Post-Game Talk: GM 3 | Flames def. Canucks - 3-0 - (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
I think a lot of people are overreacting at this point. It's 3 games into the season, and we're at the end of a 3 in 4 nights, while Calgary only has one game under their belt previously two days ago. We absolutely looked sloppy but it's just too early and circumstantial to think the sky is falling (not that I'd expect we'd fly anywhere close to the sun). Of course, it is a shortened season with only divisional rivals so every point is worth like 2x in a normal season so we can't afford a continued slow start.

Specifics:
  • Hoglander needs a bit of seasoning but he's definitely got hands and compete. If only Virtanen had that level of compete. Needs to make sure his passes don't hit feet during transitioning especially though but I'm assuming like everyone else, he's just tired and sloppiness is setting in (I'd say that was the case in the 3rd last game for him too). I think he's ill suited for directly in front of the net on the PP though - Leave horvat there and hoglander on the half boards, I guess where Pettersson is right now and have Pettersson slide up the the point with Hughes. Find ways to cheat in when appropriate.
  • Hughes is missing the steadiness Tanev brought. Caught a few bad edges but fine game ignoring lack of results.
  • Pettersson is missing Miller or some other complementary playmaker. Boeser too for that matter but I still felt Pettersson did more this game overall that Boeser and would've gotten more outta him with some more help.
  • I think we're in for a long season with Holtby if he doesn't get sharper. I don't blame him for this loss at all but if you watch his play from this game and game 1, he's not tracking the puck that well, gives a lot of rebounds, and he's been damn lucky. That 3rd goal is pretty much what we'll see happen if he doesn't sharpen up and his luck returns to the mean.
  • Myers.... ugh, can't believe the contract that man has... if he was ~$2M, I wouldn't really care that he's playing like a 5/6th D.
  • Motte - still like the energy he's bringing but he's really got to be more disciplined even if some calls in this game and last game are weak.
Everyone else was about where I'd expect their play to be... and just a general comment that our bottom 6 is really lacking. Both PP and PK seem too static.

But what to I know... never coached a day in my life :)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
One of the biggest disappointments is that Myers isn't playing like a puck-moving defenceman OR a semi-competent defensive defenceman. I'm not even going to comment on how he doesn't play like a 6'3 hockey player (yes I know his actual height).
Cmon Mossey I hate to be THAT guy especially since your the ONLY one I know from outside the forum since we work together but Myers is actually 6'7 NOT 6'3. Cmon

Reactions: mossey3535

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
A few more games like this and I might start to think the boys are playing to get people fired. Watching Motte get double shifted and put on the PP must be a bit discouraging

that is what i was wondering. might have been a protest over tanev and marky. whatever it was, it looked like the coach was reaching for guys willing to play. it also seemed like garbage time in the third same as last game with little or mo structue. it has been a while since i have seen that.

if we continue to play like that, benning and green will both be fired and we will be at the bottom of the division.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Really tough game to watch.

The team has no swagger and needs it desperately. The kind of swagger that (hate them or love them) Bieksa, Burrows, and Kesler brought to the team. We miss Miller big time.

Does anyone else literally get angry when they see Beagle, Sutter, or Roussel on the ice now or is it just me? Jake too for that matter. Players that don't feel like they're going to improve and anchor us down.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Travis Green is a AHL coach at best.
Newel Brown can not run a powerplay at all...Nolan Baumgartner a career AHL defenseman trying to teach defense in the pro,s...was a recipe for disaster from the start..

I'm willing to give Green a chance, I felt he did well in the playoffs with what we had, and he's learning. Let's see if he can learn to adjust mid game.

As for the bolded, more accurate words cannot be spoken. We need new assistant coaches in these critical roles.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Too many passengers, not enough drivers.

--Schmidt and Hughes clearly the top rung of the D; too bad to see Hughes frustrated tonight.

--Pettersson off to a slow start, but he's the player I'm worried least about. Boeser, Horvat...not worried about them at all. It's what's behind them that's the problem.

--The loss of Markstrom and Tanev *really* hurt. As much as I love Edler for being such a game warrior for as long as he's been here, he's only human and he's slowing up. Hamonic...erm...well, the price was right. Someone's gotta be back there. Myers sucks. If Juolevi ever becomes an NHL player of any note, it represents a huge statistical outlier.

--Hoglander continues to impress. Great kid so far, love his speed and desire to get to the puck. Came along a lot faster that I thought.

--Bottom six continues to be a dog's breakfast. A massively pricy dog's breakfast. Oh well, at least Loui's not rumbling around out there.

--Goaltending wasn't the reason the team lost...but hey...who did they face in net in Calgary?

*deep sigh*

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
JT Miller is the link between the age gappers and the next gen Canucks.

Pearson could be the link but just isn't good enough or fast enough.

JT Miller has the wheels and the finish which means he defacto has hespect from hoth hides.

I don't see it from Bo and I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with the Myers, Erikssons, Roussels, Beagles and Sutters of the line up.

It's actually kind of a f***ed up situation.

These low skilled pluggers have sucked up all the cap space and term resulting in an inability to resign the guys that the next gen Canucks actually want to play with.

All of the Gillis players.

Almost like there's a concerted effort to replace every good player that Mike Gillis put onto this team regardless if it was a good idea or not.

Every single Gillis player has been disrespected on their way out the door.

lulz

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Too many passengers, not enough drivers.

--Schmidt and Hughes clearly the top rung of the D; too bad to see Hughes frustrated tonight.

--Pettersson off to a slow start, but he's the player I'm worried least about. Boeser, Horvat...not worried about them at all. It's what's behind them that's the problem.

--The loss of Markstrom and Tanev *really* hurt. As much as I love Edler for being such a game warrior for as long as he's been here, he's only human and he's slowing up. Hamonic...erm...well, the price was right. Someone's gotta be back there. Myers sucks. If Juolevi ever becomes an NHL player of any note, it represents a huge statistical outlier.

--Hoglander continues to impress. Great kid so far, love his speed and desire to get to the puck. Came along a lot faster that I thought.

--Bottom six continues to be a dog's breakfast. A massively pricy dog's breakfast. Oh well, at least Loui's not rumbling around out there.

--Goaltending wasn't the reason the team lost...but hey...who did they face in net in Calgary?

*deep sigh*

admittedly stalked your profile like ten minutes ago and you hadn’t posted on the canucks board in months and then you do right after

also loui is gonna slot in on monday according to imac

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
admittedly stalked your profile like ten minutes ago and you hadn’t posted on the canucks board in months and then you do right after

also loui is gonna slot in on monday according to imac

I still pop in once in a while. Now that there's actual games to talk about, I might stop by more often.

lol and of course Loui is in on Monday.

tenor.gif

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
JT Miller is the link between the age gappers and the next gen Canucks.

Pearson could be the link but just isn't good enough or fast enough.

JT Miller has the wheels and the finish which means he defacto has hespect from hoth hides.

I don't see it from Bo and I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with the Myers, Erikssons, Roussels, Beagles and Sutters of the line up.

It's actually kind of a f***ed up situation.

These low skilled pluggers have sucked up all the cap space and term resulting in an inability to resign the guys that the next gen Canucks actually want to play with.

All of the Gillis players.

Almost like there's a concerted effort to replace every good player that Mike Gillis put onto this team regardless if it was a good idea or not.

Every single Gillis player has been disrespected on their way out the door.

lulz

I'm as disillusioned as anyone who cares about cap management on Benning but I don't know that this is a really accurate picture... fact of the matter is, the biggest exciting pieces we currently have are almost all Benning moves. If he just didn't f*** up the contract side, we might be in a quite solid position. Of course, we may also not have been picking as high so who knows.

Else, where do you get the impression there's this gap in respect?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
My usual practice is to completely ignore the standings until about game 10 or so. But, the combination of a condensed season with a lacklustre start... things ain't looking good. Miller is awesome, but by the time he is able to rejoin the lineup, the Canucks could easily be 1-3 while facing a hot Montreal team.

While I've refrained from making predictions this year, one of my bedrock assumptions is that the Canucks needed to get off to a strong start in order to make the playoffs. I figured they had a good chance to do so given the lack of preseason games that should benefit a team that can run-and-gun like the Canucks.

The flip side of that is that opposing teams can key in on Pettersson and Hughes since there ain't much behind them in the lineup.

The tissue-thin depth is starting to factor in sooner than I thought it would. Like, who can they swap into the line-up that's actually going to make things better? As good as they are, Pettersson and Hughes can't make it happen all on their own.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020

The team has no swagger and needs it desperately. The kind of swagger that (hate them or love them) Bieksa, Burrows, and Kesler brought to the team. We miss Miller big time.

Does anyone else literally get angry when they see Beagle, Sutter, or Roussel on the ice now or is it just me? Jake too for that matter. Players that don't feel like they're going to improve and anchor us down.

I still don't know why Roussel is always grouped in with these guys. He was injured last year. He's a tenacious player who has decent passing ability. He should be far down your roster, on an elite 4th line or being carried on a 3rd if theres chemistry there and he's healthy. It's not easy playing with Gaudette, the guy plays frantically and he's very poor defensively.

I feel like he's grouped in because he was acquired in that timeframe where Benning went to town and overpaid a bunch of depth players. And then it didn't help when media tried to blame him for Reeves being effective. Fact is, reeves is effective and it's not just our team he's been effective against

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
My usual practice is to completely ignore the standings until about game 10 or so. But, the combination of a condensed season with a lacklustre start... things ain't looking good. Miller is awesome, but by the time he is able to rejoin the lineup, the Canucks could easily be 1-3 while facing a hot Montreal team.

While I've refrained from making predictions this year, one of my bedrock assumptions is that the Canucks needed to get off to a strong start in order to make the playoffs. I figured they had a good chance to do so given the lack of preseason games that should benefit a team that can run-and-gun like the Canucks.

The flip side of that is that opposing teams can key in on Pettersson and Hughes since there ain't much behind them in the lineup.

The tissue-thin depth is starting to factor in sooner than I thought it would. Like, who can they swap into the line-up that's actually going to make things better? As good as they are, Pettersson and Hughes can't make it happen all on their own.

Funny, seems like we've had a red-hot start every year under Benning, but then again more often than not we miss the playoffs despite that hot start.

The drawn out schedule and playing every team in the league twice mean we can catch teams by surprise in normal years. This year there's a condensed schedule which probably means just as many if not more injuries. And the Northern Division teams will be very familiar with our game. Not looking like a great recipe for success so far.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Is it just me or has Myers lost a step this year, he seems to be laboring around out there. He trained with Virtanen... hm but seriously. He hasn't looked as mobile as usual. Perhaps he needs some more games

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Most disappointing performances today:

Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Hoglander.

That was one of the most atrocious, most static, horrible, predictable 5-on-3 PP's I've ever seen.
That execution looked like something a group of bantams would do.
I couldn't believe what j was watching... I screamed MOVE AROUND! half way through it... And I'm not that type of guy.
Such pain to see those guys play like that. Couldn't believe it.

5-on-4's were also predictable and completely ineffective.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I dont really get mad anymore.

Once Gudbranson was gone I've felt fine watching the games.

I do feel disappointed they refused to move on from Virtanen when he still had value as a early 1st rounder.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
I dont really get mad anymore.

Once Gudbranson was gone I've felt fine watching the games.

I do feel disappointed they refused to move on from Virtanen when he still had value as a early 1st rounder.

He still has value. They could have easily traded him for something this recent off season and kept toffoli. His speed and size is still attractive to teams, he still put up 18g and doesn't cost that much. Hes a tradeable asset, even to this day

Reactions: Ginger Papa

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He still has value. They could have easily traded him for something this recent off season and kept toffoli. His speed and size is still attractive to teams, he still put up 18g and doesn't cost that much. Hes a tradeable asset, even to this day

Oh he is tradeable for sure.

But I doubt there are many GMs who expect him to develop in to a top6er anymore. And the return should reflect that.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Oh he is tradeable for sure.

But I doubt there are many GMs who expect him to develop in to a top6er anymore. And the return should reflect that.

At the time his value to us fans was more obvious, his value now isn't that far off from that now, it may have even increased since then. Currently, other teams know his floor is a fast heavy player who can pop in 18g in limited minutes with some upside still.

With that said, actively shopping him would decrease his stock though. I think if Benning played his cards right and simply started calling teams about trades about the time he's doing well and waited for them to mention his name, he could get a pretty good piece with upside.

Basically, I think now is as good time as ever to trade him, assuming he gets going here soon and has a little streak. But then people go back to thinking something might have clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad