Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
large.png
@
large.png

(24GP 16-7-1 | 1st Pacific) (23GP 10-9-4 | 4th Metropolitan)

WHEN: Tuesday, December 2nd, 4:00PM PST
WHERE: Verizon Centre, Washington, D.C.
TV: Sportsnet Pacfic
RADIO: TSN 1040

Vancouver Canucks (unconfirmed)

QTCa383.jpg

DxF9AiC.gif
Tbs3Rxd.gif

Fqu64GX.gif
kQErxHq.gif
wv7Jhr5.gif

wxIwOzm.gif
d0GssZd.gif
l07c5ux.gif

JvLC25t.gif
d3KG8Ou.gif
dQjjSZh.gif

IkZ9XKf.jpg

bSRhjKL.gif
oH15yxi.gif

xLpPXqP.gif
xu62uhP.gif

CPVBwM8.gif
CU53h7a.gif

vOgevml.jpg

CH1suZw.gif
fPejkxm.gif

Pi7AmDN.jpg

8lZKgDw.gif
G0MrTBP.gif
9LzSNqn.gif
aARV593.gif
bZ4xv0e.gif

Washington Capitals:

TBA

Notes:

- As per Sportsnet, Kassian did not travel with the team after receiving a slash on the hand against New Jersey. Will miss 2-3 weeks with a forearm injury.
- Dan Hamhuis to miss 5-6 weeks with an LBI he sustained during the Ducks game.

Streams:

http://hockeyreality.com/stream.html
http://nutjob.net/hockey
http://www.ifeed2all.eu/type/ice-hockey.html
http://atdhe.ru/hockey
http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/29-NHL-Icehockey

Last edited by a moderator:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The good to take out of last night's game...

Vey breaking out for 3.

It's a great sign. Hopefully he continues to earn people's patience and reward us with more of these offensive outbursts...

It's a great luxury to have 3 pt nights coming out of the bottom of your roster... Vey, Horvat and Hansen... Dorsett with a few 2 pt nights as well along the way..

I didn't mind Miller last night as much as Henrik's complete brain fart on goal #1. Just not used to seeing that out of him. The Twins are due for joining the 3 pt club.... i don't think they've had one yet this season.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The good to take out of last night's game...

Vey breaking out for 3.

It's a great sign. Hopefully he continues to earn people's patience and reward us with more of these offensive outbursts...

It's a great luxury to have 3 pt nights coming out of the bottom of your roster... Vey, Horvat and Hansen... Dorsett with a few 2 pt nights as well along the way..

I didn't mind Miller last night as much as Henrik's complete brain fart on goal #1. Just not used to seeing that out of him. The Twins are due for joining the 3 pt club.... i don't think they've had one yet this season.

I like Vey a great deal in the offensive zone, especially when he's got time and space (special teams, primarily).

It's just that he's so...trying to think of a kind way to put it..."rough around the edges" in all other aspects of his game. He can be really detrimental out there sometimes. Hopefully this is something that he works on and is coached to over the season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If we can't beat the Caps I will be quite disappointed.

It would depend on how they lose..

For me "The Process" took a step back the last couple of games... our execution and puck mov't hasn't been good lately.

If they can step it back up, control the play more, get the better of the chances, and out work the Caps.. i will be happy... We will be rewarded eventually.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I like Vey a great deal in the offensive zone, especially when he's got time and space (special teams, primarily).

It's just that he's so...trying to think of a kind way to put it..."rough around the edges" in all other aspects of his game. He can be really detrimental out there sometimes. Hopefully this is something that he works on and is coached to over the season.

Yup...
He's an offensive prospect. He's not one of these 2-way prospects that'll tread water defensively while trying to figure it out offensively... He's the opposite, and people around here aren't used to having a prospect of this type on the club... His potential is in the offensive zone and will need to reply on his linemates for help on the other one.

he needs leeway to be rough around the edges in the other aspects so we can reap the points when he gets em.. like last night. Hence my line "earn people's patience".

This is a guy we need to swallow the bad to continue to develop the good... reminds me of early Mason Raymond a little bit doesn't he?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I wonder how this thread compares to 2007-2008 Mason Raymond thread....

Anyone remember the temperature of fans as he was breaking in?

In his 23 yr old season : 2008-09, 72gms 11g 12a 23pts

I just seem to remember general excitement about his development. I don't remember him being shredded as much as Vey.

The stark contrast is that Vey is a new acquisition... whereas Raymond was homegrown product that people had invested emotion on prior to that season...

But i really wonder how different fans are receiving Vey vs 08-09 Raymond (yr 1 of Gillis)...

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
The east is tough this year, we gotta play every game from now on with as much intensity as the detroit game minus the first period to have a good record on this road trip.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

I just seem to remember general excitement about his development. I don't remember him being shredded as much as Vey.

The stark contrast is that Vey is a new acquisition... whereas Raymond was homegrown product that people had invested emotion on prior to that season...

But i really wonder how different fans are receiving Vey vs 08-09 Raymond (yr 1 of Gillis)...

For me this feels different than Raymond, simply because of the fact he isn't homegrown. I just havent quite accepted him as readily as I would a Canuck developed guy. It will come though, I am sure.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Gotta be honest, I was hoping Vey would be scratched for Jensen vs DET. Obviously a good decision to leave him in, as far as losing efforts go. Even with the goals, I still didn't like that line though...don't think Matthias-Richardson-Vey did much--other than score a couple.

Would like to see a shuffle of the bottom 6, assuming no line up changes. I'd go with:
Matthias-Horvat-Hansen
Richardson-Vey-Dorsett

Not sure what to expect for the line up. Desjardin doesn't seem to believe in change for the sake of change...coming off a loss but felt the overall effort was solid. Sedins had a rough night, Bieksa had (another) rough night, Miller let in one or two I didn't like...some of this is the start time and vs a hot team on the road, so there's some lee way.

Interesting that Stanton only played 13:40. Maybe it's my man crush on Stanton influencing my viewing, but I thought he played well. Might be because we were behind, but I didn't see a reason to ride Edler 27+ minutes at the expense of Stanton. Could mean Corrado slots in possibly.

I'm no longer loving the SS Vrbata. More than a quarter through the schedule, and that line has been almost exclusively kept together. Teams are now just collapsing to the crease and taking away the cross ice tap in. Hard to mix up the top 6 though, so someone has to start getting to the net. Great on the fly (when they're on) and good at puck possession, but need to spend less time on the perimeter. Shuffling Vrbata and Burrows at some point might be worth trying...Vrbata would bring a new element to Bonino + Higgins.

Do want to see Jensen get in soon. Not sure who comes out though. Maybe Richardson at this point, if only to keep our top PP goal scorer in the line up. If/when Horvat becomes the go to defensive option, it suddenly makes Richardson's spot a bit precarious. Tough to play 3 rookie forwards, but when Kassian comes back it might be Richardson that takes a seat.

Need to get at least a loser point from WAS. Like to see Miller bounce back and get back to top form. Also beginning to go through Bonino snipe withdrawal. Not complaining about his play or production, just wanna see another sweet snipe from #13.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

I recall Raymond as being more defensively aware and engaged, and he had that blinding speed which Vey can't match. He was fun to watch, which really isn't Vey's selling point.

But Vey is putting up points at about twice Raymond's rate that season, and his .55 PPG is quite good for a 3rd line winger, no matter how he's actually scoring (mostly on the PP).

So there's a contrast in style and point production, as well as in how we got him. But I agree that he'd probably be somewhat more "loved" by posters if he were ours from the beginning.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I recall Raymond as being more defensively aware and engaged, and he had that blinding speed which Vey can't match. He was fun to watch, which really isn't Vey's selling point.

But Vey is putting up points at about twice Raymond's rate that season, and his .55 PPG is quite good for a 3rd line winger, no matter how he's actually scoring (mostly on the PP).

So there's a contrast in style and point production, as well as in how we got him. But I agree that he'd probably be somewhat more "loved" by posters if he were ours from the beginning.

Yeah not the best comparison, Vey has puck skills Raymond can only dream of, and vice versa with respect to skating skills.

Last paragraph is bang on though, I'm harder on him than I ought to be, because (through no fault of his own) we used the Garrison trade chip to acquire him.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Not really the same, it comes down to a matter of depth chart and where he fits on the team. If you look at the 09 team, once Sundin was added we had a set top six of Henrik/Daniel/Burrows/Sundin/Demtra/Kesler. In the bottom six Wellwod and Ryan Johnson held the center spots, with Steve Bernier, Pyatt, Raymond, and Hansen as wingers. After that it was goons for depth, guys like Hordichuk. Also consider that Sundin would be gone next season, and Demitra the one after, and there were a few open spots for a young guy to break in.

Vey on the other hand while nice to have it's kind of hard to see where he fits in. You picked Raymond as a home grown talent comparison, but you could also have gone with Schroeder or Grabner.

Vey is at the Michael Grabner stage and the risky part is we gave up what could have been a good defensive prospect for him. Where does he fit long term? Vey is a C/RW, but we have Henrik, Bonino, and now Horvat down the middle for the immdiate future, and Vrbata, Burrows, and Kassian on RW. Also on the farm is Jensen, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk who will be needing spot soon. It's smart to aquire players like Vey when you have roster spots open. When you have a crowd there then it becomes risky.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not really the same, it comes down to a matter of depth chart and where he fits on the team. If you look at the 09 team, once Sundin was added we had a set top six of Henrik/Daniel/Burrows/Sundin/Demtra/Kesler. In the bottom six Wellwod and Ryan Johnson held the center spots, with Steve Bernier, Pyatt, Raymond, and Hansen as wingers. After that it was goons for depth, guys like Hordichuk. Also consider that Sundin would be gone next season, and Demitra the one after, and there were a few open spots for a young guy to break in.

Vey on the other hand while nice to have it's kind of hard to see where he fits in. You picked Raymond as a home grown talent comparison, but you could also have gone with Schroeder or Grabner.

Vey is at the Michael Grabner stage and the risky part is we gave up what could have been a good defensive prospect for him. Where does he fit long term? Vey is a C/RW, but we have Henrik, Bonino, and now Horvat down the middle for the immdiate future, and Vrbata, Burrows, and Kassian on RW. Also on the farm is Jensen, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk who will be needing spot soon. It's smart to aquire players like Vey when you have roster spots open. When you have a crowd there then it becomes risky.

Grabner is an interesting comparison...
I think he was comfortably shipped out by Gillis as being a Nonis pick as he was trying to stamp him mark on the team making a splash for Ballard - which was an exciting pick up at the time.
Vey was brought in by this regime and i think an old regime piece moves before Vey is shipped.
Sort of a weird underlying dynamic you see with GM's.
You could see almost see Kassian be traded as this regime lies a final slap to the old regime's vision. (or Gaunce or jensen or Shinkaruk... before Vey)

But who cares about the future future!

Let's live in the here and now (and tomorrow night)..

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Canucks weren't great in the facoff dot yesterday that needs to be better for this game. I liked the third line so hopefully that stays intact also liked that they played til the end and never got down on themselves that's a sign of a good team.

They need to start with a good first period this game and go from there. :nod:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I think he was comfortably shipped out by Gillis as being a Nonis pick as he was trying to stamp him mark on the team making a splash for Ballard - which was an exciting pick up at the time.
Vey was brought in by this regime and i think an old regime piece moves before Vey is shipped.
Sort of a weird underlying dynamic you see with GM's.
You could see almost see Kassian be traded as this regime lies a final slap to the old regime's vision. (or Gaunce or jensen or Shinkaruk... before Vey)

But who cares about the future future!

Let's live in the here and now (and tomorrow night)..

Woah...good point. I don't like it.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think Gillis shipped him out figuring that since there was little chance AV was going to want him on the roster (given said player's rather indifferent play in pre-season/training camp - something which he clearly didn't get the "message" on the Panthers as well - Tallon chose freakin' Hordichuk over Grabner where the former wasn't even that great an "enforcer"), he might as well include him as part of a trade rather than lose him for nothing off of waivers.

Nonis, the GM who actually drafted (and no doubt extensively scouted him prior to selecting him) didn't put up much of a fight to the boss Burke to claim him for free off of waivers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad