GDT: GM 2 | Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | 4:00PM PST | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
You have to understand how the pp strategy works if that’s what you mean. He pulls a defender far closer to him when he is static in his spot, which opens up more passing lanes. Or did u mean something else?

Reactions: Indiana

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I didn’t watch the game. Can I get a report on who played well / bad? Searching through the thread I can’t seem to find one.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
We won exactly how everyone predicted we would win games this year - excellent goaltending, lots of opportunistic goals, and giving up leads with bad defense.

This is our team this is our product and if we make the playoffs playing like this I don't know why anyone would be surprised.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
He was playing completely differently. He was hustling after every puck. He was putting his body on the line to make plays. He was skating miles every shift. After a couple injuries he's become a much more static player obsessed with his shot. If he wants more space, he needs to make it himself.

I actually can see where you are coming from. He is a special player and can do much much more if he can get back to the level of compete he had for that first two months. He isn't doing that- I agree.

I also remember commenting on him being so static on the PP when he played for Sweden WJC team. I was talking about how I have seen him create angles and find soft spots, but he wasn't doing that for the games I had watched. He completely turned that around for the start of his NHL career, so I thought it was another case of him just adapting to be successful. But I agree there is an element of that that crept back in last year. Let's see if he can break out of that this year and if he is willing to step forward and pull the team with him to the fight, or if he is elite enough to allow the game to come to him and still dominate.

Reactions: Indiana

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Pettersson has been a concern for me since last year; he’s definitely been static and then showing frustration for the game not coming to him.

I agree with some posters here, he needs to command the game, not allow it to develop in his favour. He will figure it out though, he’s a very smart player and why there’s so much hype behind him.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I recorded the game - is the game worth watching after the first period?

Or, do I just watch the highlights?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok point 1. A static player. Ridiculous

On the PP, he's hilariously static. He just stands in one spot waiting for the one-timer he's in love with.

At ES ... I mean everything is relative. He isn't late-career Brett Hull. But he's playing a cerebral game waiting for the game to come to him. When you compare the gear he's playing in and the distance he's skating to push the play and make things happen to the likes of a MacKinnon or a McDavid or a younger Crosby ... they aren't in the same league.

He can play like this and he'll have a very nice career. He'll consistently finish top-20 in NHL scoring, make a ton of money, play in some All-Star games. If he wants to make the step above that into the upper echelon of the sport, he needs to rediscover the motor he arrived in the NHL with at the start of his career.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
On the PP, he's hilariously static. He just stands in one spot waiting for the one-timer he's in love with.

At ES ... I mean everything is relative. He isn't late-career Brett Hull. But he's playing a cerebral game waiting for the game to come to him. When you compare the gear he's playing in and the distance he's skating to push the play and make things happen to the likes of a MacKinnon or a McDavid or a younger Crosby ... they aren't in the same league.

He can play like this and he'll have a very nice career. He'll consistently finish top-20 in NHL scoring, make a ton of money, play in some All-Star games. If he wants to make the step above that into the upper echelon of the sport, he needs to rediscover the motor he arrived in the NHL with at the start of his career.
Yeah I just explained the pp. that’s a coaches decision for him to stay there. It opens up other areas. I can’t believe I have to explain this to you.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
[QUOTE="MS, post: 180550973, member: 1706"]I don't think it opens passing lanes. I think it makes them easier to defend.

The good PPs I'm seeing in the NHL right now don't have a guy just standing there waiting for a shot like that.[/QUOTE]
It absolutely does

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
[QUOTE="MS, post: 180550973, member: 1706"]I don't think it opens passing lanes. I think it makes them easier to defend.

The good PPs I'm seeing in the NHL right now don't have a guy just standing there waiting for a shot like that.
It absolutely does[/QUOTE]

I mean, Washington's does with Ovechkin, obviously. But he's Ovechkin.

Edmonton's 30% PP has guys moving everywhere. Pittsburgh's PP always has tons of movement and quick short passes. TB has shooters but the don't wait for it in the same way.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That's a HUGE win for the boys, 3 out of 4 points so far this road trip is a solid start, Especially considering both were home openers.
The Philly Point meant nothing, They are east who cares, refs almost screwed us, Nice finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad