Post-Game Talk: GM 40: Flames 1 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
when we had a second line that could skate, the sedin line was unstoppable. the ability to roll a methodical slow line, then a fast physical one that could kick your butt did so much for this team to break down oppositions' systems and defenses.

two slow lines... ugh.

gtfo bonining

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Missed the game I see a lot of over reaction on twitter/Facebook couldn't have been that bad in a 1-0 loss.

From the looks of it seems that Corrado had a good game playing 17:00, wouldn't mind it at all if he sticks in the lineup.with Bieksa, Stanton & Sbisa's inconsistentancy why no try Sanguinetti he's been waiting in line long enough? These guys have had more then enough time to clean it up.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Matthias Richardson Hansen
Higgins Horvat Dorsett

Not entirely sure about the bottom 6 configuration but I really want to see that second line in action.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Horvat Dorsett

Not entirely sure about the bottom 6 configuration but I really want to see that second line in action.

This i agree with to

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Horvat Dorsett

i'd go:

ssv
burrows bonino kassian
matthias richardson higgins
dorsett horvat hansen

but yeah, bascially the same idea. bonino needs to get away from higgins in the worst way, in the brief times kassian and burr have played together kassian has always looked his best for a variety of reasons that mostly have to do with burrows' hockey sense.

as for the bottom six, i'd be loathe to split up the horvat line, because they're doing everything a fourth line should do and slightly more.

the third line is going to keep grinding away and missing the net or hitting the logo with or without kassian, so why not higgins? beast on the boards, knows where to be in his own end, and it's not like there are goals to be scored from matthias and richardson's sticks that higgins is going to prevent. maybe playing with grindy guys will even get him going with a few greasy ones.

the question is, does vey deserve to slot back in and if so where?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Vey would be better than Burrows for Bonino and Kassian just remmeber the 2nd PP against Flr

MAtthias should sit

Horvat with Burrows and Higgins

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
This is not in any way true

Burrows doesn't need to perform another 3rd man Sedin role while Bonino and Kassian pass.

He needs to mentor Horvat because he plays the absolute identical game Horvat needs to play.

And Vey is better than our entire bottom 6 he needs top 6 minutes. another 7/8 lbs of muscle and he's going to make you eat your words

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Burrows doesn't need to perform another 3rd man Sedin role while Bonino and Kassian pass.

He needs to mentor Horvat because he plays the absolute identical game Horvat needs to play.

And Vey is better than our entire bottom 6 he needs top 6 minutes. another 7/8 lbs of muscle and he's going to make you eat your words

I agree on vey he is realy good and cant wait to see him get better and better

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would like to see Burrows, Horvat, and Hansen as a line. I think this a potential great shutdown line and it's a line that could be together next year as well.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I would like to see Burrows, Horvat, and Hansen as a line. I think this a potential great shutdown line and it's a line that could be together next year as well.

definitely our 3rd line of the future, unless benning gets the guys on no-trades to sign off on the house cleaning he wants.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hope Corrado gets an extended look. I feel it's really important to see what we have in him and gauge whether or not we can have him as a real option for a regular role next season.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hope Corrado gets an extended look. I feel it's really important to see what we have in him and gauge whether or not we can have him as a real option for a regular role next season.

Should be part of the youth infusion. We're giving Vey and Horvat a look up front, why not give Corrado an extended look too? Can't be worse than Sbisa and Weber.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Should be part of the youth infusion. We're giving Vey and Horvat a look up front, why not give Corrado an extended look too? Can't be worse than Sbisa and Weber.

The flu going through the dressing room should give an excuse to play Corrado for a while.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You see some good candidates in our system who give you the impression they'll ever be able to match the Sedins' production? Would love to see them.

Virtanen has the potential to be a first liner. I think highly enough of Shinkaruk that he could form 1/3rd of a top line one day. We don't have a future 1C in our lineup though, which is why I salivate at the thought of drafting someone like Mathew Barzal.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
You see some good candidates in our system who give you the impression they'll ever be able to match the Sedins' production? Would love to see them.

Definitely not their peak seasons, but Virtanen maybe able to match the point totals of the Sedins nowadays with a physical edge in 3-5 years, same with Shinkaruk, but without the physical side.

At the same time, were the Sedins ever supposed to be as good as they were? If memory serves PPG was their top end ceiling when they were drafted. They exceeded it obviously, and the only hope the canucks have is that a couple guys from the current crop can reach or exceed their ceilings.

On the topic of the game, good showing for Corrado who I thought did as well as he could with the fire drill that is Sbisa. Him and Bieksa are anchoring the defence and not in a good way. Would love to see these pairings once Hamhuis is back to ease him in and if him and Corrado show chemistry slowly up their minutes by simply taking them away from Stanto-Bieksa.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Corrado
Stanton-*Bieksa

*If it were up to me I would try Sanguinetti here and let Bieksa sit a game.

On the forward side IMO it's time to go back to the drawing board, some of these pairings that were working earlier in the year are just killing momentum now. Matthias is killing more plays then you can count but Dorsett has somehow been worse the past few. Since SSV seems to be Willie's goto line and probably won't be changing I'd like to see the following lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Vey
Higgins-Richardson-Kassian
Matthias-Horvat-Hansen

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Virtanen has the potential to be a first liner. I think highly enough of Shinkaruk that he could form 1/3rd of a top line one day. We don't have a future 1C in our lineup though, which is why I salivate at the thought of drafting someone like Mathew Barzal.

The thing is, i'd love to add someone like Barzal to the system as well, obviously.

But the reality is, if you draft Barzal and he turns into a ~70pt player like the Sedins are now, that's a good solid realistic result.

As in, the odds of a prospect blossoming into something better/more productive than the even the current "declining" version of the Sedins are not that great (unless we're talking about #1 Overall types). First liners are kinda hard to come by. Especially finding 2 of them at once.

The Sedins clearly aren't what they once were, but they're still pretty good players. I'm not in any huge hurry to see how ugly it gets when we no longer have them to lean on for offense.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The thing is, i'd love to add someone like Barzal to the system as well, obviously.

But the reality is, if you draft Barzal and he turns into a ~70pt player like the Sedins are now, that's a good solid realistic result.

As in, the odds of a prospect blossoming into something better/more productive than the even the current "declining" version of the Sedins are not that great (unless we're talking about #1 Overall types). First liners are kinda hard to come by. Especially finding 2 of them at once.

The Sedins clearly aren't what they once were, but they're still pretty good players. I'm not in any huge hurry to see how ugly it gets when we no longer have them to lean on for offense.

But then you have the likes of Horvat, McCann, and Jensen putting up more points than our current 2nd line is. Plus we'll have more cap space to add more quality depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad