Post-Game Talk: GM 25: 'Nucks 4 @ Caps 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Didn't Juice start the year off playing through an injury? That might still be nagging him but it makes you wish they didn't try and play through those things sometimes if so...

This is an excuse that fans make for him every single year.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
It might be time to swap the third and fourth line's ice time.

I said this about a week and a half ago. Matthias is good at what he does, but Richardson is lost in the offensive zone, and Vey just doesn't know how to ccompliment anybody's game - he's never open for a pass.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
They're approaching 20 min all I am saying is drop it to 16 and a half and our team will look way better, I am tired of Horvat at less than 10 min

Willie has made it clear some games they will be above 18 (games where we get 4 PP's or OT you can expect the minutes to be up) and some games they will be below 18. I believe he just commented on this a few games ago.

So far that is exactly what happened. Friday in the columbus game they were both under 18. Its not going to be a steady number every night, it will vary game to game based on how things go.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Bolts fan here.

Canucks are my second favourite team :nod:

Lightning 1st overall and Canucks only 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Good times !!! :handclap:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I said this about a week and a half ago. Matthias is good at what he does, but Richardson is lost in the offensive zone, and Vey just doesn't know how to ccompliment anybody's game - he's never open for a pass.

It's sad, but Richie has fallen off after a nice start

Bolts fan here.

You guys have a RIDICULOUS team. So deep and talented.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Ugly win. Bailed out by the PP, which I guess was overdue to do something. First period was pretty solid, then very sloppy the rest of the way.

- Miller wasn't great, made a mistake on the 3-2 goal at then an ill-advised pokecheck on the 3-3 goal. Another game where he's bailed out by the offence for the win.

- Tanev-Edler pairing is carrying the team right now. Tanev devoured Ovechkin tonight for the 2nd time this year and was probably the best player on the ice. Edler very good as well.

- 2nd pairing was terrible, by contrast. Somehow didn't get scored on but were a gong show for the last 40 minutes. 2nd straight poor game after a good run following the Hamhuis injury. Bieksa was in Klassic Kasual Kev mode something fierce, painful to watch.

- 3rd pairing didn't play much with the Stanton injury but were solid enough.

- great PP game for the Sedins. Needed a big game, good to see. Hopefully that shot is a confidence-builder for Daniel.

- Bonino line was very quiet, not their best effort. Towering shift in the last minute for Burrows, though, who is re-establishing himself as the best defensive winger in the NHL.

- 3rd line struggled. Matthias had some moments but also a poor turnover on the 1-1 goal. Vey poor again after his good game in Detroit.

- 4th line were very good, especially early in the game. Could be played more.

On to Pittsburgh. Will be very interesting to see who starts in net.

They were on for that awful 4 on 4 shift and Bieksa got walked by Laich who promptly roofed it over Miller to tie it at 3-3.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Bolts fan here.

Happy for you, Bolts should do well in the East this year after their offseason moves. Will Drouin stick with the team?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
It's sad, but Richie has fallen off after a nice start

He can't maintain offensive pressure. He really can't pass, but it doesn't help that the wingers on that line always play perimeter games (unless Matthias is driving the net, but he only does it when he has the puck). Richardson needs to stop wasting opportunities by putting the puck behind the net all the time.

He's fine defensively, which is why I'd rather he plays 4th line minutes (9-12 range), rather than ~14.

Over the course of Horvat's time with this team, he has outplayed Richardson handily. If you ask me, Richardson and Vey or on a similar lever, with nearly polar opposite strengths and weaknesses.

Just be glad Horvat has been as good as he has been, or else we would be stuck with Vey and Richardson as the bottom 6 centers, rather than one at a time :help:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Basically game won on the PP. Canucks do a ton better if the other team doesn't pressure. Caps seemed to simply play a tight box which the Sedins mostly shredded.

Obviously the team defense is held together by Tanev and Edler. Way they are playing makes them one of the best pairings we ever had. Tanev should be looking toward a big pay day.

Not so down on Vey as some. Beginning of the season I saw little hope. Looked too weak and too slow to ever contribute. However, I see him beginning to raise his game. IMO showing enough speed to keep more consistently in the play. If you combine with his knack for producing points he may work out. He still has some issues in his own end but he is starting to show better understanding of his positioning and his responsibilities on defense. I think there is progress and that's critical in judging any rookie.

Thought Burrows had very good game in terms of forcing the play and working in his own end. Higgins seemed to be labouring however.

Miller was so so and needed to attack the puck more. Thought he played a little deep and gave up too much net.

Fourth line was good. Horvat had a couple of rough patches but is playing great given his limited experience and Dorsett and Hansen were again very good. I hope they leave these players together and let the line develop.

Sbisa looks to me to be at least a bona vide NHL defenseman and those aren't that easy to come by.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Just fire a ton of shots on Holtby... he has been prone to let the occasional softie through. The Nucks need to bang 30+ on net... if they can do that, should outlast a team that will certainly score on us.

They did what I asked and tossed 30+ on Holtby... Outlasted for a 4-3 win!

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Bolts fan here.

My pre-season prediction was Tampa for the Cup. I'm hoping that it doesn't bite me in the worst way possible. :(

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I really hope this is the game that Daniel turns it all around. Looked like vintage Dank for once in a longgggggg time.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I really hope this is the game that Daniel turns it all around. Looked like vintage Dank for once in a longgggggg time.

yes, its bound to happen, his shots aren't the weak wristers of the last two seasons and he's positionally in the right place to score this year. I believe its just bounces not going his way. Hopefully, this will turn him back into at least a 25 goal guy. 35 from Vrbata, 25 from him, 10-15 from Hank. and its first line gold.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver

Side note... I realized that Henrik will probably hang em' up when Daniel does even though Hank would probably have a couple extra years in him. I mean, they'll probably retire at the same time, right?

That thought made me feel cold inside.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Daniel will make up the difference in games played. In that time, he will also even up the amount of career points they have. Just for shirts and girgles.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Side note... I realized that Henrik will probably hang em' up when Daniel does even though Hank would probably have a couple extra years in him. I mean, they'll probably retire at the same time, right?

That thought made me feel cold inside.

They've said they wanna play together for MODO when they retire from the NHL, so they'll probably leave together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad