Post-Game Talk: GM 40: Flames 1 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Here is a theory I've established. With the rumor of Lack in the trade works, could this be the reason he started tonight. To try and showcase him for a trade? I know there's a lot more then that but it's just some food for thought.

Jun 15, 2014
Here is a theory I've established. With the rumor of Lack in the trade works, could this be the reason he started tonight. To try and showcase him for a trade? I know there's a lot more then that but it's just some food for thought.

Couldn't hurt, but Miller was/is sick so, who knows?

I'd definitely trade Lack, as likeable as he is.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
If true, the team seems to have been contracting the flu for weeks. Or, they might be gassed. I guess it would look the same.:nod:

The team looks like they are fading away. Why bolster this line-up expensively at the deadline? Why not just sign guys in the offseason? The team is showing nothing to indicate any playoff viability.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I'd really doubt there's any sort of grand conspiracy to it. Given the way Miller sounded in his post-game after the last game, and what Lack said tonight...i wouldn't read much more of anything into it than...some players are sick right now.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Flu bug.

Was incredibly pissed last game, now I'm hanging on to the flu bug as an excuse. Please just be the flu, not terminal suckiness.

It all changed when they acquired Jeff Carter at the deadline. You know, the guy who some on here said they were glad we didn't trade for. Yeah that guy.

I'm having a hard time recalling all those people saying "Boy! Good thing we didn't trade for Carter!"

Also, your avatar gives me a headache.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Well this was a ****ing disgraceful game. Shut out by an AHL goalie. Good job.

Sedins were slow, not winning any puck battles because there were no battles because they werent moving their feet. Didn't matter who played with them. Should have just stuck Dorsett on with them just to keep Dorsett off of any other line...

Higgins and Bonino were also slow and completely useless. Can't make or receive passes. Didn't matter whether Burrows or Vrbata was on this line. Should have just stuck Matthias on this line so they can all hang out and kill each others' plays.

Third line was entirely suspect at doing anything at all. Kassian with a couple dumbo plays defensively... Matthias only good on the perimeter. Richardson only good when his linemates are changing, like normal.

Horvat and Hansen were good, but playing with Dorsett, who has been a complete non-factor in the last however many games now...

Vey should not have sat this game, and I certainly hope he doesn't sit the next game.

Edler - Tanev were great.
Stanton - Bieksa bleeds another goal.
Sbisa was crap with his bad decisions, but looked better in the 3rd. Corrado was our 3rd best Dman this game. I say he gets another.

Lack was a wall, but apparently 1GA loses games when you play for the Canucks.

Good teams don't do this. This is crap. Our top 6 is too damned slow. Only Burrows can skate; Vrbata can when he wants to.

Our bottom 6 is playing decent, but not generating any energy. What the hell does Dorsett think his job is? Well... at least he got in a fight in this game, but it was kind of random and he really didn't do anything else.

This may seem like an overly negative "we lost" post, but I've refrained from posting these right after a loss (just finished watching it on the PVR). This game epitomizes why we have been losing. Thankfully, Lack was playing well or the usual suspects (Bieksa, Sbisa, Stanton) were playing like utter crap, chipping the puck randomly around. Notice how the players who don't do this - the ones who hold the puck for a split second and actually make plays - don't frustrate us nearly as much.

The chick who was the mentor in Ender's Game makes a good point - hold the trigger for a half second. It may not seem like it in the heat of the moment, but you've got at least that much time to think about what you are doing. I'm glad Corrado showed that he could do it.

I don't know where the forecheck that brought us where we are in the standings has gone. Higgins and Bonino are completely AWAL when it was their bread and butter early in the season... Hansen spinning around against the wall is all well and good, but when there is no support, what the hell is he supposed to do?

The Sedin Saucer Pass is just a complete non-factor lately. Every one of their passes gets picked off...

Ugh... positives are in order, I think.

Based on the only NHL game he's played this year, Corrado looks like an improvement on that bottom pairing - and take your pick of who you kick off of it.

Hamhuis should be back within a weak, and while he may come back slow, he can only be an upgrade on the garbage on our lower back end.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
What frustrates me the most is that in this team I don't see a future.

Tarasenko and Foresberg aside. Monahan and Gaudreau pf Calgary, Nyquist and Tatar of Detroit...

Like, what should I be expecting of the young talents of our team?

maybe next year? hopefully or this year? if mangement decides to ship a couple of vets out. make room for some kids. ala calgary did a couple of years ago.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Worth waiting a week or two to see how the bounce back from the flu before panicking.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

They were both sick, so Eddie got sent out to protect Miller as Eddie is deemed the one to take the bullet if the going gets tough.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
What a frustrating game to watch. So many posts and chances through the first half, only to fade away. I still dont understand how the Canucks didnt get a powerplay that game. Im not saying conspiracy or anything, just that there were penalties that could have been called.

How many times now has Eddie lost 1-0 games? It's at least two times in his last three starts. That is crazy.

The Horvat line looked good tonight, at least. Urrrgh. On to the next one...

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
didnt think the effort was terrible considering the flu excuse, but thats kind of the issue with this team...a hardworking group with decent special teams and good goaltending, but very little offensive creativity from the top 6 forwards and especially the defence

team has no 2nd line centre or dynamic wingers which is becoming more visible every game

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I agree that offense from the D is a problem this season. When you look at teams that have a top defenseman they do generate scoring chances from the point that are much more dangerous than what the Canucks blue line does. What a guy like Doughty, Burns, Keith, Subban can do really is light years ahead of what we get from Edler, Bieksa, etc. Too many bobbled pucks and too slow to make a play. They always need to out think and out support the defenders instead of simply out skate them which is a nice card to be able to play when your opponent is giving you very little.

Hielo Grande

Nov 7, 2007
vallarta
The Canucks didn't score because most are sick and they didn't want to breathe all over each other in a group hug, which follows a goal, and further spread the flu.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Can't wait till the sedins are gone

No doubt. We're not winning anything with them on the team. They're too slow. The game has become too fast for them, it's embarrassing to be honest. The way that they try to tie up their man along the boards and slow down the game to a snail pace so that they can try and do something is ridiculous. I actually wish that they'd get called for holding when they do that, it would expose them even more than they have been this year. They're a one trick pony that gets shut down against any decent team.

But sadly, they're not going anywhere. Management doesn't have the balls to move out this old rickety grandpa core that we have. Horvat and Corrado proved last night that this team needs some young blood in this lineup, and more of it. Time to tell Horvat he's now an integral part of this team, and give him the ice time that reflects it to hopefully help him take the next step.

Benning and Linden want a winning environment, well it's time to drop the old dead weight and get younger. The Miller signing was not a good sign of what we can expect next.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No doubt. We're not winning anything with them on the team. They're too slow. The game has become too fast for them, it's embarrassing to be honest. The way that they try to tie up their man along the boards and slow down the game to a snail pace so that they can try and do something is ridiculous. I actually wish that they'd get called for holding when they do that, it would expose them even more than they have been this year. They're a one trick pony that gets shut down against any decent team.

But sadly, they're not going anywhere. Management doesn't have the balls to move out this old rickety grandpa core that we have. Horvat and Corrado proved last night that this team needs some young blood in this lineup, and more of it. Time to tell Horvat he's now an integral part of this team, and give him the ice time that reflects it to hopefully help him take the next step.

Benning and Linden want a winning environment, well it's time to drop the old dead weight and get younger. The Miller signing was not a good sign of what we can expect next.

I agree with most of what you say, except Horvat really isn't ready for a much bigger role on this team. We need to continue to allow him to learn the NHL game with little pressure. Get him good wingers like Burrows and Higgins perhaps, and have them face decent competition, but don't put him in a position where we are relying on him. That could just ruin his confidence.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
That 2nd line needs to get going ASAP. Bonino and Higgins have 3 and 2 points respectively over the last 17 games.
Am sort of surprised Kassian hasn't been tried at the 2nd line spot yet, if only for a period. Try anything to get that 2nd line going. Desjardins and his glacial-slow adjustments on the powerplay and ES is costing us points.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Realy worryed to this lost cause is the same as last year but thought was diffy this year cause of WD but i dunno maybe we need a big change to all this is bad whats the point of sedins right now

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

The truth hurts

On the bright side if we draft Strome/Barzal I think besides a 1D the rebuild is done

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Our problem right now is the production we're getting from our 2nd line, not our first. Bonino and Higgins have been AWOL for almost 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad