Post-Game Talk: GM 3 | Flames def. Canucks - 3-0 - (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think we need to stop saying things like Virtanen scored 18 goals last season. Sure but hockey is so much more than the goals a player scores. The reason the 18 goals gets pointed to is simply because there is literally nothing else about his game that is worth pointing out on most nights. He may have some play drive stats in his favor but ultimately the GF and GA when he’s on the ice balance and probably aren’t even in his favor.

Not the biggest issue at all but he’s not someone you worry about losing if doing so rids the team of a big issue. I likely put Gaudette in the same camp.

Now the other options are equally unattractive. Bailey is not a NHL player. He’s proven that in multiple organizations. But that is the depth this team is looking at when injuries happen. Eriksson and Bailey. Yikes.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This is such an incredibly poorly constructed team. Literally shit all after a half dozen or so top players.

Anyone that has faith in the management team to finish this “rebuild” while simultaneously watching this team play is crazy.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Mgmt kept Myers, Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Roussell, and the bizarrely exiled Baertschi while letting go of Marky, Tanev, and Stecher for nothing.

The atrociousnessabilty of this management team - that had to be over-ruled to pick Petey - is beyond comprehension.

Well, other than the fact that we get to watch it play out game after game.

After game.

For season after season.

After season.

For decade after decade.

Afte . . . well, you get the point.

Well, some of you do

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I wish the bob’s could do an internal audit of our bottom six. “What exactly do you do here.” Jay beagle: “ I have people skills!”

Slowest bottom six in the league.
Don’t hit
Don’t provide secondary scoring
Don’t provide energy
Don’t even kill penalties all that great.

if none of these guys were back next year I wouldn’t bat an eye. Even guadette and virtanen are rather useless at even strength and aren’t long term pieces.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I still don't know why Roussel is always grouped in with these guys. He was injured last year. He's a tenacious player who has decent passing ability. He should be far down your roster, on an elite 4th line or being carried on a 3rd if theres chemistry there and he's healthy. It's not easy playing with Gaudette, the guy plays frantically and he's very poor defensively.

I feel like he's grouped in because he was acquired in that timeframe where Benning went to town and overpaid a bunch of depth players. And then it didn't help when media tried to blame him for Reeves being effective. Fact is, reeves is effective and it's not just our team he's been effective against

I get this and to be fair, Roussel is probably the one of this group I have the most hope for. When he's healthy, he provides an energy and dimension for the team that no one else really does at the moment.

The problem is post-injury he's never looked the same and it's frustrating watching him not be effective. I agree there's probably a bias due to the timing of him being signed and due to his contract. It's just maddening to me that we're paying over 18m for 5 players on this team on our bottom 6 and in the pressbox (Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Baertschi) to see these kinds of results.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Is it just me or has Myers lost a step this year, he seems to be laboring around out there. He trained with Virtanen... hm but seriously. He hasn't looked as mobile as usual. Perhaps he needs some more games

He was busy babysitting Virtanen during the off season, less time to focus on his own training.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mgmt kept Myers, Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Roussell, and the bizarrely exiled Baertschi while letting go of Marky, Tanev, and Stecher for nothing.

The atrociousnessabilty of this management team - that had to be over-ruled to pick Petey - is beyond comprehension.

They Locked themselves into contracts with these players and there was no out for them.

Myers - they said goodbye to the oft injured Tanev the moment they signed him. Can understand them based on the prior 3 seasons of Tanev and his games played that they would ultimately not extend him. Not much else on the open market that is a RHD.

Loui - the biggest head scratcher. All due tot he re-tool with the Sedins mindset that organization had. Cause you don't give a 31 year old 6 years to play with a pair of 35 year olds who have 2 years left on their contracts.

Sutter - call it bad luck to get a guy who missed like 10 games during his entire 6/7 year career up to the trade to end up on IR so much.

Beagle/Roussell - GM looking for a quick fix rather than set himself up for the future. Better off to have given them $3.5 mill per on 3 year deals rather than locking into that 4th year.
That extra $1 million per maybe prevents them for signing a Ferland last season.

Sven was an example of NOT using the time you have on your side. 2 years away from UFA and they give him 3 years. Unless you are sold on him as a 2nd line winger, you don't do 3 years. You do 1 or 2 years, even via Arbitration. Egg on JB's face because 1 year into the deal after a concussion plagued season, he wants to dump him. Well, then you shouldn't have given him 3 years because as an RFA he wasn't going to command an OS, so it was just you, his agent, and maybe an Arbitrator who would decide his contract.

Unless you need the cap space, better to get term over cap hit.

Reactions: B-rock and Skriko

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Markstrom > Holtby
Leivo > Roussel
Stetcher > Juolevi
Tanev > Myers

And that's just this past off season's moves. This GM has never had a clue how to properly assess players value and how they are trending when heading into free agency.

The pro scouting department continues to be dreadful.

How the hell is Benning the second longest serving GM in team history??

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Markstrom > Holtby
Leivo > Roussel
Stetcher > Juolevi
Tanev > Myers

And that's just this past off season's moves. This GM has never had a clue how to properly assess players value and how they are trending when heading into free agency.

The pro scouting department continues to be dreadful.

How the hell is Benning the second longest serving GM in team history??
And Tofoli is a way better player than Jake.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Depth really shouldn't be an issue, at least no more than most other teams. maybe we just aren't spreading the wealth properly. When Podkolzin gets here, we should have plenty of depth to create a pretty good 3rd line of say Hoglander/Gaudette/Podkolzin. Hoglander slots in at LW because that's his normal position.

So here you have a good 3rd line at less than 3 million total in salary, though Gaudette will get a raise next year, but still relatively cheap. After that it should be easy to piece together a 4th line that doesn't play a lot anyways.

Reactions: mossey3535

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Why is Tyer motte averaging 16+ minutes a game? He's quickly losing all the goodwill he's built up in the playoffs. His icetime looks even worse considering he's been in the box so much that he's not even accumulating ice time doing what he does best PK.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Imagine if Hoglander didn't have a great camp or wasn't ready for the NHL. Think about how bleak the roster would look then with Miller out, Hoglander in the AHL/SHL. We'd have Eriksson and Virtanen as top six wingers.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why is Tyer motte averaging 16+ minutes a game? He's quickly losing all the goodwill he's built up in the playoffs. His icetime looks even worse considering he's been in the box so much that he's not even accumulating ice time doing what he does best PK.

Conversely, I don’t envy Green when he looks down the bench and tries to decide who to put on the ice from his bottom six so I guess I can kind of see how Motte is being overplayed.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Conversely, I don’t envy Green when he looks down the bench and tries to decide who to put on the ice from his bottom six so I guess I can kind of see how Motte is being overplayed.

I just don't get playing the Rousse-Gaudette-Mack line 6-8 minutes a game. I think they've been half decent and it's really hard to get anything going when you're playing 2-3 minutes a period.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
You would think it's game 50 and we are 9 points out of the playoff race and just lost 5-0 for the 5th time in a row to the Oilers judging by the comments on this board.

Geezus I get that not everything is amazing but man........IT IS 3 GAMES IN - ease yourselves off that cliff peoples..........our team has a very bright future - not sure why everyone gets sooo riled up after a couple games.

Win the next one and everyone will be talking about whether or not we make the Conference Finals or the Cup..............

#BIPOLARBOARD

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You would think it's game 50 and we are 9 points out of the playoff race and just lost 5-0 for the 5th time in a row to the Oilers judging by the comments on this board.

Geezus I get that not everything is amazing but man........IT IS 3 GAMES IN - ease yourselves off that cliff peoples..........our team has a very bright future - not sure why everyone gets sooo riled up after a couple games.

Win the next one and everyone will be talking about whether or not we make the Conference Finals or the Cup..............

#BIPOLARBOARD
It won’t be the same posters.

# READTHEUSERNAMES

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

#BIPOLARBOARD

If the team lost but put in a good effort the response would be much more measured. It's far too early in the year for the team to look that disinterested in a game.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Team is really starting to remind me of the Barkov/Huberdeau/Ekblad era Panthers in too many ways.
That era in Florida would be doing excellent if they didnt blow 10m on Bob.
Closed their own window while having superstars on bargain contracts.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

#BIPOLARBOARD

You should know the norm around here, this board is like severe jock itch.

Reactions: VancouverJagger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad