Post-Game Talk: [GM 30] Canucks lose to Jets | 1-5 | Horvat

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sat pretty fired up on the post-game show, probably the most amped I've heard him. Main target for him was the leadership core including Horvat.

Reactions: Indiana

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I didn't listen could you expand a bit?

Please and thank you.

Take this as very loose paraphrasing, as it was a bit earlier I listened. But, he called out Horvat as a guy who is putting up numbers but is doing nothing in terms of leadership or doing things leading to wins. Also commented how he doesn't want to hear about adding a type of player who gets the team going (used Motte last year as an example) as the leaders/core should be doing that themselves.

They (Bik/Sat) went in a fair bit on this core in general and how it's stale and changes need to be made.

There was more but it was all along those lines. I have listened to most post-game shows this year and I'm sure there was similar frustration in October but this was extremely negative compared to the last month or so. Definitely the most negative I've heard about Horvat.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Had to wait before posting, lots of analyzing that game. NOT!

What a horrible game to watch, both teams played like crud.
Vancouver looked like they were trying to keep Winnipeg from scoring and forgot all about playing hockey.

Almost surpassing description it was so bad.

But surprise surprise that is what tanking looks like.

It is hard to complain when they are doing what, "we the fans" want them to do.

Complaining makes us two faced.

IMO it is the message from the management that is causing all the angry and disgust with a game like that. If they said they were going to rebuild the fans would be applauding games like that, where there was absolutely no hope or effort to win.

EMBRACE THE RESULT!!!! THAT WAS TANKING!!!

• Love

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Take this as very loose paraphrasing, as it was a bit earlier I listened. But, he called out Horvat as a guy who is putting up numbers but is doing nothing in terms of leadership or doing things leading to wins. Also commented how he doesn't want to hear about adding a type of player who gets the team going (used Motte last year as an example) as the leaders/core should be doing that themselves.

They (Bik/Sat) went in a fair bit on this core in general and how it's stale and changes need to be made.

There was more but it was all along those lines. I have listened to most post-game shows this year and I'm sure there was similar frustration in October but this was extremely negative compared to the last month or so. Definitely the most negative I've heard about Horvat.
Is he wrong? Horvat is scoring goals but not driving play or making his linemates better. He is going through the motions in a contract year despite being the C. Maybe he’s over it or he’s pissed about not getting the $ he wanted. Either way, the poor starts and inconsistent play is a reflection of the leaders. There is a huge void in leadership and with the loss of Tanev, Markstrom, Edler it has become glaring. The team has been dog meat since the bubble but we keep committing.

The only guy who deeply seems to care about wins is EP. Build around him and hope some of the secondary guys like Hoglander, Kuzmenko, Pod etc can form a reasonable top 9. The defense needs to be entire rebuilt, but it can’t be around Hughes. They need a more well rounded #1D. If Demko is done then the rebuild should begin now.

I think at some point we need to forget about getting great value. Horvat, Miller, Pearson for picks. Find someone to take OEL. Buyout Myers. Start from scratch.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is he wrong? Horvat is scoring goals but not driving play or making his linemates better. He is going through the motions in a contract year despite being the C. Maybe he’s over it or he’s pissed about not getting the $ he wanted. Either way, the poor starts and inconsistent play is a reflection of the leaders. There is a huge void in leadership and with the loss of Tanev, Markstrom, Edler it has become glaring. The team has been dog meat since the bubble but we keep committing.

He's not wrong.

The only guy who deeply seems to care about wins is EP.

Maybe. It wasn't that long ago that he was the one last year pouting because he wasn't scoring goals himself.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Need them to direct that same energy toward ownership/management, the people who decided to double down on this group.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wouldn't even need to sign Holtby, we're already paying him!
Still?
But, he called out Horvat as a guy who is putting up numbers but is doing nothing in terms of leadership or doing things leading to wins. Also commented how he doesn't want to hear about adding a type of player who gets the team going (used Motte last year as an example) as the leaders/core should be doing that themselves.
I know what a bum he couldn't score 4 more goals to get us even. Meanwhile nobody seems to want to comment on Miller whose contract is quickly turning into the worst contract this team has ever signed and who hasn't done jack squat in a week. It's apparently also Horvat's fault our goalie played an .815 game. I'm hoping he pulls a Willie Mitchell on us once discarded. Maybe he'll bring the Cup to Vancouver when he wins it with his new team...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Tough loss last night. I think Horvat for Newhook and Schenn for a pick will help improve the team and also shut up the stupid rebuild fans.

I’d then use the Schenn pick to trade for a healthy scratch dman who needs a fresh start and maybe sign another winger in free agency.

Perfect re-tool on the fly.

Hopefully Boudreau won’t keep holding this team back.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Still?

I know what a bum he couldn't score 4 more goals to get us even. Meanwhile nobody seems to want to comment on Miller whose contract is quickly turning into the worst contract this team has ever signed and who hasn't done jack squat in a week. It's apparently also Horvat's fault our goalie played an .815 game. I'm hoping he pulls a Willie Mitchell on us once discarded. Maybe he'll bring the Cup to Vancouver when he wins it with his new team...

You don't think Miller gets criticized?

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I legit do not understand their aversion to rebuilding. Like its not a full on tear it down - Pete, Hughes, Kuzmenko can be the older part of the core while the add for expiring deals.

The Horvat trade should ideally land a 1st + Solid prospect + expiring cap dump (or just retain).

I can see it now the "well we ran out of time" and "its hard to make trades" at the TDL conference when neither Bo or Schenn get traded

rebuilding is just a loose term that can mean very different things to different people.
It can mean anything from trading everyone and accumulating picks to moving most of the big contracts save the big 3. If Allvin said we are rebuilding what does that even mean? why its so important?

If anything the management has basically said changes need to happen ever since they took the role.

I care less about what they say, what they do is far more important. So far they resigned JT because they couldn't trade him and had to bend to keep an asset. Boeser was flat out a mistake.

Unless they trade Miller, they kind of committed themselves to a quick turnaround - not just any turnaround, but a turnaround that requires Miller to be good.

How they handle Horvat, and players like Boeser, Myers, Schenn, along with what we have seen will give us a pretty good idea of the competence of this management very soon.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Seeing how badly they were being outshot in the 1st you just knew it wasn't going to be a good game. When it became 3-0 in the 2nd that's when I turned it off, they were being dominated all game, people want playoffs but seeing how much better the Jets were than the Canucks, this team is not playoff caliber even if they squeak in, Jets would win 4 straight easily.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
It's not just about age, but contracts as well. Sure, EP, Hughes and Kuz leading a future, yet to be added core, sounds nice... but it's awfully wishful.

EP has already been difficult in negotiations, Hughes is American, which doesn't historically bode well for staying above the border, and Kuz is a wildcard. These guys aren't much different age wise to Bo/JT/Demko at the end of their current deals.

The 'futures' acquired, if keeping guys like EP/Hughes, better be ready to be presents, really damn fast. Otherwise, it's the same discussion all over again, just different name bars.
Sure but trotting out the same group over & over is what Benning tried for his 8 year tenure while adding fringe pieces. It just doesn't work imho.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Win or lose, the 'big picture' is that this team simply isn't good enough defensively to be much more than afterthought in the playoff race.

I mean when was the last time a team in the bottom-five of the league in terms of goals against; and with the worst PK in the league; ever made the playoffs? I doubt that it's ever happened.

The Canucks surrendered five or six 'grade A' chances before the game was five minutes old last night. And it's pretty obvious how teams like the Jets are playing the Canucks.....they just lock it down and wait for the Canucks to start coughing up the puck; make a bad line change or take a penalty they can't kill. It works every time.

And after 30 games, it's safe to say that this is who the Canucks are. They'll struggle to get to .500--which of course won't be nearly good enough to be in the top eight in the Western Conference.

So the only thing left of interest in this season is the TDL and the draft. Another lost year, with both Petey and Hughes closer to free agency.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Tough loss last night. I think Horvat for Newhook and Schenn for a pick will help improve the team and also shut up the stupid rebuild fans.

I’d then use the Schenn pick to trade for a healthy scratch dman who needs a fresh start and maybe sign another winger in free agency.

Perfect re-tool on the fly.

Hopefully Boudreau won’t keep holding this team back.
Yeah. Trade more draft picks for waiver fodder garbage just like Jimmy B!

Solid plan.

Reactions: Nucker101

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Win or lose, the 'big picture' is that this team simply isn't good enough defensively to be much more than afterthought in the playoff race.

I mean when was the last time a team in the bottom-five of the league in terms of goals against; and with the worst PK in the league; ever made the playoffs? I doubt that it's ever happened.

The Canucks surrendered five or six 'grade A' chances before the game was five minutes old last night. And it's pretty obvious how teams like the Jets are playing the Canucks.....they just lock it down and wait for the Canucks to start coughing up the puck; make a bad line change or take a penalty they can't kill. It works every time.

And after 30 games, it's safe to say that this is who the Canucks are. They'll struggle to get to .500--which of course won't be nearly good enough to be in the top eight in the Western Conference.

So the only thing left of interest in this season is the TDL and the draft. Another lost year, with both Petey and Hughes closer to free agency.
I hope someone can answer this.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad