Post-Game Talk: [GM 3] Vancouver Canucks @ Washington Capitals | 4 - 6 Loss (Pettersson, Horvat, Lazar, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The bolded is not correct.

Even more absurdly, it is the "Bruce there it is" crowd who are lighting the pitchforks.

Wait, lighting a pitchfork? I think you've mixed some metaphors.

Haven't you heard? Everyone lights their pitchforks now. Better visibility for the night stabbing.

Oops, ha.

I'm seeing a lot of the people mocking the 60-game Bruce Bump as a crazy aberration who are now almost gleeful about what's happened in a 3-game sample size.

What I see is a team that was a 92-point team last year that should clearly improve on that, both through additions and internal development, and presumably because the team's top player in Pettersson won't be utterly useless through the first 40 games of the year. And I'm not going to decide if that take was a good or bad one until I see 15 or 20 games from this team. Not 3.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
While I 100% agree with you and love your rational take on the season so far I however do see why everyone is full blown panic mode.

At the end of the day this is still the same team we've had the last half decade. And they are still playing like the same team from the last half decade.

I think we as fans are just running out of patience.
And just to add, many of us expected some changes with the team. They basically doubled on this group while the group hasn't done much other than one short COVID playoff run.

Furthermore, if the team continues to play poorly there aren't a lot of options over the next 2-3 years so we are stuck watching this group.

I don't think this team is THIS bad but they aren't good either. It's likely around 10th place finish in the West

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Finally a coach willing to 'tell it like it is'. Boudreau quoted as saying the Canucks are 'mentally weak' after the latest meltdown to the Caps.

Wow! Talk about a brickbat aimed directly at the GM. After all, he's the one that assembled this group of 'mental weaklings'.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Obviously a lot of posters 'cliff diving' already...It is a very frustrating start, but its not anything that cannot be ironed out...If they were a crap team, they wouldn't have blown 2 or 3 goal leads, because they wouldnt have been good enough get them in the first place....None of the teams we've just lost to are beyond the scope of a beatable team.

It could possibly get worse in the very near term, but they will snap out of it...and get on a roll...That , I have no doubt.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
The roster is based on having enough firepower to give run support to Snatcher Demko who is a franchise goalie who will steal games and series. The firepower is there. If Demko keeps up his .850 save percentage over the long term then I’ll be worried.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Glad I didn't get a chance to watch this whole thing. Yikes. Watched some of the highlights. Demko has struggled, but some bad bounces for him today too. It didn't help that Hoglander and Hughes completely lost their checks on the 5th and 6th goals with not even a stick on the wide open Capitals player headed to the net in each situation. Just inexcusable stuff.

It's only 3 games into the season and we probably deserved a better fate in at least one of these games, but honestly with this group and their history, particularly the start to the last two seasons, it just doesn't matter. It's some of the same old narratives. They are absolutely a mentally fragile team and haven't shown much growth or maturity in this respect. When the chips are down, who's the leader on that bench who can settle the boys or go out and impose their will on the game. So far I don't see a single player wearing a Canucks jersey who fits that description.

It's only 3 games, but no more moral victories, silver linings or whatever other crap. Just go out and get the job done. And if they don't hopefully Allvin can figure out a plan on how to drastically reshape this team. Another failed season and no one is untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: sting101

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Haven't you heard? Everyone lights their pitchforks now. Better visibility for the night stabbing.

Oops, ha.

I'm seeing a lot of the people mocking the 60-game Bruce Bump as a crazy aberration who are now almost gleeful about what's happened in a 3-game sample size.

What I see is a team that was a 92-point team last year that should clearly improve on that, both through additions and internal development, and presumably because the team's top player in Pettersson won't be utterly useless through the first 40 games of the year. And I'm not going to decide if that take was a good or bad one until I see 15 or 20 games from this team. Not 3.

I dunno. I can both think the way these first 3 games have gone is pretty funny while also not really read much into it. I expect the team will finish 14th-18th.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not a fan of the late game colony collapse phenomenon. I mean, in and of itself it's statistically nothing, but then if they start dwelling on it, and maybe another stupid fluke one happens again, and becomes a whole thing, etc etc etc. And nobody wants that.

But the act's obviously not together. A few good individual plays here, some flash there...some not so flash over the other place...oh well, shit happens when you're rolling half an AHL d corps.

Hughes did manage some pretty brutal d play himself tonight, but it's not like that's a new thing.

Pettersson made some insane individual efforts. Easily the most skilled player up front.

Generally passive play. Pushed around a little bit; ironically the guy most often in the fray was the smallest.

Like Kuzmenko's motor. Would like to see him do more with it. Not sure how well he's meshing with Pete.

Did Boeser get hurt? Did I miss that? I think I heard his name like twice today.

D is...special.

Special teams are *very* special. Like, Travis Green level special. That to me is a more worrying sign than the late game collapses.

Team mix is still clearly off. I mean, with half the d gone, yeah sure. Duh. But I'd like to get at least one win out of this road trip.

Blegh. Next.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That was a fun game to watch...

This team looks scared as hell and every time they get scored on they spend the next few minutes in shock.

Many people deal with job insecurity on a day to day basis, a lot of them working at or near minimum wage. Should all those people just put in 50% effort and call it a day every time they show up to work? At least Horvat doesn't have to worry about making rent or if he can put food on the table for his family.
This is just a terrible excuse to be playing like crap.
Ok.

So why is he doing that in your opinion then?

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Obviously a lot of posters 'cliff diving' already...It is a very frustrating start, but its not anything that cannot be ironed out...If they were a crap team, they wouldn't have blown 2 or 3 goal leads, because they wouldnt have been good enough get them in the first place....None of the teams we've just lost to are beyond the scope of a beatable team.

It could possibly get worse in the very near term, but they will snap out of it...and get on a roll...That , I have no doubt.
Lol

For real, still the forever true believer crap? Man. This is like religious or something.

Reactions: quat

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

That blew my mind. But not as much as the fact that after blatantly hitting him in the face with his stick, that he acted indignant and gave him a cross check for good measure. Like, what the f***?

EDIT: And again, it’s Burroughs eating this cowardly sort of BS. Nurse in Game 1, now Kuznetsov here. I know Burroughs plays a hard game, but good grief.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What is rebuild properly? Since the cup run we got a bunch of good top 10 picks in Horvat Pettersson Hughes Podkolzin and then Boeser Hoglander Demko and signed good FAs, if that’s not enough for you no rebuild will be good enough
Uh no. They made no attempt at a rebuild. They never had a pick surplus, or willingly sold off vets (aside from one TDL). And LMAO at signing good UFAs. Which ones? Eriksson? Beagle? Roussel? Myers?

EP and Hughes were just fortunate accidents. Benning thought he had built competitive teams, but failed so badly that he ended up with high draft picks anyway.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
OEL has been the biggest passenger of any player on this team through the first three games.
Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 11.35.19 PM.png

That blew my mind. But not as much as the fact that after blatantly hitting him in the face with his stick, that he acted indignant and gave him a cross check for good measure. Like, what the f***?

EDIT: And again, it’s Burroughs eating this cowardly sort of BS. Nurse in Game 1, now Kuznetsov here. I know Burroughs plays a hard game, but good grief.
God forbid if Kuz had pulled that shit with Sidney "Molly Ringwald" Crosby.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
What is rebuild properly? Since the cup run we got a bunch of good top 10 picks in Horvat Pettersson Hughes Podkolzin and then Boeser Hoglander Demko and signed good FAs, if that’s not enough for you no rebuild will be good enough
A proper rebuild in my mind is the team would collect draft picks like lottery tickets, core players other than Hughes, Petterson and Demkos shouldn't even be on the roster after the trade deadline. Purposefully lose every game in order to bid for the number one overall pick.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
A proper rebuild in my mind is the team would collect draft picks like lottery tickets, core players other than Hughes, Petterson and Demkos shouldn't even be on the roster after the trade deadline. Purposefully lose every game in order to bid for the number one overall pick.
Or just prioritizing appreciating assets over depreciating assets.

The team has leaked so much value over these years that they have a cap structure and prospect pool of a team that is exiting from cup contention while managing to be one of the worst teams in the league this past decade.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
whose in charge of the PK. its even worst than last year. fire jason king seriously the pp has no creativity. a good team with a good PP will say move your feet make the opposing pkers get confused to have an opportunity for a chance to score and create rebounds. all i see is pass from miller qh back to petey for a one timer. or the slot where horvat operates. past two games blocked shots and the pkers have a chance to score shorthanded which has already happened against edmonton and philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad