Post-Game Talk: GM 2: Flames def. Canucks - 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So it would be bad optics to bench a guy that called out his coach and organization in the off season. Hasn’t lived up to his contract and coasted through the preseason.

You are just wrong here.

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks and Green are going to adopt a 'revolving door' to the pressbox for each game....Eriksson out for this one....Virtanen is next. It's the only real tool the coach has to get a player's attention.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Who cares? the current Canucks line-up is solid and those bad contracts will eventually flush out now that the top 6 is established. I don't foresee Canucks signing any more bottom six forwards to larger contracts moving forward. They needed it back then when their line-up was bare bones.

lmao that you're going to hold a grudge on Canucks because of cap structure.

That poster isn't wrong.

You should care. The line-up is not solid whatsoever, they have Tanner Pearson in their "established" top-6, the bottom-6 is crap because .... wait for it... we're stuck spending "26.5% of our cap space taken up by our 4th line and healthy scratches/buyouts/buried/cap recapture."

Instead of spending that 26.5% on decent and cheap bottom-6 core along with the reaminder on another decent top-6 fwd or top-4 D-men.

But hey, it's cool, we have Schaller/Eriksson/Beagle to hold er' down.

Reactions: I am toxic

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Who cares? the current Canucks line-up is solid and those bad contracts will eventually flush out now that the top 6 is established. I don't foresee Canucks signing any more bottom six forwards to larger contracts moving forward. They needed it back then when their line-up was bare bones.

lmao that you're going to hold a grudge on Canucks because of cap structure.

:facepalm:

This is the exact kind of thinking that's led to the current situation. The top 6 is not established, not by a longshot. WTF, are you kidding me? Oh, you don't foresee the Canucks doing the same damn thing they've done every year since Benning took over? Oh well, that's reassuring.

Lunacy.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Until the "top" line gels our actual first line is the Horvat line. Remember that EP40/Ferland/Boeser haven't had any real time to play together. Not sure why so many people are getting there panties in a twist after one game. If after 5 games the top line looks like they are not reading each other well then take a deep breath and realize that 1/3 of the Canucks roster has changed between game one of last year and now. We now have 7 or 8 players that are legit top 6 on a lot of teams in the league. Let them figure their sh!t out before freaking out.

Watch a more up-tempo brand of hockey and root for the young players on the team for a month or so ok? Watch Q.Hughes and EP40 cycle. Watch Horvat do his best Smyl impression and will his team to win. Watch Boeser try to make the last 2 years of injury shortened seasons a thing of the past. Watch Edler and Tanev show what they can really do with support on the back end.

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
When it comes to something like taking Edler off the #1 PP unit, yeah I agree with what you're saying. Absolutely. That's a thing that's a big call and you have to weigh the human factor there and there's more to it than meets the eye, especially with a guy who's been in the organization for 15 years.

For Loui Eriksson? **** no. The guy hasn't earned jack here, especially after publicly criticizing the organization and coach during the summer.

As for Edward on the PP; He's still one of the best options depending on whether Green goes 4/1 or 3/2.
Eriksson: Words don't ; admissible words don't describe his unprofessional tenure with this team. Baertschi is playing in the minors . LE isn't. Yikes somehow seems Lite.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Watching the Avs-Flames game last night I was struck by how different it was watching two good teams vs two poor teams like the canucks opener.
If the Flames get any sort of goaltending I believe they win 5-2 (EN).
The flames were terrible. Rittich kept it close. Vancouver was able to control the game for the most part. Considering this was the 1st time they played with the full roster. The top line had never played together and Brock and Ferland only played 2 games. If are top line and top pp unit we're average that's a different game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The flames were terrible. Rittich kept it close. Vancouver was able to control the game for the most part. Considering this was the 1st time they played with the full roster. The top line had never played together and Brock and Ferland only played 2 games. If are top line and top pp unit we're average that's a different game.

The Canucks were playing catch up for a good chunk of the game and had trouble engineering actual dangerous scoring chances. And it was against the Oilers. To “control” play and not generate scoring chances is not a thing to write home about.

The flames weren’t good and yet they were way better than either the Canucks or Oilers on opening day. When game 82 comes around there will be no comparison in the standings between the Flames and the other two teams. There is a reason that people everywhere are calling for 25 type finish for the Canucks...

Edit: another thought...it’s not like the the Canucks were the only team with guys having limited work in the pre-season. McDavid is coming back from injury for example. You might remember him from the game winning goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarrenX

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Have a feeling this game will get physical. Canucks and Flames games are usually good for entertainment value if nothing else.

Think Pettersson hits the scoresheet in this one.

EDIT:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
The fact that we could have a third line of
Baertchi - gaudette - virtanen/leivo
instead of the third line we have now makes me sick.

Lol so Beartschi is the player that makes or breaks our bottom six?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Lines look like they were drawn up by posters here, if you forget Virtanen

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Always love games against the Flames. They're never dull. Hope Ferland has a whale of a game.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Gaudette getting in the lineup hopefully means Horvat can move back on the first PP unit. I'm so tired of seeing Leivo out there.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Gaudette getting in the lineup hopefully means Horvat can move back on the first PP unit. I'm so tired of seeing Leivo out there.

Yeah, or at least slot Gaudette in place of Leivo on the first unit. Gaudette is a more natural offensive player.

Just happy Sutter and Beagle are paired up, surprised too. Didn't think Green would go to this look so quickly.

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, or at least slot Gaudette in place of Leivo on the first unit. Gaudette is a more natural offensive player.

Just happy Sutter and Beagle are paired up, surprised too. Didn't think Green would go to this look so quickly.
Gaudettes is at centre to start the game...although I wouldnt be surprised to see Green get the blender out, and start shuffling the lines ,after the puck drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad