Post-Game Talk: GM 3 | Flames def. Canucks - 3-0 - (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Much better showing tonight. Petey hasn't found second gear yet and our powerplay isn't going to continue to be held scoreless - especially once Miller returns as there is just too much skill there.

Calgary is looking like they are going to be a tough out every night thanks to their D with Tanev and Marky now

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
One of the biggest disappointments is that Myers isn't playing like a puck-moving defenceman OR a semi-competent defensive defenceman. I'm not even going to comment on how he doesn't play like a 6'3 hockey player (yes I know his actual height).

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Not only was it a fluke that we got Schmidt, it was an even bigger fluke that he's an all-around defenceman who can play anywhere they put him. They've claimed almost every defenceman they've brought in during Benning's tenure is that kind of player, and none of them were.

Reactions: timw33 and B-rock

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Much better showing tonight. Petey hasn't found second gear yet and our powerplay isn't going to continue to be held scoreless - especially once Miller returns as there is just too much skill there.

Calgary is looking like they are going to be a tough out every night thanks to their D and Marky.
lmao what

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One player does not make a team, but they are going to have to hold on , and keep it respectable until Millers back.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Not a fun game to watch.

We're really missing Miller. He's pretty much the engine for that Brock and EP line.

Seeing Markstrom and Tanev out there for the enemy sucked. I wish them the best individually, but we have eight more games against them and that just sucks, man.

Reactions: I am toxic

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
A few more games like this and I might start to think the boys are playing to get people fired. Watching Motte get double shifted and put on the PP must be a bit discouraging

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I haven't been paying much attention to 2021 draft rankings, but after the last two games, I'm going to start studying them a lot more.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Goaltending didn't lose this game for the Canucks but goaltending for Calgary sure helped them win it. Overall a poor effort by many this team has to depend on.

Good

Hughes - far from perfect but had some jump and provided some offensive presence throughout the game. Missing Tanev big time and trying to figure how to get by without him.

Hoglander - again the best forward. One creating the best chances. Thought he was also good defensively through the neutral zone.

Bad

Myers - had a few good shifts late but again Lurch-like around his net. Sliding on his belly out of the play or doing pirouettes trying to regain balance and mostly looking erratic. Moreover, fumbling with the puck too much and thus missing the chance to take advantages of situations.

Gaudette - very much doubt this player is NHL caliber. Gets by at times but absolutely no control in his play. Just rushing around chasing the play. So rarely has the puck on his stick and can do nothing in the way of good puck movement when he does occasionally have the puck. Can shoot the puck but that's about it.

Beagle - 3 games in four nights too much for Beagle. Poor on the PK which is about all he can provide for the team.

Virtanen - look like he had a little zip early but that quickly dissipated and back to being baggage. Easily moved off the puck and could do nothing when given an opportunity to create offense.

Motte - too many bad penalties that did much to lead to the loss. Trying to do too much and sometimes played in positions beyond his capabilities.

Hamonic - best game so far bur still not good enough. Lost too many battles around his nets. Also screening the goalie by getting in passing lanes and then not blocking the puck. Had to at least try to block the shot on the third goal but just moved out of the shot lane at the last minute.

Edler - games came too close together for the elder Edler to have any gas. Getting obvious he doesn't have the speed to join the offense in any meaningful way.

Pettersson - handled easily all game and helped make a mess of the PP. Needs to forget about achieving celeb status and focus on his game. Terrible start to the season.

Roussel - ran around a bit but accomplished nothing.

Others

MaEwen - does not look like an NHL player. Lots of hack and whack. However, did get some offensive chances which is more than some did

Joulevi - could say he got by. Still think his skating is a big issue. Often can't get around fast enough to get free from pressure and make better plays.

At this point you have to think this is fine mess that Jimbo has gotten us into. After 6 years the team still looks like a bottom feeder. He has had time to put together something better than this. But Benning gets a free pass from many no matter how awful he does. However, all those short term, stop gap moves have ruined much chance to even look to the future with much hope. Great fear now is that he will likely made another huge mis-step (likely trading next years first rounder for some aging vet to plug the hole in the dyke ) to save his ass. You can say what you want about 'ole Elmer' but he has been pretty good at surviving.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:popcorn:

This game would have been 7-0 if the nets were 2 inches wider.

Everything about this feels like 2007-08. Bad management killing the momentum of a team after the players had a great season the year before.

Hopefully people are starting to realize how good Tanev was for us. What a warrior and what a shame he won’t be a career Canuck.

Tyler Motte on the PP is a fireable offence.

Team needs to jettison garbage like Juolevi and Sutter and hope guys like Rathbone/Michaelis/Bailey can give this team a spark. Because what this team needs is a spark. They look dead.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What I liked so far in the Three games -

1 - Holtby has been very good, steady and reliable. Very confident with him moving forward. (Demko has been pretty good also, tough to judge vs Mcdavid)
2 - Hoglander has probably been our best winger so far this year, Quite a revelation, seems confident with the puck. Would like to see him be a big quicker with his awareness when he has it tho.
3 - Horvat has been pretty much as good as last year, Solid on Defensive assignments, dominating in the faceoffs, and put in some offense.
4 - Nate Schmidt has been pretty good, Like his skating ability, and his passing.
5 - Quinn Hughes has been alright, Some mistakes defensively, but has looked pretty dangerous in the offensive zone, will get better.

What I disliked so far in the Three Games

1 - The extremely obvious lack of any sort of Depth. Both in the top end, and the bottom end of the lineups.
2 - Our Static Power-play, that focuses on Pass first mentality.
3 - Our top end players not performing well. Need to see more from EP40.
4 - Our team defense has been pretty poor overall, need to get much more steady.
5 - The lack of any grit what so ever. We had 8 hits after 2 periods tonight.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
10I5vZL.png

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I would love to see them just load up with young guys and just roll the dice this year. But that's not going to happen because they're trying to replicate last season.

Also, what young guys? Pod can't come for awhile. The biggest indictment is that you have Rathbone who is an unknown quantity, and then pretty nobody behind him who isn't basically wishful thinking.

Reactions: Mr4legs and B-rock

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not only was it a fluke that we got Schmidt, it was an even bigger fluke that he's an all-around defenceman who can play anywhere they put him. They've claimed almost every defenceman they've brought in during Benning's tenure is that kind of player, and none of them were.
To be fair, I think NoGoodBranson was equally the same in all areas (defense/offense/etc.,). Equally bad/awful.

Thank jeebus that Rutherford suffers from dementia & took that piece of **** off our hands.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
@mossey3535 , I’ve Pasted you’re post from the end of the previous thread for those who might have missed it. I thought it was very well done. If you would prefer to re-post it yourself I’ll edit this post to remove your quote, which is as follows:

“Before I continue, again IMO this is an exhibition game. Hopefully things will get better. But I don't expect issues that are "same old..." to get better. Why would they when the players we're talking about continue to age? Unfortunately I see a lot of the same old problems coming up with the same old players.

I think the real issue is that Calgary also had exhibition game awkwardness and didn't put in a consistent effort and still out-battled the Canucks. By a lot. That's not a new problem either.

Our D is Quinn Hughes and Schmidt paired with whatever boat anchor we have available. It's just a defence without any vision behind it, and it has been that way for awhile. At least before Tanev and Edler were constants. But Edler is simply getting too old now. Myers, again, looks like a bottom-3 d-man. They keep plugging in guys without wondering if they fit with the rest of the players. That works with Hughes, but hardly anyone else. There's really no solution to this problem that shouldn't have begun 2-3 seasons ago. Rathbone sounds good but we haven't seen him at all. I guess we'll get to see him soon though.

The construction of the team is super fragile. EP hasn't been good so far. But if you have depth you can cover up for some of your top guys having a bad stretch of games. We don't have depth. Also, any line without QH pair on the ice has to work harder because they aren't getting clean feeds from the back end. Because we get hemmed in, our good players end up defending their whole shift. Then we take tons of penalties and those good players get even less time. This paragraph was meant to talk about the forwards but it's impossible to separate them from the D because, well, it's a team game.

Pearson had one really good game and now is back to being invisible. This is pretty much par for the course for him. He isn't a consistent driver of play. At least Horvat has Hoglander now but Hogs is still a rookie. Horvat himself has been up and down.

The bottom-6 hasn't changed. It's full of old, slow players who may or may not put in an effort. I think Gaudette tries but he's the only person with skill in the whole group. And the group doesn't offset their lack of skill with consistent hustle. You get sweatiness from McEwan and Motte but that's about it.

Last season I kept saying our PK wasn't that good, and by the end of the season the stats proved me right. It looks the same this season except we won't have that red-hot streak at the beginning of the season to prop up the stats. This is on Green IMO.

Again we're traditionally an injury-riddled team, and with the age of half of the roster I don't see that changing with a condensed schedule. We can't afford to lose anyone anywhere...even the players who have consistently played poorly for streaks that have lasted for 2-3 seasons now.

Might be a long season. I wish we were in the same situation but with a ton of young kids on the roster. At least then I would have some hope that they would grow into important roles on the team. But instead half of our roster are barely animated corpses. Also, I don't see a ton of help coming that won't need 1-2 seasons to acclimate.”

I have a question for you @mossey3535 ,

One thing that Calgary has had more of than our Boys have is practice (including the cancellation)

It’s going to be Feb 9th or 10th? before the Canucks can have an on ice practice I’m guessing. I believe it as really important & think it’s part of the issue we’re seeing.

My question: Do you think they are able to fit on ice practice in otherwise?

Thank you in advance
10B17F0F-C933-4D24-AD93-CB02E38B3D13.gif

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Trivia: Soviet tanks were actually WAY ahead of their times at the start of WWII. The T-34 tank was THAT good. If not for Stalin's purging of the officer ranks, Germany would've had an extremely tough time in Russia at the start (they found out quick the Panzer's were pretty substandard). So inferior, if the French had listened to Charles de Gaulle, the French tanks could've wrecked havoc on the Panzer II's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad