Post-Game Talk: GM 22: Stars def. Canucks - 6-1 (Horvat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This is another reason why flooding your bottom 6 with long term deals is so ****ing stupid. You clog up roster spots with guys who may or may not give a **** some nights and mail it in. Who on the bottom 6 is actually playing for contracts or a job? Gaudette and he seems the only one bringing it. I’d rather have a bunch of hungry guys that are playing for their lives every night and don’t need motivation.

This is a great point and a big part of why we don’t have anyone on the farm except maybe MacEwan pushing for a spot is the fact that Benning traded away an entire drafts worth of mid- round picks for junk instead of using those picks (and acquiring more) to draft players who now should be filling our bottom six.
The latest draft where we drafted a good bunch of forward prospects is what we really needed 5 years ago instead of a bunch of Linden Veys and holding onto older,soon to be UFA’s in a hopeless attempt to make the playoffs.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
This is not "bad goaltending". We've had insane goaltending carrying us for a long time and right now Markstrom/Demko can't carry this trash roster every night. 6 goals is obviously not a good night for Markstrom, but these were some pretty prime scoring chances and he made some quality saves. If Markstrom was playing for, I don't know, France and they lost 6-1 against a real team like Canada/US you wouldn't blame the goaltending.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sven Baertschi & Loui Eriksson should not be on the active roster, let alone both playing in the same game. If the supposed skilled players aren't producing goals, then they aren't contributing. Would rather see what Kole Lind, Zach MacEwen, or Justin Bailey could do.

We'll trade you MacEwen and Lind for Baertschi even.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Higgins got bought out because he couldn't play in the league anymore. Then earlier this year he took a job.. with the Canucks.

Do you remember how it happened?

Embarrassing.

Report: Canucks to add ex-player Chris Higgins in player development role

Thanks for letting me know this. I missed this headline.

Good for him. Employment and keeping busy is important and when the Canucks are the ONLY real game in town, just like guys like IMac, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I would imagine that life would be easier for Chris if he could just stay in his own development position and not have to be involved in team politics. I wish him all the best!

Just like trying to logically prove that Jim Benning is a real GM, if anyone has an alternative explanation why the Sedins left money on the table to play the game that they obviously love to retire and start running I'm all ears. PS. It wasn't health or physical fitness.

Or how Hammer somehow had to go all the way to Dallas to continue his career while having very strong roots in BC.

So all I'm saying is if my GM was extending players like Eric Gudbranson to sabotage my team... I'd nope outta here so fast it would make your head spin.

My point is about employer and employee relationships and has absolutely nothing to do with anything personal against the Canuck franchise.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, huge reason we lost 6-1. Replace LE 9 minutes tonight with Mcgowen and we probably win 6-1

Well, obviously MacEwen wouldn't turn this loss to a win. But this loss is probably a little easier to watch if it's only 4-1 with a young player competing and trying to improve rather than 6-1 with a lazy sack of overpaid ass costing the team two goals by floating.

Like Garrett said, that 5 on 3. A chance to take control and it spirals in the other direction. **** the stars for trying to pull the muck and grind game in 2019 with all that skill, what a waste of a roster

What on earth?

Dallas is an old, slow, untalented team that was cutting through us like the Harlem Globetrotters last night and scored 6 goals on a multitude of chances.

Reactions: Intangibos

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Do you remember how it happened?

Embarrassing.

Report: Canucks to add ex-player Chris Higgins in player development role

Thanks for letting me know this. I missed this headline.

Good for him. Employment and keeping busy is important and when the Canucks are the ONLY real game in town, just like guys like IMac, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I would imagine that life would be easier for Chris if he could just stay in his own development position and not have to be involved in team politics. I wish him all the best!

Just like trying to logically prove that Jim Benning is a real GM, if anyone has an alternative explanation why the Sedins left money on the table to play the game that they obviously love to retire and start running I'm all ears. PS. It wasn't health or physical fitness.

Or how Hammer somehow had to go all the way to Dallas to continue his career while having very strong roots in BC.

If my GM was extending players like Eric Gudbranson to sabotage my team... I'd nope outta here so fast it would make your head spin.

Yes I remember how it happened.

Higgins was too slow to play at the NHL level anymore, yet because he's known to be a good guy who also had a family member that posted on the site people freaked out about it even though it was a completely justifiable move. It was further proven to be justifiable when he never played in the league again.

How do you remember it?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Higgins was too slow to play at the NHL level anymore, yet because he's known to be a good guy who also had a family member that posted on the site people freaked out about it even though it was a completely justifiable move. That was proven when he never played in the league again.

How do you remember it?
As a matter of fact, I was watching Chris extremely closely at that point of time and the amount of effs he was giving on his shifts was close to zero. Lazy changing, lazy back checking... just skating aimlessly. lol.

And then we played Phoenix and suddenly Chris started playing hard again. Maybe it was because his buddies Shane and Brad were also playing? I dunno.

And then the following game.. I think it was ANA, Chris stopped playing hard and it was at that point of time, crap hit the fan for him.

That's how I remember it.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What on earth?

Dallas is an old, slow, untalented team that was cutting through us like the Harlem Globetrotters last night and scored 6 goals on a multitude of chances.
This new found excuse of shitty Canucks play being blamed on teams "trapping it up" or whatever is quite frankly ridiculous.

Like, it doesn't even make sense. Dallas probably doubled the Canucks scoring chances last night, and probably tripled them last week. Dallas is playing real hockey, and the Canucks, are basically still stuck in extended pre-season.

Vancouver Canucks @ Dallas Stars, 2019-11-19

The heatmap in the Canucks d-zone is brutal.

Reactions: dombrova22

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Higgins was too slow to play at the NHL level anymore, yet because he's known to be a good guy who also had a family member that posted on the site people freaked out about it even though it was a completely justifiable move. It was further proven to be justifiable when he never played in the league again.

How do you remember it?

Yay disingenuous strawman arguments. The staple of HF.

Nobody "freaked out" about it. They were upset about the WAY it was handled, which several longtime vets like Ray Ferraro agreed was unprofessional and weird.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This new found excuse of ****ty Canucks play being blamed on teams "trapping it up" or whatever is quite frankly ridiculous.

Like, it doesn't even make sense. Dallas probably doubled the Canucks scoring chances last night, and probably tripled them last week. Dallas is playing real hockey, and the Canucks, are basically still stuck in extended pre-season.

Vancouver Canucks @ Dallas Stars, 2019-11-19

The heatmap in the Canucks d-zone is brutal.

It's a bizarre sort of hypocrisy or lack of self-awareness as well, given our hyper-conservative coach who dresses three checking lines and tries to trap a 0-0 tie to the shootout.

Unfortunately, Dallas can actually execute defensively and we've fallen off a cliff after a good start.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yay disingenuous strawman arguments. The staple of HF.

Nobody "freaked out" about it. They were upset about the WAY it was handled, which several longtime vets like Ray Ferraro agreed was unprofessional and weird.

People were upset at the asset management along with how it was handled.

Anyways, that not the point. Simply put, I think it is disingenuous for that poster to place him on a list with the others given he took another position in the organization.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
This team pulled one over on me the first 10 games. They are right back to what they were last year - complete garbage. At least we can look forward to more lottery chances....er, no, wait, Captain **** Stick traded our first round pick away because what does he care? If this team is in the lottery he's fired.

****ing Canucks.
It's protected.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
People were upset at the asset management along with how it was handled.

Anyways, that not the point. Simply put, I think it is disingenuous for that poster to place him on a list with the others given he took another position in the organization.

Tbh I don't know who you're talking to, but I certainly don't recall any number of people "freaking out" about "asset management" when Higgins was bought out. I think you made that up. To what end, I don't know.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Some weird post game reactions in here. It was a bad game from puck drop. Teams have brutal efforts from time to time, I'm more interested in seeing how we respond on the next game rather than pointing fingers saying I told you we wouldn't make the playoffs.
They have lost 8 of 9 and they showed up to game 9 with their most pathetic performance of the season.

Canucks are losing 5 more in a row to close out November, then getting shitkicked by the Oilers in December.

Bottom 5 team. One good month doesn't change what this team is.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Team was getting whupped far before the third - third just made it more obvious.

Game mainly pointed out how little the team could penetrate into good scoring areas and how everything was being worked from the outside. Moreover, coverage problems were every where as the defense got run out of the building at times.

Very poor effort and the team appears headed into a real tail spin

Some very poor performances included:

Pettersson - really struggling. Trying but being shunted out of the play easily and finding no room to do anything.

Boeser - odd play here and there but nothing like consistent. Not getting to the net or passing the puck well in odd man situations. Increasingly unable to do anything when pressure applied

Miller - nothing all game and another with poor work on the PP

Levio - why is he on the 1st PP instead of Gaudette on the 5 on 3? Hustle or whatever you call it can not the hide the fact that, in terms of puck movement and play making, he is very minor league. Fact he is getting the playing time he is, tells you the problem the team has. Is he really much better than Granlund was?

Baertschi - too much of a light weight to hang in with a big defense like Dallas has. Too slow and small to provide much of any offensive punch and liability elsewhere.

Eriksson - can't play at the NHL level. Might as well try someone who perhaps has some upside or future.

Edler - can't skate well enough to get in position to make a play. Just reacting and ends up chasing around in his end.

Myers - not working well with Edler (probably few would) and skating into trouble. Really groping in his end in this game and making numerous bad turnovers.

Benn - both him and Stecher looked over-matched. Just got backed up into their end. Difficult for Benn b/c he is paired with Stecher who is having an abysmal year.

Pearson - lack of speed evident. Seemed to always trying to catch up with the play.

Markstrom - game has fallen apart since family situation. Stars were pot-shotting on him and choosing which hole to exploit. Decline in the goal tending is exposing the deficiencies with this team.

One thing to like was the speed and determination of Gaudette. There definitely appears to be something here but finding a spot for him is the difficulty. Maybe should be tried at wing on the top two lines. Tonight his line got some pressure on the Stars but also got burned on good transition by Dallas.
Everyone is underperforming.

Fire green. Fire Benning then fire Green.

Reactions: dombrova22

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The biggest mistake anyone can make is to look in mirror, and completely fail to see what everyone else is seeing.

Every season in Benning era follows the same 'Groundhog Day' schedule. Team is one of the most active in the off-season with trades and free agency, because they're convinced they're only a couple of players away. And so Jimbo either overpays or over-hypes them, or usually both. And mostly they flop.

Team roars out of the gate in October, which is really little more than a glorified exhibition schedule. Then in November the injuries hit; the lack of depth is exposed; and the team plummets like a rock. The dramatically overpaid 'depth' players that Jimbo signs for 'veteran leadership' don't score or provide much of any 'veteran leadership'.

And another season is derailed by a couple of 11-game winless skids--usually in November for some reason, and then another coming out of the All-Star break when the really good teams are gearing up for the stretch drive.

The only real reason to watch this team is the young players like Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson. But you can't expect players 23 or under to deliver you back to the promised land. They're just too easy to shut down by older, heavier teams with legitimate Cup aspirations.

Of course this didn't stop of the Aquilinis from handing out another three-year extension to Jimbo. But the quid-pro-quo is that it's little wonder that there's tickets available for most of the games now.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
This is a great point and a big part of why we don’t have anyone on the farm except maybe MacEwan pushing for a spot is the fact that Benning traded away an entire drafts worth of mid- round picks for junk instead of using those picks (and acquiring more) to draft players who now should be filling our bottom six.
The latest draft where we drafted a good bunch of forward prospects is what we really needed 5 years ago instead of a bunch of Linden Veys and holding onto older,soon to be UFA’s in a hopeless attempt to make the playoffs.
The Canucks could trade every single pick outside of the first round, for a whole decade, and it would have zero impact on the team. None. Actually it would probably be positive, that many trades they probably end up with a few wins.

What I'm saying is, the drafting is compete trash.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
2-5-3 in L10.

Outscored 35 to 23 in that span.

Definitely no cause for concern here.
Obviously losses are a concern..The only games this month that the Canucks lost handily were the Hawks game and both Dallas games ...STL,ANA,COL all went into OT....NJD and WIN were close games could have gone either way...I would be very concerned if they were getting blown out of games on a regular basis, but they are not..

Take away this last game, and they've been outscored 29-22

I'm still optimistic that the team will pull itself together

Reactions: Jimnastic

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lol, anyone who thinks there is no cause for concern is kidding themselves at this point.

The Caps loss ripped the curtain down and exposed this team as a pretender. Ever since then they have looked scared, flustered and unproductive. The veteran leadership they do have has done nothing to stop the bleeding; in fact, their play has directly contributed to their current situation.

This team is bound for another bottom-10 finish. Hopefully they grab a nice talent (the draft is stacked) because if this happens again next season, hooooo boy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Obviously losses are a concern..The only games this month that the Canucks lost handily were the Hawks game and both Dallas games ...STL,ANA,COL all went into OT....NJD and WIN were close games could have gone either way...I would be very concerned if they were getting blown out of games on a regular basis, but they are not..

Take away this last game, and they've been outscored 29-22

I'm still optimistic that the team will pull itself together

Too bad they don't have the October schedule to get back on track because this "slide" could easily turn into something ugly as they play NSH/WSH/PHI/PIT/EDM to end the month. All on the road. In a 10 day span.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Lol, anyone who thinks there is no cause for concern is kidding themselves at this point.

The Caps loss ripped the curtain down and exposed this team as a pretender. Ever since then they have looked scared, flustered and unproductive. The veteran leadership they do have has done nothing to stop the bleeding; in fact, their play has directly contributed to their current situation.

This team is bound for another bottom-10 finish. Hopefully they grab a nice talent (the draft is stacked) because if this happens again next season, hooooo boy.
After the Caps loss ,they did the California run, and got 5 out of a possible 6 points..What are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad