Post-Game Talk: GM 41: Canucks def. Sens - 4-2 (Schmidt, Boeser, Pearson, Miller)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Holtby hasn’t been good in quite some time. Most goalies go through hot stretches at some point. He is going to have to perform for much longer than a couple of games in order to change my mind.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Holtby hasn’t been good in quite some time. Most goalies go through hot stretches at some point. He is going to have to perform for much longer than a couple of games in order to change my mind.
According to the experts here...based on Holtby's underwhelming stats from the two previous years, he was literally 'washed up'...not an NHL goalie.
If thats the case, a 'hot stretch' is completely out of the question.
He can still play.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Do people not realize that even when Myers plays "good" he still gives up an awful amount of high danger chances. He is still the worse d-man on this team by far and we should do everything to get rid of him.

31.34 xGF% last night, but keep sprouting how good he was because the idiot coach plays him minutes he can't handle (and he has 100's of long shifts) and because he throws a couple good hits and a few rushes that amount to nothing because he has no idea what to do with the puck.

And lol at celebrating Highmore and Pearson. Highmore looks like a faster Schaller and Pearson always seems to play better when he has rest which further points to that fact he's an old 3rd liner that we shouldn't have spent money on

Yeah, given the inability for him to properly utilize his height and lankiness he's definitely a liability (esp. when in the game before you can have the puck thrown at you get lost in your skates and you're slow to recover it despite being the defender in front of the net). His mobility in skating the puck up ice is good, but he looks like a weak link when he's reaching for a puck on the PK, retreating defensively to chase faster players or scrambling to get a clear.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myers is like a lot of Canuck d-men....when given time and space to move the puck, they can be reasonably effective. But when they're pressured and forced to play with pace, they become turnover machines in their own zone.

It's one of the reasons teams seem to endlessly cycle the puck in the Canuck zone.....even the Senators last night managed to get in a full line change with fresh players over the boards while still controlling the puck in the offensive zone.

Seems to me that particularly Myers and Edler get stuck out there for endless shifts, because they just can't get there. And when they do, they're too tired to move it out and get a line change.

I suppose if Myers was a $3m, No. 5 d-men on your roster you could live with it. But far too much money and term for what he brings. Maybe Seattle will bail us out.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
5.7 million salary tells me Holtby will be a five second consideration for Seattle (eg., then they randomly pick a far cheaper backup solution from any of the other NHL teams). A few good games isn’t going to change my opinion of him.

Don't understand the 5.7 figure. Holtby, as far as I know, is making 4.3 mill.

Things is there is so little to choose from. Are they taking someone like Roussel instead?

And I don't think Seattle will have any cap problems. They will not be getting any of the big name , big salary player anyhow unless they choose to eat some bad salary contracts in exchange for picking up a prospect or two.

Also Holtby will only have one year left and if he has ok season next year could be easily moved at the deadline like Rittick was. So Kraken can use him to get future drafts or prospects.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
According to the experts here...based on Holtby's underwhelming stats from the two previous years, he was literally 'washed up'...not an NHL goalie.
If thats the case, a 'hot stretch' is completely out of the question.
He can still play.
Obviously Ian Clarke has worked his magic again. Look at his record with goalies, and it’s a long list of making them better. It’s just too damned bad we are very likely (if not certainly) losing Clarke.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously Ian Clarke has worked his magic again. Look at his record with goalies, and it’s a long list of making them better. It’s just too damned bad we are very likely (if not certainly) losing Clarke.
Agreed....look what's happened to Markstrom in Calgary....he's been decent, but nowhere near as outstanding he was with the Canucks the last couple of seasons.

But I have no doubts Clark will walk away in the off-season.....it just seems to be the modus operandi for this franchise.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed....look what's happened to Markstrom in Calgary....he's been decent, but nowhere near as outstanding he was with the Canucks the last couple of seasons.

But I have no doubts Clark will walk away in the off-season.....it just seems to be the modus operandi for this franchise.
I’ve got the same feeling like with Bracket last year. Maybe Wisebrod convinced Aquilini he’s a goalies coach, along with all the other great things he can do? :huh:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Do people not realize that even when Myers plays "good" he still gives up an awful amount of high danger chances. He is still the worse dman on this team by far and we should do everything to get rid of him.

31.34 xGF% last night, but keep sprouting how good he was because the idiot coach plays him minutes he can't handle (and he has 100's of long shifts) and because he throws a couple good hits and a few rushes that amount to nothing because he has no idea what to do with the puck.

And lol at celebrating Highmore and Pearson. Highmore looks like a faster Schaller and Pearson always seems to play better when he has rest which further points to that fact he's an old 3rd liner that we shouldn't have spent money on
Myers has been very good for a while. He drew the 5 on 3 pp with nice move, he is our most physical dman and 2nd best at rushing puck. Been good on pk and pp in limited time. Not a perfect player but at this stage what does Edler do better? Myers is basically an Edler who can skate, stickhandle and shoot. So how is Myers the team's worst dman?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Don't understand the 5.7 figure. Holtby, as far as I know, is making 4.3 mill.

Things is there is so little to choose from. Are they taking someone like Roussel instead?

And I don't think Seattle will have any cap problems. They will not be getting any of the big name , big salary player anyhow unless they choose to eat some bad salary contracts in exchange for picking up a prospect or two.

Also Holtby will only have one year left and if he has ok season next year could be easily moved at the deadline like Rittick was. So Kraken can use him to get future drafts or prospects.

Holtby's cap hit is 4.3m but he's paid 5.7m real dollars next season.

I think Seattle takes a chance on Lind if he's left unprotected rather than one of our big contracts.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Do people not realize that even when Myers plays "good" he still gives up an awful amount of high danger chances. He is still the worse dman on this team by far and we should do everything to get rid of him.

He is not the worst defenceman on the team and it's not close. He is easily the worst per dollar paid (and that's obviously on Benning) but he is far better than Juolevi, Chatfield and Hamonic (though he has been better recently). He is better defensively than Hughes and better offensively than everyone on the team other than Hughes and Schmidt.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think Seattle takes a chance on Lind if he's left unprotected rather than one of our big contracts.
SEATTLe needs to get the Cap floor. They will select some over paid guys too, so they just might make Holtby one of those overpaid guys, especially because his contract expiring at the end of their first season would create cap flexibility.

Reactions: Get North

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
SEATTLe needs to get the Cap floor. They will select some over paid guys too, so they just might make Holtby one of those overpaid guys, especially because his contract expiring at the end of their first season would create cap flexibility.
Hitting the cap floor shouldn't be an issue with the financial muscle behind that franchise. Granted it doesn't mean they'll automatically be will to spend to the cap ceiling either.

Yeah I can only assume Benning structured it that way so Seattle wouldn't claim him.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hitting the cap floor shouldn't be an issue with the financial muscle behind that franchise. Granted it doesn't mean they'll automatically be will to spend to the cap ceiling either.

Yeah I can only assume Benning structured it that way so Seattle wouldn't claim him.
Yes, Seattle won’t have issues affording to pay salaries beyond the cap floor, but they still need to get enough contracts to get to the floor. Holtby at 4.3 helps with getting to the floor. Plus, for one year he would be a good guy to have for a young goalie, if they acquire one. They will select other guys too, who are overpaid (but are on expiring contracts) to get to th3 floor, and create cap flexibility for the following off season’s moves. And some of those 3xpiring contracts could be traded at the 2022 TDL for draft capital.
If I was them I wouldn’t want Holtby, but I can see why they migh5 select him, especially Considering the craperolla the Canucks will offer up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Or Myers.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Would we expose Myers? I think we protect him.
Demko
Myers
Schmidt
OJ
Bess
Bo
Petey
Miller
Pearson

I’m thinking Seattle gets Holtby, Jake, or an AHL guy.
I dont know what they're going to do...I would expose him... If they claim him, they instantly get a 2nd pairing D man..and like you said, they have to get to the cap floor (what is it..$60M..?)..

If they dont claim him, we still have a good serviceable (although overpaid) D man.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't see the team leaving Myers exposed, especially when they traded for Bowey to fill the requirements of the ED. Even if he was exposed I have a hard time seeing Seattle taking on that contract.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Yes, Seattle won’t have issues affording to pay salaries beyond the cap floor, but they still need to get enough contracts to get to the floor. Holtby at 4.3 helps with getting to the floor. Plus, for one year he would be a good guy to have for a young goalie, if they acquire one. They will select other guys too, who are overpaid (but are on expiring contracts) to get to th3 floor, and create cap flexibility for the following off season’s moves. And some of those 3xpiring contracts could be traded at the 2022 TDL for draft capital.
If I was them I wouldn’t want Holtby, but I can see why they migh5 select him, especially Considering the craperolla the Canucks will offer up.
I think they want to compete sooner rather than later (just my guess). Reason why I don’t think they’ll go with an unproven but promising up & coming goalie with a guy like Holtby backing him up. Sign a few marquee guys up front will get them well on the way to the cap floor as well as be competitive somewhat.

Seattle can always pick up a disposable (eg., cheap contract) off our unexposed roster.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think they want to compete sooner rather than later (just my guess). Reason why I don’t think they’ll go with an unproven but promising up & coming goalie with a guy like Holtby backing him up. Sign a few marquee guys up front will get them well on the way to the cap floor as well as be competitive somewhat.

Seattle can always pick up a disposable (eg., cheap contract) off our unexposed roster.
If not Holtby then it’s craperolla, although it will be cheap.
Imagine if Benning gives up our first this coming draft for Seattle to take the final year of Loui. How would that make us fans, who are suffering through this season, feel to see that first go south with Loui? It could happen. Seattle gets Loui’s 6 mil cap hit, but he’s paid a lot less than that in actual dollars. And the get a first. Plus Loui can fill a fourth line PK role. God, what a horrid idea!

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
If not Holtby then it’s craperolla, although it will be cheap.
Imagine if Benning gives up our first this coming draft for Seattle to take the final year of Loui. How would that make us fans, who are suffering through this season, feel to see that first go south with Loui? It could happen. Seattle gets Loui’s 6 mil cap hit, but he’s paid a lot less than that in actual dollars. And the get a first. Plus Loui can fill a fourth line PK role. God, what a horrid idea!
Vegas grabbed Sbisa off of us in their expansion draft. Granted he wasn’t exactly that cheap lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad