Post-Game Talk: GM 25: 'Nucks 4 @ Caps 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

This:

is the first thing I thought of when I saw this:

It even made the same "CLINK" noise as it went in off the corner bar!

Is it wrong to say I thought of this before anything else?

It was such a pivotal moment in that game. It's not easy to forget that one. That was the most intense game of the 2011-12 season.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Hansen has been arguably the Canucks best even strength forward the last 6 games and he's getting 9 minutes to show for it. Meanwhile Vey and Richardson gets an extra 5 minutes on the ice. Can't help but consider that to be pretty poor asset management.

Yeah he should be getting more playing time as well. Richardson should be getting less IMO.

Alex Edler. Wow!
What happened from the last two years to this year. This guy has become an elite defenceman again.

He isn't as bad as he looked last year, but Tanev happened. Funny thing is some people saw that a pairing of him and Tanman might work out well according to the advanced stats.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So Daniel's shot...

We got Gretzky, Courtnell, and Hodgson comparisons......

How about Spezza from just Last Night as well?

Skip to 4:30 of the video

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
He isn't as bad as he looked last year, but Tanev happened. Funny thing is some people saw that a pairing of him and Tanman might work out well according to the advanced stats.

It was the opposite that was argued. Edler/Tanev had some poor results in their limited time together last season.

The turn around we've seen in Edler is far too great to attribute it to his partner. Edler is also playing just as well in his minutes without Tanev. He's even looked good while on the ice with Bieksa this season imo.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Curious if you guys have noticed the following:

It seems to me that the only times that the fourth lined gets hemmed in the D zone or has bad shift defensively is when they are back checking and the offensive team establishes control with Hansen pursuing deep and taking over the centre position with Bo taking over wing coverage.

I've noticed it quite a few times and it always seems to lead the fourth line running around and getting disorganized.

With no high level experience I would imagine it would be on Hansen to improve his coverage at Centre in those instances, or Bo needs to be back quicker.

Curious what you guys/gals think.

Cheers

Interesting! I haven't noticed it but will try and keep an eye out for this.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It was the opposite that was argued. Edler/Tanev had some poor results in their limited time together last season.

The turn around we've seen in Edler is far too great to attribute it to his partner. Edler is also playing just as well in his minutes without Tanev. He's even looked good while on the ice with Bieksa this season imo.

Was going to say the same thing.
Edler has, IMO, been our best defenceman. While he may have benefitted from playing with Tanev, Tanev benefits just as much from playing with Edler.

I wonder if Willie's up tempo style suits Edler better. Also I've really noticed how much better we exit the defensive zone.

But at the end of the day I think a lot of it boils down to confidence. Edler has his swagger back. I always feel confident when he's on the ice.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Tanev and Edler were 55% Corsi players when together last season. Their GF/GA was abysmal, but I don't think that's what vanuck was talking about.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Tanev and Edler were 55% Corsi players when together last season. Their GF/GA was abysmal, but I don't think that's what vanuck was talking about.

Yeah I was referring to their possession stats when paired together before this season. And don't get me wrong, I definitely don't attribute all of Edler's "turnaround" to Tanev - he's always been a good D-man in his own right and was due for a bounceback this year. Just that putting Tanev alongside him has made that stand out even more in terms of what we're subjectively seeing out there.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yeah I was referring to their possession stats when paired together before this season. And don't get me wrong, I definitely don't attribute all of Edler's "turnaround" to Tanev - he's always been a good D-man in his own right and was due for a bounceback this year. Just that putting Tanev alongside him has made that stand out even more in terms of what we're subjectively seeing out there.

Yeah, my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad