Post-Game Talk: GM 2 Caps vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I dont get why the pens got rid of hags. He may never score but the puck is never leaving the offensive zone so who cares?

Not sure, he wasn’t playing well on the Kings either. He most certainly fits in here. He was a thorn in our side for years with the Rags and Pens.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Not sure what was up with Carlson - dude passed up way too many shots on the PP - the Canes are over-shading to Ovechkin.

Niskanen also wasn't super-duper, particularly in the 2nd period.

Loved Eller's effort, and he did a great job of calming things down during several longer line-changes.

Ovechkin plays hockey well.

Dunno what Holtby was doing on the first two goals against.Seemed inconsistent - mostly very good to great, but a couple of bonehead plays...

...and was much better than Mrazek, who will eventually be the reason the Canes lose this series - he can be gotten to.

Just saw the reverse angle of the elbow by Hamilton. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he got a call.

And finally, if you lose a playoff game in OT to a Brooks Orpik goal, you only have yourself to blame.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Did not see the game, happy about the result.

Are they still going with Hags on the 2nd, Vrana on the 3rd? Does it appear to be working? I'm really not sure about this.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
The flipped Hagelin and Vrana in the 3rd period, to much success. I imagine Vrana will be back on the 2nd line and Hagelin on the 3rd line to start Game 3.
Yep, after many ppl here suggested this change. Hopefully they read our forum)

IMO Caps are lucky in the sense that they didn't need full 60min effort to win in last two games. They are still far from their perfect game, but they're heading in right direction.

Reactions: tenken00

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Hi!

I come in peace! (LOL).

Just wanted to say that I went to my first playoff game at Capital One today (I haven't been since the "Verizon Center" days), and I was SUPER-IMPRESSED. First of all--aside from the stunned looks I got lol--people were extremely kind and gracious. Met some nice people. Also, the production was really stellar. I joked, after the pre-game hype video, that you guys had almost converted me to a Caps fan lol.

Anyway congrats! Hard fought game.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wow, skimming through the game on DVR. Got to the Boyd headshot. Watching Brindamor go mental on the Ref about the 5 min penalty. He looks like the Ultimate Warrior. Thought one of his eyes was going to pop out of his head at one point.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Hi!

I come in peace! (LOL).

Just wanted to say that I went to my first playoff game at Capital One today (I haven't been since the "Verizon Center" days), and I was SUPER-IMPRESSED. First of all--aside from the stunned looks I got lol--people were extremely kind and gracious. Met some nice people. Also, the production was really stellar. I joked, after the pre-game hype video, that you guys had almost converted me to a Caps fan lol.

Anyway congrats! Hard fought game.

Glad you enjoyed your time, I've always like that the cap center has been someplace anyone could go to. Not a fan of the arena's that can be dangerous to opposing fans or you cant take a kid to. While we don't have the best game atmosphere in the league (IMO), I do really like our media production guys, they are top notch.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Orpik now has two OT winners. His last one finished off the Islanders in 2013.

I remember this too, it made me sick to death. The Orpik GWGs since have been joyous. I didn't get a chance to watch until the 3rd period today due to extra work obligations, but I get the sense that Carolina is lucky to have been close in our games.

I'm not worried and haven't been this whole series, and this is the first time I can say this about a Caps team EVER in my life as a fan. Mentally, and I know some of you will hate to see this, I'm already checked into the second round. If we win Monday, I'm going to go to Raleigh for game 4 and hopefully see them cause their own storm surge down there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone have video of Ovechkin's destruction of Svechnikov today? I felt sorry for the kid. That had to hurt. Orpik in G1 and Ov in G2. Wilson gets him in G3 I guess

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Wow, skimming through the game on DVR. Got to the Boyd headshot. Watching Brindamor go mental on the Ref about the 5 min penalty. He looks like the Ultimate Warrior. Thought one of his eyes was going to pop out of his head at one point.
Did DeHan go headshot Boyd in the luxury box?! That bastard!!

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Had to watch this on a delay. Didn’t really, but ended up doing so. How I love DVRs....

At any rate. The canes are a bunch of sneaky dirty bastards. Noticed in G1, really saw it today. Lots of elbows and such, especially when making a hit along the boards. How alomost all of them have gone uncalled is a mystery.

I’m all for letting the boys play and not calling garbage “game managing” penalties, e.g. behind the play rough stuff, but basically allowing a team to hold, interfere, jack up a guy, etc. is stupid. That’s what the refs did today.

I don’t know about the ferland hit. The 80s hockey watcher in me sees that as a hockey play. Knowing how the NHL is in 2019, I get it. It’s a quagmire, has me discombobulated.

The Hamilton elbow should, emphasis on should, get him parked. That was, IMO, way worse than the hit on Dowd. A sharpened elbow, delivered forcefully and deliberately to a guy’s face, warrants supplemental discipline.......if the league wants that crap to stop.

Ovechkins hit was penalty. No doubt. 15/20 years ago it’s not. In 2019 it is.

Orpik will go down in Caps history as something extraordinary. If he would de-sew his gloves dare I say....right up there with Tinner.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I love the we are up but man at time have we looked nothing like we should be. Idk if I should be worried or not

Credit to the canes

I really want to win this series for one main reason. If we lose, and Islanders advance, all you’re going to hear about is how we kept Reirden and “look at what Trotz is doing, see blah blah, way to go Caps”

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
leo-toast.gif

Don't worry txpd I don't intend on doing anything fancier than what I did for today's game. :D
To be honest, I think you need to dial it back a bit. The high fancy quotient is probably what sent us to OT.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I love the we are up but man at time have we looked nothing like we should be. Idk if I should be worried or not

Credit to the canes

I really want to win this series for one main reason. If we lose, and Islanders advance, all you’re going to hear about is how we kept Reirden and “look at what Trotz is doing, see blah blah, way to go Caps”

Seems strange to be taking such a pessimistic view - Caps lead the series 2-0. Can they play better? Yes for sure. Will they step things up as the playoffs progress? Yes of course. This time last year they were down 0-2. I'd say they're in good shape.
I also think people do the Canes a disservice. They may be WC1 but they finished only 5 points and 2 wins less than the Caps. They scored 33 less goals than we did but they allowed 26 less than us. They are a very good hockey team.
What I would be concerned about is that the Canes seem to be slow starters - they've allowed goals early in both games, then they really tighten up. I'd expect them to address this in game 3 and if they do goals might be harder to come by. Which is
why that PP needs to be better.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Credit to the canes

Part of me wants to really believe it’s the opponent we are playing. We are playing them pretty soft. Towards the end of the regular season we played the lightning much much harder, we played the Canes more tacticful, we were not out there trying to beat them up. I still see the same style being played against them in the playoffs.

It really doesn’t look like a playoff game, it legit looks like just another boring regular season game.

I truly believe think this is the game plan and the Caps are saving their bodies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh good Lord. Carolina is good. They get paid too. They got a questionable goal and then a lucky goal to be in that game. They earned the 3rd goal.

Are we expecting a sweep of 4 5-0 games?

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

Brindamour was a pretty underrated player back in the day. Still has his passion to this day.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
...the Caps are saving their bodies.

Definitely are. Last year they learned to give the least needed to get Ws most nights. They learned its not a sprint, its a marathon.

Much to my dismay, players can't or won't go balls to wall all out 100% of the time, like Ovi did early in his career. If players don't go all out all the time, how does a coach manage that. Ovi I need you at 90% the first 10 minutes? Willy you take the night off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad