Post-Game Talk: GM 41: Canucks def. Sens - 4-2 (Schmidt, Boeser, Pearson, Miller)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Imagine trying to shit on Benning by making fun of his drafting. No GM has drafted more players that made it to the NHL than Benning in the last 7 years, with at least 5 more still to come as early as next season. Podz, Rathbone, Dipietro, Lind, Tram,plus possibly Jonah, Lockwood and Woo, should make it at some point as well.

The hot takes on Holtby, Pearson and Highmore seem to have quieted, those banner losers should fly a retraction banner.
LOL you still support Benning? The Gudbranson for top 35 pick and Mccann disaster wasnt enough? Or the Juolevi Virtanen picks? Or the Sutter contract? No movement 2016 TDL? Madden and a 2nd for 9 games? The Pearson resigning before the Seattle expansion? Beagle Ferland Roussell and Baertchi contracts? Prust for Kassian and a pick? Vey for a 2nd? No picks in top 90 last season?

Cmon pal weve got some good picks but theres so many bad decisions every year and little ability of learning and changing the old mistakes

O and this guy

cut.jpeg

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Imagine trying to shit on Benning by making fun of his drafting. No GM has drafted more players that made it to the NHL than Benning in the last 7 years, with at least 5 more still to come as early as next season. Podz, Rathbone, Dipietro, Lind, Tram,plus possibly Jonah, Lockwood and Woo, should make it at some point as well.

The hot takes on Holtby, Pearson and Highmore seem to have quieted, those banner losers should fly a retraction banner.

There is a difference between making the NHL and being good. Your metrics are equating Pete and Hughes with players like Brisebois.

Even presuming you are telling the truth, and I would be very interested if you actually did the homework to back up your claim that "Benning has drafted more NHLers than any other GM since 2014" - Benning is one of the longest tenured GM's, on one of the worst teams in the league over that period.

It follows that high picks and a team that was not competing for anything should have prospects playing, no?

Now if you do actually do the homework, see how many of these players that Benning drafted are on the Canucks.

Seriously. Please do so, and I will take this seriously. But until you provide a comparison, it's more outright bullshit.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Half the roster we have are like 4th guys and im glad our top players stepped up when needed; we wont be relevant for playoff race unless we win the rest of Sens series

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I just looked at our schedule. I'm sorry how are we going to beat these teams as much as we need to. Without Petey it's still pretty grim. Let's hope we sweep the next two for a fighting chance, but..
Well it's a long shot indeed but not impossible. However I did say 'chance" I'm not saying there're making it without a doubt.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
it's a tough schedule but if we can stay hot we have a chance. 8 points back on MTL with 5 games in hand at least means we control our own destiny. This was an important win to maintain momentum

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It feels nice winning even though we really should be losing for a better pick

Usually I'm with you, but I think that the Covid shutdowns and partial seasons are really going to mess with some young players' development. The drafts for the next couple of years are going to be complete crap shoots.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
it's a tough schedule but if we can stay hot we have a chance. 8 points back on MTL with 5 games in hand at least means we control our own destiny. This was an important win to maintain momentum
Habs don’t look that good either. No reason to think that 1 or 2 games over .500 might not be good enough to get that fourth spot.
I think it will more likely be the Flames that gets there though. Those final games against Calgary might be huge!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
5.7 million salary tells me Holtby will be a five second consideration for Seattle (eg., then they randomly pick a far cheaper backup solution from any of the other NHL teams). A few good games isn’t going to change my opinion of him.

Reactions: I am toxic

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
5.7 million salary tells me Holtby will be a five second consideration for Seattle (eg., then they randomly pick a far cheaper backup solution from any of the other NHL teams). A few good games isn’t going to change my opinion of him.

I don’t know. His cap hit is manageable if he continues this level of play, and the list of available goaltenders in the expansion draft isn’t likely to be very enticing (there’s no Marc-Andre Fleury candidate in this one).

But either way - whether he gets taken in the draft or if he stays here, it bodes well for us that he’s playing good hockey right now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don’t know. His cap hit is manageable if he continues this level of play, and the list of available goaltenders in the expansion draft isn’t likely to be very enticing (there’s no Marc-Andre Fleury candidate in this one).

But either way - whether he gets taken in the draft or if he stays here, it bodes well for us that he’s playing good hockey right now.
Sure if they felt he was a starting goalie. Those days are long gone imho.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Or theirs. Smart management, who don’t make choices based on “day by day” information.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
If nothing else, having a good backup going into next season is huge if BH can keep it up. Of course, without Ian Clark next year, its going to be a crapshoot. Still livid that is a possibility. That guy has been one of our more valuable pieces and he's just going to be let go.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Sorry my bad. I forgot this is HF, where if a puck changes directions even 50 feet away, the goalie is not expected to stop it.
No goalie has the reaction speed to initiate a save selection after the release.

Goalie's job - among so many other things including putting up with ignorant takes - is to read the blade and the release and then initiate the save selection upon release.

Sure, sometimes a goalie gets lucky and the deflection slows the puck enough to react, or the deflection still hits them. It's a probability/numbers game in that case, size and positioning make a big difference.

But keep at keeping at it Johnny, you know I love your takes.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

LOL get real dude. The Canucks win 3 0f 4 and now you wanna plan the parade.

3 games should changes absolutely nobody's opinion of Benning or his moves.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Do people not realize that even when Myers plays "good" he still gives up an awful amount of high danger chances. He is still the worse dman on this team by far and we should do everything to get rid of him.

31.34 xGF% last night, but keep sprouting how good he was because the idiot coach plays him minutes he can't handle (and he has 100's of long shifts) and because he throws a couple good hits and a few rushes that amount to nothing because he has no idea what to do with the puck.

And lol at celebrating Highmore and Pearson. Highmore looks like a faster Schaller and Pearson always seems to play better when he has rest which further points to that fact he's an old 3rd liner that we shouldn't have spent money on

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Zack MacEwen is not really an NHL player. He had a few mini 'hot' streaks with us but I don't see the consistency or potential.

Damn good fighter and tough cookie though. I'd still keep him in the AHL / as a call up

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Sure if they felt he was a starting goalie. Those days are long gone imho.
I think its pretty clear that Holtby has demonstrated that he has it' in him' to be a #1 goalie..After more practice, and consultation with Clark, it looks like its starting to pay off....Hopefully,he gets consistent...He obviously hasn't 'lost it', as were the cries here...("those days are long gone')....He's 5 months older than Jacob Markstrom.
I'm not surprised you're not going to change your opinion, because you've already 'doubled down' on he's 'no good'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad