GDT: GM 2 | Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | 4:00PM PST | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was a freaking weird game. Was like 3 totally different games in one.

First period we were absolutely dismantled and Thatcher Demko was the only reason it wasn't 3-0. Absolutely brutal performance.

Second period was more even but the hapless Carter Hart just completely disintegrated and gifted us an undeserved lead.

Third period we actually played a really good road period for 18 minutes ... and then fouled it up late. Might not be surprising it looked like they ran out of gas after running 9 forwards for two periods.

Green ... ugh. Benches a kid after his first goal to protect a lead and then can't even protect the lead.

- Demko was excellent and the numbers don't reflect how well he played. Terrific.

- Hughes-Poolman were a nightmare in the first period but then played well the rest of the way. Poolman is very limited with the puck on his stick. Hughes has shifts where he defends well and then ... yuck.

- OEL was solid. Myers had a struggle aside from a great series of plays on the Podkolzin goal.

- Burroughs continues to be a revelation. Just really solid. Rathbone is hit-and-miss. I'll need some convincing his upside isn't Vince Dunn.

- Hoglander wasn't as dynamic with the puck as against Edmonton but was all over the place defensively. Is driving play and turning into a top-quality two-way player. Green - as usual a day late and a dollar short - did figure out eventually he belonged on the top line.

- Pettersson is ... ehh. The all-energy player moving his feet all over the ice in the first month of his career seems like a different person a very long time ago. Waits for the play to come to him instead of going out and making things happen. Supremely talented and he'll get his points ... but you feel he could be more.

- Miller had a LOL 3-point game. Was so bad early and then basically just fluked 3 points.

- Horvat line got better as the game went along. Garland isn't fully clicking but he had a solid performance tonight. Flashes moments that are really fun. Pearson is just a big slug who should be load-managed to 13-14 minutes/game to try and preserve his skating. Playing him 20 minutes is going to make him unplayable before long - as we saw last year.

- Highmore-Dickinson on your 3rd line is simply not good enough offensively. Both guys are black holes. They'll do the right things defensively but simply will never score.

- thought Lammikko and the 4th line struggled. Got pinned badly defensively a few times - one of them totally Green's fault for sticking them in a terrible matchup - and were then benched.

- Podkolzin. I thought he was really poor in the first and rightly moved off the top line. Then he scores a beauty goal right at the start of the 2nd period. If you want to bench him for the last 10-12 minutes protecting a lead ... fair enough. But to essentially bench a rookie for 40 minutes right after scoring is HATEHATEHATE. So profoundly negative. Not how any fan wants to see their team approach the game, not an attitude from the coaching staff that fans can be proud of.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
So Podz getting the same love as Goldobin got under Willie I see, you score you don't play o_O.

Both coaches Willie and Green no different, both garbage.

Willie Desjardins: 3 years
GP: 247 W:109 L:110 OL:27 %: .498

Travis Green: 5 years
GP: 290 W:125 L:132 OL:33 %: .488

Last edited:
Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Hoglander - Horvat - Garland
Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

This would be the logical way to approach the forward lines but no way in hell Green does this. Podkolzin against the other team's top lines? His beloved Pearson playing anything less than 20 minutes per game? No chance.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Third period we actually played a really good road period for 18 minutes ... and then fouled it up late. Might not be surprising it looked like they ran out of gas after running 9 forwards for two periods.

Green ... ugh. Benches a kid after his first goal to protect a lead and then can't even protect the lead.

Watch them look totally gassed tomorrow and get stomped

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I can’t think of anything I find less exciting than the shootout. To me it’s the dulllest part of the entire game.

3v3 is sometimes exciting and sometimes players weirdly skating the puck out of the zone to Center in a way that looks totally foreign. I thought 4v4 was very exciting.

I guess difference in opinion. Do you play hockey? (I don't mean that in a condescending way)
Not sure about you, but when I'm in net in a 1 on 1 showdown, there's nothing more that gets my blood pumping. Make a save and I'm a hero. Let it in and I'm a zero, or whatever. lol.
Like wise, knowing the next 10 seconds is going to make a direct impact on the conclusion of the game, whether it's a goal, or a missed attempt/save. And it's also where I can watch some of the slickest stickhandling from players that can pull it off.

3v3 is much more exciting than 4v4 because of the open space. Strategy doesn't change nearly as much from normal hockey in 4v4. 3v3 suddenly does look like pond hockey. It changes the game too much, so I understand the controversies about it. That's why once it's 3v3, the possession is so much more important than just trying to keep it in the zone. A poorly executed attack and it suddenly becomes a 2 on 1 or a 2 man breakaway going the other way. That's why they sometimes regroup even if it costs them to move out of the zone again.

Overall, I still find there is way more scoring chances in 3v3 which is why I like it. It's like watching 2 teams set up and exchange power play possessions. And the whole point of it wasn't to make it like traditional hockey. It's so they can hopefully end the game and not go into SO, which people hate even more. 4v4 would result in more games going into SO just because the scoring chances didn't really become much greater than 5v5.

Reactions: Indiana

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
- Pettersson is ... ehh. The all-energy player moving his feet all over the ice in the first month of his career seems like a different person a very long time ago. Waits for the play to come to him instead of going out and making things happen. Supremely talented and he'll get his points ... but you feel he could be more.

First month of his career was the least defended he's ever been. He had so much more time and space in his first outings and it wasn't always because he created it himself

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First month of his career was the least defended he's ever been. He had so much more time and space in his first outings and it wasn't always because he created it himself

He was playing completely differently. He was hustling after every puck. He was putting his body on the line to make plays. He was skating miles every shift. After a couple injuries he's become a much more static player obsessed with his shot. If he wants more space, he needs to make it himself.

Reactions: Indiana

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He was playing completely differently. He was hustling after every puck. He was putting his body on the line to make plays. He was skating miles every shift. After a couple injuries he's become a much more static player obsessed with his shot. If he wants more space, he needs to make it himself.
That’s ridiculous

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I guess difference in opinion. Do you play hockey? (I don't mean that in a condescending way)
Not sure about you, but when I'm in net in a 1 on 1 showdown, there's nothing more that gets my blood pumping. Make a save and I'm a hero. Let it in and I'm a zero, or whatever. lol.
Like wise, knowing the next 10 seconds is going to make a direct impact on the conclusion of the game, whether it's a goal, or a missed attempt/save. And it's also where I can watch some of the slickest stickhandling from players that can pull it off.

3v3 is much more exciting than 4v4 because of the open space. Strategy doesn't change nearly as much from normal hockey in 4v4. 3v3 suddenly does look like pond hockey. It changes the game too much, so I understand the controversies about it. That's why once it's 3v3, the possession is so much more important than just trying to keep it in the zone. A poorly executed attack and it suddenly becomes a 2 on 1 or a 2 man breakaway going the other way. That's why they sometimes regroup even if it costs them to move out of the zone again.

Overall, I still find there is way more scoring chances in 3v3 which is why I like it. It's like watching 2 teams set up and exchange power play possessions. And the whole point of it wasn't to make it like traditional hockey. It's so they can hopefully end the game and not go into SO, which people hate even more. 4v4 would result in more games going into SO just because the scoring chances didn't really become much greater than 5v5.

Yeah, that the strategy changes is why I don't like it. It might be "exciting" but it's not hockey anymore. Like you could make the same argument that they could do 1v1 and seeing McDavid vs. MacKinnon would be exciting too but that's not hockey. 3v3 just is too dissimilar from hockey to me that it's a different game entirely, and I don't like that it effects the outcome of real hockey games. I find it exciting in a very superficial way. IMO, of course. Four on four was still hockey and still had the open space that made for more scoring chances. I thought it was the perfect balance. 3v3 is just dumb. It's the All-Star game basically, which I also find dull and don't watch.

Shootouts I find dreadfully boring. They were exciting as a novelty but I've seen them all, everything has been tried and now it's players skating to the net in first gear and half-heartedly trying the same moves. There's zero emotion to it. I can't stand watching it and would love to see it scrapped.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What's ridiculous about it?

He's still a very good player, and the best position player on the team. And he'll continue to be a very good player. But the best hockey of his career was played in the first month of his career.

Are you talking about Pettersson or Boeser? Or Troy Stecher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad