Pre-Game Talk: GM 4: Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - May 7 - 7:00PM PST - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Before we give all the praise to the Capitals - people should remember they have been about as "successful" post-season record in recent history as the Canucks. One additional playoff round more or less amounts to pretty much **** all in the greater scheme of things.

As has already been said, the key is the Capitals core has several more chances at it, given their age.

Are we really comparing Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Schneider, Edler and Hamhuis to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Ribeiro, Green, Alzner, Carlson and Holtby?

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I already said the Capitals severely underachieved. I just don't remember them ever imploding like the Canucks so often do. They just lost, fair and square. This current Canucks core implodes and beats themselves.

Some of you may still believe in this group and power to you. Some of us have just seen enough. If the Canucks decide to bring back this game group for another go next year, whatever, nothing I can do about that, but I won't expect anything out of them. Anything. This year was my last year believing.

I don't know. Shouldn't losing after a 3-1 series lead after winning the President's trophy be considered an implosion?

I can say the Canucks have lost (and I'm assuming they've already lost) fair and square to this version of the Sharks and last year to the Kings. The only thing resembling an implosion in the playoffs I've seen since the Cup run was yesterday's game.

I suppose with so much emotionally invested into the Canucks it's a lot more frustrating and aggravating. I'm definitely frustrated. This team is done like dinner this year.

But to me and some others, this team appears to be stuck in the doldrums. It resembles somebody who's stuck at a job they hate... they're good at it but as soon as they hit some adversity, they just don't really care any more.

I guess the argument is that with a fresh perspective, they'll be rejuvenated. Moreover if we get a coach that can actually make adjustments, then we can utilize players that are effective in whatever situation we're in.

I think the biggest argument, though, is that a coaching change is a lot easier than changing personnel. If that doesn't work, then I'm all for a gutting. It may be harder to get a better return, but that's a risk I'm willing to take... it's not like the return you would get now is that great anyway.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
As has already been said, the key is the Capitals core has several more chances at it, given their age.

Are we really comparing Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Schneider, Edler and Hamhuis to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Ribeiro, Green, Alzner, Carlson and Holtby?
Riberio will be gone after this season. Given the Sedin's style of play - their level of play won't see as dramatic a drop-off as they get older (plus they don't get into the habit of getting injured). So goes Ovechkin, so goes the Caps.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't know. Shouldn't losing after a 3-1 series lead after winning the President's trophy be considered an implosion?

I can say the Canucks have lost (and I'm assuming they've already lost) fair and square to this version of the Sharks and last year to the Kings. The only thing resembling an implosion in the playoffs I've seen since the Cup run was yesterday's game.

I suppose with so much emotionally invested into the Canucks it's a lot more frustrating and aggravating. I'm definitely frustrated. This team is done like dinner this year.

But to me and some others, this team appears to be stuck in the doldrums. It resembles somebody who's stuck at a job they hate... they're good at it but as soon as they hit some adversity, they just don't really care any more.

I guess the argument is that with a fresh perspective, they'll be rejuvenated. Moreover if we get a coach that can actually make adjustments, then we can utilize players that are effective in whatever situation we're in.

I think the biggest argument, though, is that a coaching change is a lot easier than changing personnel. If that doesn't work, then I'm all for a gutting. It may be harder to get a better return, but that's a risk I'm willing to take... it's not like the return you would get now is that great anyway.

I guess I'm willing to give this core one more season with new coach. My point that I won't expect any sort of meaningful success from them still stands, but if Gillis hires a new voice behind the bench, I could reserve my desires for a re-tool/re-build for a later date.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
We will undoubtedly regret trading Edler if it does happen

probably.. he's one of the few players that can make a breakout pass.. so it would be fixing one hole and creating another.

they should clean house and let the tanking begin. There are some amzing talents coming into the league in the next several years, and we could acquire some great picks for some of these core players as well as tanking for our own. I doubt this will happen but it should.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
Riberio will be gone after this season. Given the Sedin's style of play - their level of play won't see as dramatic a drop-off as they get older (plus they don't get into the habit of getting injured). So goes Ovechkin, so goes the Caps.

Keeping the Sedins might make sense depending on what they want for their next contracts. I agree that they might age alright, but they aren't the guys that can carry an offense anymore.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
probably.. he's one of the few players that can make a breakout pass.. so it would be fixing one hole and creating another.
Right now, I'd settle for two defensemen pairings that aren't liabilities defensively.

With AV - it's Edler-Bieksa in top four minutes....

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Meh, I've thought that before each of the last two games. Only Kesler and Luongo showed up for a bit.

Two seasons after Calgary went to the finals is when they should have started rebuilding. We have that same opportunity now... I hope we don't screw it up.

This notion is nonsense. No team ever has, nor ever will, blow up this fast when they still have elite players. The Sharks have toiled in mediocrity lower than we have and despite countless whining about moving Marleau and/or Thornton - that neither were leaders. Both are still there and still leading the team. We will not trade the Sedins and anyone hoping so is better advised to cheering for another team - spare yourself the disappointment because it's not happening.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Garrison is still best +/- among our defensemans just like the regular season.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Flyers were down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in game 7 and eventually won. They made the finals that season. Canucks are probably donebut not sure why you want them to lose.

I can see the team coming back from being down 0-3 in a series ALOT more than down 3-0 in a particular game oddly enough. Team quits *during* a game when they're down a few goals. Been always that way under AV in recent history.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Here's the main difference between their core and ours, besides ours having lower cap hits - thankfully. Our best players were drafted in 1999 (Sedin's) and 2003 (Kesler). Washington's were drafted in 2004 (Ovechkin), 2006 (Backstrom). They're younger.

If you think the Sedin's have shown anything in the last 3 playoff series that indicate that they can lead a team back to the finals, you're delusional. They can't even lead the team to a single victory.

Tell you what. Quote me on this in a year or two because I'm saying right now, they most definitely could with a proper coach that actually utilizes them.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Probably not going to watch this one unless someone like Gaunce or Jensen play. But for the love of God AV...please go with these lines:

Sedins - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Roy - Lapierre
Raymond - Schroeder - Weise

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
If there's anything the Canucks do best, it's creating drama. No, I'm not talking about the goalie drama.

Let's make it interesting. Canucks win the next 2 games.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
We will undoubtedly regret trading Edler if it does happen

I don't know, man. If he was 22 or 23 then maybe there would be some validity to "regret" but now at 27 we have seen what there is with Edler. There is no untapped greatness or another level with him. What we see is what we have. Great on some nights, terrible on others. This is also the second playoffs in a row where he's looked completely overwhelmed and out of place. He's a top 4 Dman and that's all he's ever going to be. I really think he's already hit his peak. Sure I could be wrong but I just don't think there would be anything to regret in trading Edler especially if it helped improve the team in other areas. He is certainly no franchise player who isn't replaceable.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

Not really. Just points to how concerned the Canucks are about everything but playing hockey. They have no business chirping anyone being down 3-0 and it looks ridiculous that they are.

Coach and player not even on same page...

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m
AV asked about Bieksa's comments, "We're the embelishers." #canucks

Said AV extremely sarcastically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad