GDT: GM#14 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:30-Willie Era Begins!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
3-1 in their last 4, but still 31st overall. A tough road ahead.

Last spot in the west is on pace for 93 points. The Kings need 82 points in 68 games, or .603 hockey, to hit that. Or, regardless of the ultimate point total for that last spot, they might only have about 22 regulation losses left to give.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hence, consistently. Also, he created two goal scoring opportunities. When was the last time Quick actually did something with the puck besides turning it over? Don't worry I'll wait.
Trying to tell me Quicks save percentage would be better the way this season is going?

Check your own blinders mate.

I can think of quite a few overtime games where Quick has moved the puck to create a chance. He doesn't have the 'come out and play it' puckhandling skillset, and that's fine. But you're giving Campbell a pass for the turnovers by blaming quick's skillset, which is garbage.

Not sure Quick would be better right now but you're going out of your way to dumpster a guy on IR because of your MO which is fine but it's extremely short sighted because Quick needed like 60 games to prove you wrong last year but you're giving Campbell one game to prove you right.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not really. Campbell's save percentage this season is higher than Quick's career average. It also the same as or higher than Quicks in six of the last 7 seasons. Not saying Soupy is taking over, just pointing out some current facts.

Before last night's results were entered I guess, Campbell was at a .912. And I'm not dumping on Campbell, just pointing out the flaws of using one game and ignoring the previous handful, which is sort of the stretch Quick had last year before he went out for a week or so....867, .880, .917, .667, .840, .636 in a row. How conveniently and quickly @Sol forgets because he was absolutely spitting lava during that stretch.

I'm stoked for Campbell and he's an easy guy to root for, but it's also BEYOND early to call for his exit in favor of Campbell whose consistency makes Quick look like mid-career Marty Brodeur.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I can think of quite a few overtime games where Quick has moved the puck to create a chance. He doesn't have the 'come out and play it' puckhandling skillset, and that's fine. But you're giving Campbell a pass for the turnovers by blaming quick's skillset, which is garbage.

Not sure Quick would be better right now but you're going out of your way to dumpster a guy on IR because of your MO which is fine but it's extremely short sighted because Quick needed like 60 games to prove you wrong last year but you're giving Campbell one game to prove you right.

PAR for the course with him....but....

I have liked the way Campbell has looked, depending on the situation....and return, it might be time to look at dealing Quick, which is probably the hardest thing this organization would have to do, but man, if you can get a good return, you have to at least explore it.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Before last night's results were entered I guess, Campbell was at a .912. And I'm not dumping on Campbell, just pointing out the flaws of using one game and ignoring the previous handful, which is sort of the stretch Quick had last year before he went out for a week or so....867, .880, .917, .667, .840, .636 in a row. How conveniently and quickly @Sol forgets because he was absolutely spitting lava during that stretch.

I'm stoked for Campbell and he's an easy guy to root for, but it's also BEYOND early to call for his exit in favor of Campbell whose consistency makes Quick look like mid-career Marty Brodeur.

LOL, agreed, but if Campbell can show consistency this year, during Quick's injury etc, man, I think you have to explore moving Quick....

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Pros: Kings actually played the first structured game of the season. Defense defended the blue line hence Muzzin had a great game. The team played really solid as a unit.

Cons : it's boring lol.

This was pretty much Sutter hockey

Speak for yourself. I'll never denigrate any Kings win. - even a game seven 8-0 win in the SCF!

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Kovalchuk - "I think I can be much better. It's still an adjustment. I've played with all different guys, but it doesn't matter. You just have to be ready when coach calls your name."

Awesome...if he can play better, his linemates will reap more too. 14 points and the Kings only have 32 goals. Kovy has a point on 43% of them.

PP has been good and Kovy's take:

Kovalchuk on LA Kings power play improvements of late - "We just started working harder. The first couple games we were just standing still there. Now, we move the puck, we move ourselves, create those lanes, shoot the puck, get rebounds, get the tips in. That's how it works."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kovalchuk - "I think I can be much better. It's still an adjustment. I've played with all different guys, but it doesn't matter. You just have to be ready when coach calls your name."

Awesome...if he can play better, his linemates will reap more too. 14 points and the Kings only have 32 goals. Kovy has a point on 43% of them.

PP has been good and Kovy's take:

Kovalchuk on LA Kings power play improvements of late - "We just started working harder. The first couple games we were just standing still there. Now, we move the puck, we move ourselves, create those lanes, shoot the puck, get rebounds, get the tips in. That's how it works."
Imagine that, the Stevens wasn't telling them to stand around on the power play. The players decided to work harder (probably not a coincidence it coincided with Brown's return to the lineup) and the power play got better.

Here you have Kovalchuk who only recently joined the Kings telling you exactly what is wrong with this club. They only work hard when they feel like it.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Kopitar 6 pts in 14 games. 6th on team. Brown has 5 pts in 4 games and about to pass Kopi and Kopi will be 7th in scoring. And Jack Campbell has only 1 less assist than him. If the Kings are to make the playoffs, Kopi has to be at least 85% of what he was last year. He's far from the player he was last year. WTF?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's literally no reason to think the Kings will or can trade Quick. Even if Campbell was undefeated right now, and had given up no goals, and was the talk of the league and front runner for the Hart and Vezina.

Quick will be 33 in a bit, he's had at least two decent sized injuries in the last 3 years(and this year isn't over yet), his salary doesn't dip below $7m until he's 34, and then he still has 3 additional years at $6m on the cap until he's 37.

If any goalie gets dealt, it will be Campbell. Just like Bernier. Just like Scrivens. Just like Jones. Just like Kuemper. There's no Florida Panthers that have a previous tie with a #1G like Luongo.

If you wanted Quick dealt, it should've been done years ago, before the 10 year retirement contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Imagine that, the Stevens wasn't telling them to stand around on the power play. The players decided to work harder (probably not a coincidence it coincided with Brown's return to the lineup) and the power play got better.

Here you have Kovalchuk who only recently joined the Kings telling you exactly what is wrong with this club. They only work hard when they feel like it.

Probably not but just like some of the other macro-things like cycling and hitting and going to the net a coach can really place extra emphasis on those.

It's one game so I can't call it a 'change' but they were doing things in a polar opposite manner so if it only happens when they feel like it I'd take it as a good thing that Willie D apparently made them feel like it and for the first time in years we were prepared for a 1st period.

I know when I'm coaching sometimes I'll literally just tell a line "if you do one thing next shift, hit someone." It can start that simply.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

sometimes the person telling you to do something is as important as what you're doing, and i think you agree given what you've said about brown

you never had a boss that you had no respect for? sometimes it's hard to motivate yourself to appease them. if willie is the kind of "leader of men" he's touted as, it's a good thing no matter whether he's a better technician than stevens or not. i work with a guy like that, his team respects the f*** out of him because he respects them when no one else does.. guess what they all bust ass for him even if its not fun.

gotta remember, human nature is still a thing whether you're a millionaire athlete or mopping floors

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

If a goalie can make plays that kind of redeems him doesn't it? Besides the saves he was making he was great with the puck. You can't sit here and say that doesn't make up for a couple blunders.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If a goalie can make plays that kind of redeems him doesn't it? Besides the saves he was making he was great with the puck. You can't sit here and say that doesn't make up for a couple blunders.

Depends. How do you feel about Mike Smith?

I'd personally rather not have a 'high-event' goalie.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Speak for yourself. I'll never denigrate any Kings win. - even a game seven 8-0 win in the SCF!

Okay Willie, chill out. There are many ways you can win a game and I get a win is a win regardless to some people.

They played opportunistic and scored. A bit boring.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Depends. How do you feel about Mike Smith?

I'd personally rather not have a 'high-event' goalie.

Dude sucks cause he over plays the puck and isn't a good goalie.

Bur hey, let's try out that logic. Quick is one of the worst goalies I've seen with the puck and pretty much when he plays it he can either lose control of the puck and easily get wrapped, or he can make awful plays to defenseman or hold on way too long. All which leads to goals. He rarely does anything positive with the puck most realistic fans would agree.

I never bashed Quick, my point was if Campbell can keep up and be consistent then he is someone who can possibly replace Quick, and the fact he's able to have an impact on the game with the puck is an added bonus. And if you haven't noticed, Quicks durability isn't good anymore, so talking about a replacement isn't anything you should be going 100% fan boy over.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Hmmm. LA goalies who have lit it up for a period of time but I would not want over Quick

The Professor - looked world class

Budaj - great stats for half a season

Kuemper - big fan of his signing and played very well

Jones - looked great, we knew he would be good but I would still want Quick over him if we hit the playoffs

Not saying Campbell isn’t on the right path or that he won’t be a good goalie. Just saying we have seen this song and dance time and time again with some people very trigger happy to trade Quick. Lots of goalies look great for short stints in LA but I am keeping the guy with an affordable contract and a proven record even if he is starting to get up there in age and has had a freak injury.

Now if we get a young high pedigree guy that Quick is blocking playing time from then we can talk. Just don’t think Campbell or Pederson is there yet.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Any goaltender that can get with in a sniff of the NHL is capable of putting up excellent stats over a short period of time.

A legit number 1 goaltender is capable of putting up solid stats over a long period of time and can recover from the inevitable rough patches. That's the difference between a starter and a backup; it's about the long term.

Campbell playing well shouldn't surprise anyone. For nearly a decade every goalie the Kings have thrown in the net has played well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad