Post-Game Talk: GM 22: Stars def. Canucks - 6-1 (Horvat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Too bad they don't have the October schedule to get back on track because this "slide" could easily turn into something ugly as they play NSH/WSH/PHI/PIT/EDM to end the month. All on the road. In a 10 day span.
Yep..its going to be tough, and it will be challenging...However,look at the December schedule..mostly home games.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This. The unbelievable hatred for Eriksson here is ridiculous; guy is playing as little as 4 ES minutes a game and people are STILL blaming losses on him. Not that he's any good but still...
I noticed last game that Loui's skating seems really labored. He was really struggling to keep pace with the game. I think it may be time for Benning to make that AHL arrangement with Texas and move on.

Brother Loui's get up and go has done got up and left, it appears.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
The Canucks could trade every single pick outside of the first round, for a whole decade, and it would have zero impact on the team. None. Actually it would probably be positive, that many trades they probably end up with a few wins.

What I'm saying is, the drafting is compete trash.
Like Brock, Petey, and Quin. Completely useless players, don't you think?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This. The unbelievable hatred for Eriksson here is ridiculous; guy is playing as little as 4 ES minutes a game and people are STILL blaming losses on him. Not that he's any good but still...

Despite barely playing, he directly caused 2 goals last night through lazy play. Of course people are singling the worst player on the team out when that worst player is directly hurting us.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Despite barely playing, he directly caused 2 goals last night through lazy play. Of course people are singling the worst player on the team out when that worst player is directly hurting us.

Yup the first goal was from him failing to clear the puck properly. It just sets a bad precedent. You can be a terrible hockey player and still make the team. What ever happend to fighting for spots? The guy has 5 shots in 13 games.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Here's the thing JC.

You have got it completely ass backwards.

I respect the hell out of the Sedins.

The Sedins were the consummate hockey professionals that showed up to play hard and lead by example every single game.

Hank constantly talks about playing the "right way" which is certainly NOT the way that Brock (or Jake or Jared or Ben) had/has been playing.

So... if you're the captain, you kinda want everyone to listen to you right?

This is Henrik Sedin. Why wouldn't you listen to Hank?

Well... because ownership. Because of the lame duck imbeciles in our front office.

So... if nobody is listening to you and ownership isn't doing anything about it then... as the captain... what do you do?

You peace out.

At least.. that's what I would do.

this is nutty, and coming from me, says a lot. So before I break this down, let me confirm your message.

Hank Sedin "peaced out" because some players weren't listening to him (because of ownership) and not because his Hall of Fame 18 year career naturally came to an end.

So in the 18 years he was here (same ownership) every single player listened, but then the year before he retired , a few players stopped listening to him (because of lame duck ownership) and he decided to leave, even tho he didn't play anywhere else.

Have I got it?

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
The biggest mistake anyone can make is to look in mirror, and completely fail to see what everyone else is seeing.

Every season in Benning era follows the same 'Groundhog Day' schedule. Team is one of the most active in the off-season with trades and free agency, because they're convinced they're only a couple of players away. And so Jimbo either overpays or over-hypes them, or usually both. And mostly they flop.

Team roars out of the gate in October, which is really little more than a glorified exhibition schedule. Then in November the injuries hit; the lack of depth is exposed; and the team plummets like a rock. The dramatically overpaid 'depth' players that Jimbo signs for 'veteran leadership' don't score or provide much of any 'veteran leadership'.

And another season is derailed by a couple of 11-game winless skids--usually in November for some reason, and then another coming out of the All-Star break when the really good teams are gearing up for the stretch drive.

The only real reason to watch this team is the young players like Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson. But you can't expect players 23 or under to deliver you back to the promised land. They're just too easy to shut down by older, heavier teams with legitimate Cup aspirations.

Of course this didn't stop of the Aquilinis from handing out another three-year extension to Jimbo. But the quid-pro-quo is that it's little wonder that there's tickets available for most of the games now.
But then they play Colorado and I feel like none of those players measure up.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup the first goal was from him failing to clear the puck properly. It just sets a bad precedent. You can be a terrible hockey player and still make the team. What ever happend to fighting for spots? The guy has 5 shots in 13 games.

.... and also incredibly lazily drifting to the bench after the puck was turned over in the neutral zone. If he hustles to the bench, there's an extra forward closing on Benn so he doesn't have a day and a half to score there.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
this is nutty, and coming from me, says a lot. So before I break this down, let me confirm your message.

Hank Sedin "peaced out" because some players weren't listening to him (because of ownership) and not because his Hall of Fame 18 year career naturally came to an end.

So in the 18 years he was here (same ownership) every single player listened, but then the year before he retired , a few players stopped listening to him (because of lame duck ownership) and he decided to leave, even tho he didn't play anywhere else.

Have I got it?
Yeah actually you do.

He retired because the culture of responsibility and accountability that him and his brother, Hammer, Burr, Higgins, Hansen, Gillis and AV had established had dissolved into a steaming pile of diarrhea because of meddling owners.

During the Bo captain festivities early this year, the Canuck radio broadcast interviewed Hank and it's pretty damn obvious by his language that he wasn't happy whatsoever with how him and brother left the team.

So yep. Childish example aside, you got it!

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Fair enough but my logic behind Perry is that puts 2 slow wingers (especially so with Perry now) together when they can use Dowling who has been primarily an offensive player in a role he's suited for rather than a btm 6 one and ask him to be the defensively responsible one while Seguin adds some speed and threat on the wing? Anyway i just feel like they have a good balance going and prefer to keep the 2nd line and 4th line ticking while the 1st and 3rd have Caamano and Dowling filling in for Hintz and Janmark?? semantics but i can see the logic and obviously its working so?
Aaaaaaaaaand Dowling seguin benn perry combined for 9 pts lol....

Reactions: sting101

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
The Canucks could trade every single pick outside of the first round, for a whole decade, and it would have zero impact on the team. None. Actually it would probably be positive, that many trades they probably end up with a few wins.

What I'm saying is, the drafting is compete trash.

Other organizations don’t usually trade good young players for mid round draft picks so I don’t see that as any kind of way to build a quality team.
I think Bennings failed “age gap” experiment showed that fairly clearly.

Yeah,a lot of prospects fall by the wayside trying to become NHLers which is why you need volume when picking which we never had until last summer.

In Bennings tenure we now have Gaudette and Demko as NHL regulars and Woo,Madden,Tryamkin and Rathbone tracking well from picks outside the first round.This is despite several second and third round picks MIA,which is probably above average drafting all things considered.If we had kept all those mid-round picks,we would have much better depth in Van City and in Utica.

The drafting after the first round has been fine,it’s the lack of picks that have us in this current situation of not having anyone on the farm who can replace the 6 million dollar corpse of Loui Eriksson.

Last edited:

member 290103

I look at it as opportunity cost. Imagine what a non imbecile GM could do with that $6M.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018

Have I got it?
Also the players listen to some middle aged rich dude over the 18 year player/hart winner/art ross winner/numerous franchise record holder/future HOFer?

and he has 2 king clancy trophies, which doesn't count to all that much in terms of hockey but it's a pretty massive honor to him as a person.

Henrik Sedin took his team to game 7 of the cup finals. He won an olympic gold. He won a WC gold.

But he retired in disgust because the players wouldn't listen to him.

Also he must just hate the guy who paid him millions of dollars and let him and his brother spend his entire career together on the Canucks (as a beloved and long serving captain in Henrik's case).

Reactions: m9

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not to pile on you but the players on the bubble of your roster have to be the ones that bring the highest intensity in order to stay in it. No one expects Eriksson to have any positive influence on a win but when he impacts you negatively and also shows zero emotion and is last in pretty much every category including things like blocked shots and takeaways and hits its time to send him away.

Zack MacEwen might be a train wreck defensively in terms of awareness but i can almost guarentee you he will fight for survival in the NHL. He's fast has good hands is a big body that wont back down from anyone. Players are coming back soon but it's time to send a message now. This losing stretch is unacceptable even if you are the Ottawa Senators. For Green to keep rolling Eriksson out there is doing a disservice to the players on the ice that are trying to win.

Its excatly where a Coach should start to rattle cages and if that doesn't work it creeps up the ladder to players that have a bigger impact because by then its obvious they are not responding or working out. Constantly putting lines in a blender is not gonna work either

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
tbh no i don’t. he knows full well what happened to linden and it’s not like he doesn’t have a fine job as it is.

It would be very interesting to find out.

I guess with Ray being such a hockey guy it could go one of 2 ways.

1) Ray would jump at the chance to be GM of the canucks as all fans of hockey "know better" than their current GM's right?

2) Ray knows all about the pressures of being a GM in a market like Vancouver and his current job is pretty good as you mention.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
This is not "bad goaltending". We've had insane goaltending carrying us for a long time and right now Markstrom/Demko can't carry this trash roster every night. 6 goals is obviously not a good night for Markstrom, but these were some pretty prime scoring chances and he made some quality saves. If Markstrom was playing for, I don't know, France and they lost 6-1 against a real team like Canada/US you wouldn't blame the goaltending.

Yep, the Canucks have the 16th best sv% (right at the median) while having the 7th cheapest duo in the league. When the goalies aren't wallpapering over the holes on this team the warts become more obvious. But instead of recognizing the deficiencies, some people just blame the goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce