Post-Game Talk: [GM 24] Canucks lose to Panthers | 1-5 (Joshua)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
the whole league is setup like this. owners and broadcasters don't want teams being out of playoff contention in november so they use the cap, the schedule and the points system to keep teams 'close' when they are anything but

the canucks are 'only' 2 points back of the wildcard but they need to win 3+ games more than all of calgary, nashville and minnesota to actually pass them in the standings. realistically it will take a month before the canucks can catch up. even if they go like 2-6-2 in their next 10 they'll still be 'close' to the playoffs if you just look at points

Right, which is why I don’t look at pure points. I’ve posted the spreadsheet I keep updated on the Playoff Thread but the point is to see what the Canucks need to do to hit 95 points. Canucks remained afloat in November. I estimate that they need to go 8-4-1 in December.

2-6-2 would push them very far out but something like continuing to play .500 would artificially keep them in the race. It’s all a mirage and just wasting everyone’s time until January rolls around and the strength of schedule should murder them.

I’ll say, my actual feelings are that this team needs serious personnel changes and losses would encourage those changes either sooner or reinforce that they need to be made as the deadline approaches. I just don’t decry others enjoyment of a win or feel the need to shout about it on this forum. I will never cheer against the Canucks but I am pretty indifferent to the results.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I think they'll do much better tonight. That 1st home game back was not only embarrassing but kind of expected.
They're used to playing Tkachuk, but winning tonight depends a lot on Demko, especially if Stillman is back in.

Reactions: Bobby9 and Ozone

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Kind of a must win if playoffs are realistic. Overstating it a little bit, but need to keep sandwiching losses between multi game winning streaks.

I do wish we could have done Luongo night while his recapture was still on the books. Feels like a missed opportunity to celebrate Luongo's legacy holistically.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You dont expect a kid to just come in and push a hockey legend off the roster.
Another wasted pick by Ron Delorme! What's he doing in Sweden?

Gradin_Thomas-240px_X_240px.jpg

Gradin >>>>>> Naslund

Reactions: LordBacon

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I used to think that too but I no longer think he has the tools for that. Weak shot and his hockey IQ really isn’t as high as his fancy footwork and dangles make it look.

i hate watching him but i totally sympathize with garland

i started hockey a little later in my childhood so nothing came naturally to me. there was a couple years around peewee when i’d learned how to skate pretty fast and mastered stickhandling, but couldn do either with my head up yet. so on a good shift i could play keepaway for 10-20 seconds but never accomplish anything. all i could see was the guy in front of me i had to go around, but i couldn’t see where i needed to go or whom to advance the puck to.

but at least unlike garland when i stickhandled myself into a corner i had the good sense to dump it in, instead of spinning and spinning until someone took the puck away from me.

Reactions: canuckking1

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Kind of strange that the Canucks don’t have a spare forward. Sounded like Studnicka is close but hasn’t been practicing with the team. I get only running with 7 defensemen if Dermott is getting close.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
There's no f***ing way Stillman is back in. Jesus f***ing Christ Bruce, this isn't a god damn NHL player!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad