Post-Game Talk: [GM 28] Canucks lose to Wild | 0-3 | It Was Not a Good Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Nobody on this team plays with any malice, they bump, and they shove…but rare are the hits (other than Schenn and Burroughs) and nobody is a ”thorn”…what happened to the Nils Hoglander who was getting under peoples skin? This team could use a couple of assholes…when Bieksa, Kesler and Burrows were in the game, other teams were constantly chasing them around. Jarkko Ruutu? Raffi Torres? No jam whatsoever.
You'd be surprised how common this is throughout the league. It's not unique to the Canucks. I think it's a generational thing. The game isn't just changing. The people are.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
At best we would get a 4th or 5th rounder for Miller and his contract

At best

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The Montreal game I started to watch and we were losing 4-0 when I went to bed. Have I seen us score a single goal all year? Possible.

Hehe that was quite amazing.

But it was amazing for a reason, the same reason a flight attendant survived falling 20000 feet to the ground - it can happen, but you're screwed if that's all you're counting on.

Sadly that seems to be the mentality of this team's operations since JEB took over.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think shaw made some decent improvements in his single season with Vancouver

Even strength defensive efficiency
20/21 = 30th
21/22 = 15th (shaw)
22/23 = 29th

Even philly's defensive efficiency has increased from last season
Does this include low injury rate, OEL/Myers being relatively not terrible, and Demko bring himself?

Not disputing, just asking for context.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Does this include low injury rate, OEL/Myers being relatively not terrible, and Demko bring himself?

Not disputing, just asking for context.

I mean Demko had some of the best if not the best even strength numbers last season
i'm just saying we are back to travis green hockey

under travis green we were dead last in the league 3 of his seasons in odd man rushes.
we are back to a bottom 3 team in odd man rushes against.

we just saw improvement under shaw at even strength........ definitely not on the PK

I think Hughes looks terrible this season
last year I thought he was exactly what you expect out of him and he was great last year

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Time to move on from this entire coaching staff

- no structure
- countless blown leads
- many zero effort nights
- crap pp
- crap pk
- crap d
- zero accountability on this team
- moronic lineup decisions

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Very flat performance. Not ready at all at the beginning and lucky the game wasn't out of reach very early. Made a push in the second but execution was poor, especially on the PP. Team play was disjointed throughout and defensive lapses were frequent and often grievous. Overall there has been a lack of cohesion all year. Sometimes they get enough good play out of individuals to get by, but doubtful they can ever get on a steady run b/c of the general disorganization.

Obviously one of their poorest efforts of the year and, given the schedule situation, a game where excuses weren't there. Time for management to have a hard look at the situation. Hopefully they have the guts and the smarts to look to the future and stop beating their heads against a wall trying to tweak the present roster

Good

Martin - might dispute this if you look at the whole game but he gave the team a chance to come back. Was outstanding in the first.

Bad

Myers - so out of position so often. Stalled out and watched the play at times. His movement off the puck was awful. Wasn't putting himself in position to receive passes and quickly move the puck. Passes often wrong footed other players. Slow to react and behind the play around his net. A must trade heading into the rest of the season.

Stillman - gets in a fight , loses it and suddenly he's playing well??? Fit someone's narrative (bring life to the Canucks) but actually did nothing of the sort. Instead was continually forced into defensive mistakes. How long are the team going to beat this dead horse. Guy is not NHL standard in any aspect of his play. Get him down to the AHL

Horvat - back to lugging around. Has been trending off for the last few games and tonight he was baggage. When his skating like he was tonight (which is far too often) he can't get any separation to make a play. First step is terrible. Canucks should be looking to trade him in the near term. Good chance his play falls off and his value decreases.

Miller - terrible. Not getting there till they got into garbage time and schedule began to catch up with MInny. Made some of his trade mark blind and forced passes which greatly contributed to the loss. Looks slow and old and sometimes pathetic. Re-signing now looks a move that will hurt for years.

Maybe some of the trade talk and other talk about who stays, who goes, is getting to the players. This did not look like committed effort. Not all players are heading in the same direction and there is something not right with the fabric of this team.
This is a good point. Management really needs to step up here and take a little focus off the team on the ice by actually doing something here. Act on the shit you're clearly leaking.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
PA needs to go, he is inexperienced and incompetent…. Exhibit A , signs Miller long term after passing up great trade offers. Exhibit B, gives away a 2nd to Chicago for a garbage player in Stillman

Rutherford needs to retire and look into assisted living homes. He is way past his best before date

Miller is in complete denial and takes zero accountability for his garbage play and effort

He has his contract and does not care one bit about his play

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
PA needs to go, he is inexperienced and incompetent…. Exhibit A , signs Miller long term after passing up great trade offers. Exhibit B, gives away a 2nd to Chicago for a garbage player in Stillman

Rutherford needs to retire and look into assisted living homes. He is way past his best before date

tumblr_lnydmtnbTt1qbp9j8o1_400.gif

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Future considerations at best.

We may very well need to retain cap and add picks/prospects. No joke.
Retaining cap is ridiculous to me. I agree picks will most definitely be needed. The quality of picks depends on the timing. Let’s hope JR uses his experience to his advantage here

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Those contracts for OEL and Miller are going to cripple this franchise for years.....and Miller's contract doesn't even kick in until next season. Can you imagine what these guys are going to be like in two or three seasons?

The first period might have been OEL's worst of the season, and that's a low bar. Three soft turnovers that I counted, and another example where the guy loses containment on a winger along the wall....led directly to the first powerplay goal. And of course Miller with another high-danger pass that leads directly to a shorty against.

I mean these are 30-plus year old veteran guys. It's not as if they're going to get any better. I can see eventual buy-outs for both, or maybe OEL playing out his contract in the minors like Wade Redden. They'll make Louie Eriksson's contract look like a bargain by comparison.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I picked a good night to not watch the game and spend it out at dinner instead

Anyone have a TLDR of what happened?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
How funny is this management?

Have a player playing to their absolute peek and then you resign them because they're so good only to see their play head down the toilet in the first year of the contract.

Hang onto players until their value is completely cratered and then try and trade them.

I really feel like their stupid is contagious. For a while there I was actually thinking they would act on their evaluation of the team.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I picked a good night to not watch the game and spend it out at dinner instead

Anyone have a TLDR of what happened?

Canucks barely played in the 1st. About 4 shots on net. Martin was great but they were down 0-1 after a late PP goal against. Much better in the 2nd but Miller makes a terrible pass on a PP and now it’s 0-2. 3rd was okay but not enough push or high danger chances. Minnesota scores to make it 0-3. Boudreau didn’t even bother pulling Martin for the extra attacker because he didn’t believe they would score.

Reactions: wonton15

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
And now they don’t play until Wednesday. Let’s heat up that trade rumour hot stove to keep us entertained!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad