GDT: GM 16 | Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Islanders | Familiar Faces, I’ll Tell You That For Free | Wed. Nov 15th, 7:00PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Last time these two teams met, Beauvillier had the last laugh:

- Carson Soucy was injured against Montreal and is questionable
- Demko expected to start

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev
Boeser - Miller - Di Giuseppe
Joshua - Suter - Garland
Beauvillier - Blueger - Lafferty

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Cole - Juulsen

Demko

More to come.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Horvat will either have an uneventful game and finish a -2.

Or will score a hattrick.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's weird what the masses latch onto here as 'things' and Horvat is going to get booed harder than Mark Messier because of a small, kinda dumb comment he made after he left.

I hope he doesn't get booed other than by the fringe idiots. Can't imagine our fanbase is dumb enough to boo over basically nothing, but we'll see.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hope he doesn't booed in other than by the fringe idiots. Can't imagine our fanbase is dumb enough to boo over basically nothing, but we'll see.

This is the fanbase that had protests to get Mike Gillis fired because he won two lopsided trades involving goalies.

The reaction to those comments from Horvat was absurd and he's going to get booed every time he touches the puck, I'd expect.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I hope he gets booed. Bad guys to root against make sports more fun.

In a couple years we can acknowledge all the great stuff he did off the ice, but right now he's the second biggest reason we've stunk for a decade and threw trash at the fans on the way out (don't fact @ me bro).

Rabble rabble rabble!!

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I am hoping we get more tidbits of Horvat's captaincy in the post-game reports. A few weeks ago, some media guy said something along the lines of JTM's struggles last year were due to him feeling like he had to do everything himself, and with the right accountability structure in place with Tocchet (and maybe Hughes as captain), that pressure isn't really on him anymore.

It wouldn't surprise me if Horvat, like every other ruined young player we had over the past decade, also developed into a crappy pro/leader under the tutelage of people like Sutter or Green or whatever.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I am hoping we get more tidbits of Horvat's captaincy in the post-game reports. A few weeks ago, some media guy said something along the lines of JTM's struggles last year were due to him feeling like he had to do everything himself, and with the right accountability structure in place with Tocchet (and maybe Hughes as captain), that pressure isn't really on him anymore.

It wouldn't surprise me if Horvat, like every other ruined young player we had over the past decade, also developed into a crappy pro/leader under the tutelage of people like Sutter or Green or whatever.

Tocchet has referred to Miller as the team's emotional leader and commented that it is a quiet locker room. I think that Horvat just didn't have the guts to push his teammates.

Perhaps this isn't fair but him having a career season while the team spiralled around him kind of demonstrated his role with the team. There were just so many meltdowns with him as captain. Good player, but not a guy who can rally the troops. And signing that contract with a declining team shows me he's either not very smart or way too comfortable with losing.

I don't really blame the player though and he definitely shouldn't be booed. He was miscast from the beginning as a two way forward and a leader when he was actually a offensive forward.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Could we throw a date in the PGTs if we're doing them well in advance like this? I wasn't paying attention, thought it was a GDT and I was about to get Mikey Gillis to fire up the powerpoint and make another scheduling difficulty presentation.

Someone ninja edited that in for you. My bad.

-

My title is also meant in jest. I hope the Canucks’ crowd doesn’t boo Horvat for his (admittedly stupid) comment, but instead respectfully acknowledges that he gave us his best during one of - if not the - worst periods in franchise history.

• Love
Reactions: quat and Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Of course that happened. Basically every player that came into this organization between 2014 and 2021 developed sub-optimally.

The bits we can see as fans are likely just the tip of the iceberg, but how he was handled circa 2015-2017 when you had Willie criticizing him for scoring and the organization basically setting him up to fail and giving Sutter the soft scoring minutes was insane. And then - boom - he's captain at age 23 with nobody there to support him at all.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is the fanbase that had protests to get Mike Gillis fired because he won two lopsided trades involving goalies.

The reaction to those comments from Horvat was absurd and he's going to get booed every time he touches the puck, I'd expect.

My thought is that the majority of the fans will still be respectful to a long-serving captain. But.. maybe it's more hope than anything.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My thought is that the majority of the fans will still be respectful to a long-serving captain. But.. maybe it's more hope than anything.

That might be the case, but 5000 fans booing every touch of the puck will make a lot more noise than 13000 fans politely clapping the Thank You video and being silent otherwise.

Edit : I hope I'm wrong, for the record. It would be a really embarrassing look for the whole organization to have Horvat treated that way.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
In the total context of the last 8 years, Horvat's positive/negative contribution to the team's fortunes is pfffft, compared to the Benning et al management group.

We've moved on and we're in a much happier state. Hope and expect the crowd to be classy to Bo on Wednesday night.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The best thing the fans can do is cheer on the Canucks harder than Bo ever saw during his tenure and pretend that Bo doesn't exist. No cheering or booing for him. He was a nothing player.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'd hate to see us play the slump-busters, but it's a weird situation for us coming off a road b2b into another b2b. Isles have a tough road trip this week, if you ignore quality of opponent. They are in Alberta tonight, then they have a b2b of their own in the PNW before heading back to Alberta again on Saturday. Hopefully we can catch them in a lull and we don't try to conserve too much of our own energy.

As far as Horvat goes, I refuse to speculate on closed-door affairs and so have nothing to say about his leadership abilities there. What I do know is that he played his bag off for us, and never once complained about his revolving door of ass linemates. He served his duties admirably. He gave us some memorable moments. And fetched us one hell of a trade package too...

Put some respect on this man

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I hope he gets booed. Bad guys to root against make sports more fun.

In a couple years we can acknowledge all the great stuff he did off the ice, but right now he's the second biggest reason we've stunk for a decade and threw trash at the fans on the way out (don't fact @ me bro).

Rabble rabble rabble!!
Cannot think of a post I disagree more with.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Bo was better in that Blues series than Kesler vs Nashville.

Nucks were supposed to win in 2011, vs STL they were the underdogs.

well this is a take.

Kesler was an absolute two-way monster, extremely competitive, very fast and physical, elite penalty killer. Horvat is pretty soft on defense, offensively skilled but doesn't bring much else. The myth of Horvat exceeded the reality in every way when he was a Canuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad