kelly or trade him, imo

You want to take personal shots at me this isn't the place but I'm not surprised frankly.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Can't believe the secondary assist is still credited to Soderberg on that first goal, as somebody previously pointed out it should pretty clearly go to Bartkowski. Figured they would change it by now.

Yea i know... it was kind of a bang-bang play and Bart is 43, Soderberg 34 so maybe they mixed up the numbers. Especially considering Soderberg was in the play, he did the get "tertiary assist" but it remains that -- unless Yeti tipped it -- Bart took the pass from Soderberg and gave it directly to Spooner.

Edit: They changed it and credited the secondary assist to Bartkowski. Good for him, that's his 8th of the year. Bart also has a plus-minus of 8... not too bad for a rookie blueliner ;)

Yeti still gets a "moral assist" or undocumented assist IMO on that goal -- whether they changed the scoring or not -- for contributing to Boychuk having such a wide open space to glide into. It was Soderberg's hard drive to the net that drew two defenders toward him and opened up shooting space for JB55.

Good to see Yeti back and playing hard. That line will be beastly once Loui gets back and/or if Fraser comes out of nowhere to rip it up. Fraser is less than great but with that NHL shot and playing with Spooner you just never know when he might go on a scoring tick. Like i said he's got the shot, he almost got one last night on one of the B's best scoring chances (generated of course by Spooner, the kid is a stud) of the game.

When Loui gets back let Spooner center him and Yeti and that line will be the best "3rd line" in the league!!! :yo: :yo:

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yea i know... it was kind of a bang-bang play and Bart is 43, Soderberg 34 so maybe they mixed up the numbers. Especially considering Soderberg was in the play, he did the get "tertiary assist" but it is clear that -- unless Yeti tipped it -- Bart took the pass from Soderberg and gave it directly to Bergy.

They were all in the same corner... but after seeing the replay i thought it was fairly obvious Bart should have gotten that assist. Not that it matters very much, unless they're shopping him hard then Bart can use all the stats he can get. He is, after all, the guy often referred to as the most trade-able asset/chip with any reasonable value. Unless Spooner is on the trading block, but with how he is playing and changing the game i don't see how management can view Spooner as anything but [virtually] untouchable.

Yeti also gets a "moral assist" or undocumented assist on the goal -- whether they change the scoring or not -- for contributing to Boychuk having such a wide open space to glide into. It was Soderberg's hard drive to the net that drew two defenders toward him and opened up shooting space for JB55.

Still doesn't mean that assist is his :naughty: But good to see Yeti back and playing hard. That line will be beastly once Loui gets back and/or if Fraser comes out of nowhere to rip it up.

Fraser is less than great but with that NHL shot and playing with Spooner you just never know when he might go on a scoring tick. Like i said he's got the shot, he almost got one last night on one of the B's best scoring chances (generated of course by Spooner, the kid is a stud) of the game.

When Loui gets back let Spooner center him and Yeti and that line will be the best "3rd line" in the league!!! :yo: :yo:

Great points all around. Soderberg's net drive is an aspect of his game that is constantly overlooked. He is probably 2nd best on the team behind Iginla in terms of having that fearlessness of crashing the net knowing there will be contact. It is a tremendously important part of the game that not everybody is willing to do.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I lost power right at the end of the 1st, so i missed the rest of the game, but i have to ask.....

Did we seriously give up 35 shots to freakin' Nashville? Not exactly a positive stat there......

Sved played well though, all things considered.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I lost power right at the end of the 1st, so i missed the rest of the game, but i have to ask.....

Did we seriously give up 35 shots to freakin' Nashville? Not exactly a positive stat there......

Sved played well though, all things considered.

The second period was fugly.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bleh, how has this team not figured out you have to play all 3 periods?

Schedule gets real nasty in the next week or so too.....Hopefully they straighten themselves out.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Cam dances like me!

Terrible.
:laugh:

On a related note.. it's awesome having a GM and team President who are actually into the game and on their feet when big plays happen.

Too often in behind the scene stuff I see the execs sitting up there stoically and without emotion one way or another after a game. Just writing in their little notebook.

Love it when Cam jumps up and high fives Chia, lol

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
2nd + prospect or young player. i think he grew up with marchand.

No.

Macdonald is from Judique in Cape Breton.
Marchand is from Hammonds Plains in mainland Nova Scotia.
The 2 communities are roughly 300 miles away from each other.

Edit, ah...you may be thinking of Andrew Bodarchuk...he and Marchand did grow up together after Bodnarchuk's family moved to N.S. as a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad