Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Change.png
Hope.png

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Dont think they deserved to get booed.
Good filters on the broadcast, can't hardly hear any boo's at all, just really loud cheers
Im not denying that.

This game vs Minny was one of their best performances. They just didn't put the puck in the net.
What no 2 goals on 3 shots?
This is just who this team is, they always seem to lay an egg anytime they have a chance to put something together.

Nowhere enough consistency and professionalism from the top players (despite their talent) to be anything more than roughly .500
Lots of professionalism demonstrated, they played and got paid, there is nothing that says they are paid to win, just entertain.
JT’s “shit happens” quote needed clarification

What he meant to say is “shit happens every time I am on the ice but I don’t care, I am getting paid”
It means "oh well it is only one game"

Everything was in their favour.
Except this Minny is a 14 to 20 level team, a tier higher.

The room is fractured, the players say the canned answers except Miller who is great for saying what he actually feels or maybe what several players feel.

The players get to think about this one for a few days but then next few games are against Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams, so higher competition yet. They won't lose them all but they won't win enough to get to a WC spot but enough to insure they are out of the top 5 draft picks this year.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The score flattered the home team..could have easily been a 5-0 game.

The 1st period was rife with odd man rushes/ blown defensive assignments (and no, it wasnt all on the D men),... and if not for some outstanding saves by Martin, the damage could have been much worse.

Outshot 13-4.

There was pushback in the 2nd,but the die had already been set..It was a listless effort from the Canucks (on home ice)..The Wild were hungry for the win, the Canucks were apathetic about it.

If I was Boudreau, I'd have the entire team on the ice bright and early this morning (no pucks), and give them a well deserved bag skate.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

I know we don’t play til mid week but WTF is Bruce doing putting Miller back in the middle and with the defense

It only makes sense if he’s scratching the Stillman Myers pairing

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I know we don’t play til mid week but WTF is Bruce doing putting Miller back in the middle and with the defense

It only makes sense if he’s scratching the Stillman Myers pairing

We may even see an Ethan Bear healthy scratch next game..?

Looks like the coaches are not impressed.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Remember when Hughes actually accomplished something 5v5. His shot is a joke and he's become too passive taking open ice instead of challenging the inside.

In fact the top paid players on this team are so incredibly flawed

1 - Miller - Moody, inconsistent gives up on plays and shifts and so many low percentage plays for turnovers. Contract looks like a massive legacy deal right now and has been a defensive liability this year which just adds a massive gut punch to rewarding this soon to be 30yr old with 7yrs
2 - Hughes - NO shot NO inside play Not good defensively. Has become a twirling figure skater with little substance other than walking the blueline on the PP and collecting assists. Not a lot of deception to his play these days which makes his passes and shots easy to predict. Wonderful talent but his stagnation and lack of urgency is disappointing.
3 - OEL - 2nd pair D being paid like a #1 who doesn't put much of a stamp in any particular way. Colossal waste of cap space going forward and doesn't exactly compliment the river boat gambling play of QH43
4 - Pettersson - Hard to find issue this year (after last years 1st half disaster). Is certainly our best player and has improved his consistency and strength. Has 2 way acumen which so many lack that make good money on this team. Is it too much to ask to have most of this top10 firing on all cylinders? Apparently so
5 - Boeser - Lumbering shooter who's lost his shot. This guy shows up half the time at best and even when he's on his skating and defensive effort/awareness is bad. Does anyone tip toe through the schedule more idk seems more interested in da Beauty league or golfing than being a difference maker. His play this year after the org gave him a 2nd chance given tough circumstances is yet another gut punch
6 - Myers - It's honestly laughable that he's paid in this category. Nice human being but a incredibly flawed defensive player who now provides almost NO offense or plus play in any sort. Him being gone probably wouldn't move the needle at all and probably would be a positive with Bear here now to say nothing of cap hit.
7 - Horvat - has had the typical contract year effort for screwing the cap allocation for this team. Not a gifted skater probably a C or C- defensive player and pretty average playmaker. Guy is a 2C who should be around 7 million tops but now were hearing 8s and 9s being thrown around which will just get ugly going forward. Not a great situation, Career wasting away without anything to hang his hat on. Not an emotional leader at all which is tough given the need for someone to drag this soft group into the fight
8 - Demko - Was trending amazingly last year. This year might as well be Arturs Silovs. Complete disaster. Assume he will bounce back but wow didnt see this coming 3-10-3 .883 brutal
9 - Garland - I dont get it with this guy. No PP presence, can't score in a top6 role. Gets blown off pucks but is a good 5v5 producer who gives a honest effort most nights. Issue being he's paid like a top6 has a muffin shot hogs the puck and not only doesn't play a role he doesn't fit the needs of the forward group. Would have moved him last year. Another Benning pro scouting disaster........der um he gets us 50pts type logic. Could get the same with a FA like Tatar. Diminutive wingers that are not top line scorers are not worth much if anything.
10 - Michayev - like EP40 seems like one of the few that earns his dough even though it's a steep price for a guy that has flaws as a scorer he's had a good start no complaints from me other than his hands and effort at times leaves a bit to be desired

I'm sure most teams fans can find flaws in the top10 paid players but ours has been really poor bang for the bucks given were capped out and can't make playoffs. Paying for stats on a losing franchise Oilers circa 2015 by the looks of it. No McDavid and Draisaitl coming instead Hughes/Nurse and Miller and OEL to supplement Hall/Horvat RNH/EP40 and Eberle/Boeser.

Depressing

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless
Remember when Hughes actually accomplished something 5v5. His shot is a joke and he's become too passive taking open ice instead of challenging the inside.

In fact the top paid players on this team are so incredibly flawed

1 - Miller - Moody, inconsistent gives up on plays and shifts and so many low percentage plays for turnovers. Contract looks like a massive legacy deal right now and has been a defensive liability this year which just adds a massive gut punch to rewarding this soon to be 30yr old with 7yrs
2 - Hughes - NO shot NO inside play Not good defensively. Has become a twirling figure skater with little substance other than walking the blueline on the PP and collecting assists. Not a lot of deception to his play these days which makes his passes and shots easy to predict. Wonderful talent but his stagnation and lack of urgency is disappointing.
3 - OEL - 2nd pair D being paid like a #1 who doesn't put much of a stamp in any particular way. Colossal waste of cap space going forward and doesn't exactly compliment the river boat gambling play of QH43
4 - Pettersson - Hard to find issue this year (after last years 1st half disaster). Is certainly our best player and has improved his consistency and strength. Has 2 way acumen which so many lack that make good money on this team. Is it too much to ask to have most of this top10 firing on all cylinders? Apparently so
5 - Boeser - Lumbering shooter who's lost his shot. This guy shows up half the time at best and even when he's on his skating and defensive effort/awareness is bad. Does anyone tip toe through the schedule more idk seems more interested in da Beauty league or golfing than being a difference maker. His play this year after the org gave him a 2nd chance given tough circumstances is yet another gut punch
6 - Myers - It's honestly laughable that he's paid in this category. Nice human being but a incredibly flawed defensive player who now provides almost NO offense or plus play in any sort. Him being gone probably wouldn't move the needle at all and probably would be a positive with Bear here now to say nothing of cap hit.
7 - Horvat - has had the typical contract year effort for screwing the cap allocation for this team. Not a gifted skater probably a C or C- defensive player and pretty average playmaker. Guy is a 2C who should be around 7 million tops but now were hearing 8s and 9s being thrown around which will just get ugly going forward. Not a great situation, Career wasting away without anything to hang his hat on. Not an emotional leader at all which is tough given the need for someone to drag this soft group into the fight
8 - Demko - Was trending amazingly last year. This year might as well be Arturs Silovs. Complete disaster. Assume he will bounce back but wow didnt see this coming 3-10-3 .883 brutal
9 - Garland - I dont get it with this guy. No PP presence, can't score in a top6 role. Gets blown off pucks but is a good 5v5 producer who gives a honest effort most nights. Issue being he's paid like a top6 has a muffin shot hogs the puck and not only doesn't play a role he doesn't fit the needs of the forward group. Would have moved him last year. Another Benning pro scouting disaster........der um he gets us 50pts type logic. Could get the same with a FA like Tatar. Diminutive wingers that are not top line scorers are not worth much if anything.
10 - Michayev - like EP40 seems like one of the few that earns his dough even though it's a steep price for a guy that has flaws as a scorer he's had a good start no complaints from me other than his hands and effort at times leaves a bit to be desired

I'm sure most teams fans can find flaws in the top10 paid players but ours has been really poor bang for the bucks given were capped out and can't make playoffs. Paying for stats on a losing franchise Oilers circa 2015 by the looks of it. No McDavid and Draisaitl coming instead Hughes/Nurse and Miller and OEL to supplement Hall/Horvat RNH/EP40 and Eberle/Boeser.

Depressing
Regardless of the 'grades' for most of the Cancucks players, and it's hard to disagree with any of them, this team needs a shakeup. It's playing most nights like it expects something 'big' to happen.

The most important moves now won't come by juggling the lineup.......it's over to management to pull the trigger on something big.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Next season, Miller will win the rocket, Hughes the Norris, and Demmer a runner up for the Vez

Bo and EP will combine for like 20 goals

Reverse that the following year. A core in their 20's, and half are doomed to suck each year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That Miller turnover is a cardinal sin of Hockey.
every canuck player is stationary
you can make a cross ice pass if it going towards the net
but my god
such a terrible decision

It's the equivalent to a d-man chasing a guy behind the net.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Those contracts for OEL and Miller are going to cripple this franchise for years.....and Miller's contract doesn't even kick in until next season. Can you imagine what these guys are going to be like in two or three seasons?

The first period might have been OEL's worst of the season, and that's a low bar. Three soft turnovers that I counted, and another example where the guy loses containment on a winger along the wall....led directly to the first powerplay goal. And of course Miller with another high-danger pass that leads directly to a shorty against.

I mean these are 30-plus year old veteran guys. It's not as if they're going to get any better. I can see eventual buy-outs for both, or maybe OEL playing out his contract in the minors like Wade Redden. They'll make Louie Eriksson's contract look like a bargain by comparison.
You know it's bad when you start pining for Loui.

Good filters on the broadcast, can't hardly hear any boo's at all, just really loud cheers

What no 2 goals on 3 shots?

Lots of professionalism demonstrated, they played and got paid, there is nothing that says they are paid to win, just entertain.

It means "oh well it is only one game"

Everything was in their favour.
Except this Minny is a 14 to 20 level team, a tier higher.

The room is fractured, the players say the canned answers except Miller who is great for saying what he actually feels or maybe what several players feel.

The players get to think about this one for a few days but then next few games are against Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams, so higher competition yet. They won't lose them all but they won't win enough to get to a WC spot but enough to insure they are out of the top 5 draft picks this year.
The problem with Miller saying what he feels (and he doesn't a lot of the time, thankfully) is that when he does I usually think "why the f*** would you think/feel that?".

• Haha
Reactions: Zippgunn and me2

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
The score flattered the home team..could have easily been a 5-0 game.

The 1st period was rife with odd man rushes/ blown defensive assignments (and no, it wasnt all on the D men),... and if not for some outstanding saves by Martin, the damage could have been much worse.

Outshot 13-4.

There was pushback in the 2nd,but the die had already been set..It was a listless effort from the Canucks (on home ice)..The Wild were hungry for the win, the Canucks were apathetic about it.

If I was Boudreau, I'd have the entire team on the ice bright and early this morning (no pucks), and give them a well deserved bag skate.
Really brilliant coaching! You learn so much from those bag skates....or so Travis Green thought!

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
games since mtl have been empty. lower bowl and half of the middle bowls. plus last night as well. hit the owners where it hurts by not attending games.

Reactions: B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
They also gave up enough to lose the game and lose they did. Horrible first, good second, meh third…not playing 60 minutes after 3 days off is the definition of lack of effort.
My expectations are not much higher than this.

To me this was one of their 3 or 4 best games this year.

Reactions: theguardianII

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't even think Bear is that good. A bit of a pleasant surprise but not a huge difference maker despite his supposed darling underlying stats.

But how on earth can you demote Bear when Stillman exists?
He's not great but on this team "not great" makes you better than most....

I think he's a good third pairing D-man who can jump up into the top 4 during times of injury. Good value on that deal and while he's not a piece you build around you do get some peace of mind you have one of the minor boxes checked. And depending where this all goes you build up his value and have a shot at moving him at the deadline for something more if you choose to.

My expectations are not much higher than this.

To me this was one of their 3 or 4 best games this year.
You may be right. But let me also say "Yikes".....

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Really brilliant coaching! You learn so much from those bag skates....or so Travis Green thought!
Hearing today that Boudreau bag skated the team yesterday.

Well earned..If you’re not going to show up for the game…then you will show up for practice the next day whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Say more. Why would they want this?
Several reasons. Many are intertwined.
NHL reasons:
1. Nobody wants to pay someone more than they are worth
2. A player is only as good as his performance relative to his cap-hit
3. A team that is locked into multiple under-performing long-term contracts is demoralizing to a fanbase.
4. Demoralized fanbases can turn into indifferent non-fans.
5. Team turnover is severely restricted.
NHLPA reasons:
1. "You're telling me I can only make $xyz because this loser has already sucked up the cap space?"
2. "You're telling me I can only make $xyz because this loser has already sucked up the cap space?"
3."You're telling me I can only make $xyz because this loser has already sucked up the cap space?"
4. "Ill gladly take less than I'm worth because I want to be a part of something amazing."

IMO sign a contract at your own peril. Negotiate a number you can live up to or exceed. If you're a fraud you get dropped and someone else gets a shot. At the end of the day the same number of dollars are paid to players under the CBA. The difference is the players that got those dollars got them for performance.

edit: forgot to mention that this is about the NHL pursuing non-guaranteed contracts. Outside of injuries of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad