GDT: GM#14 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:30-Willie Era Begins!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
sometimes the person telling you to do something is as important as what you're doing, and i think you agree given what you've said about brown

you never had a boss that you had no respect for? sometimes it's hard to motivate yourself to appease them. if willie is the kind of "leader of men" he's touted as, it's a good thing no matter whether he's a better technician than stevens or not. i work with a guy like that, his team respects the **** out of him because he respects them when no one else does.. guess what they all bust ass for him even if its not fun.

gotta remember, human nature is still a thing whether you're a millionaire athlete or mopping floors
I have had several "bosses" I didn't like or respect. I have had some bad days when I didn't perform well both for bosses I had great respect for and those for which I didn't have much respect.

I never have consistently under performed resulting in my boss getting fired.

I don't expect the players to be perfect or have "it" every night, but the effort of the Kings players has been consistently piss poor for quite some time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Probably not but just like some of the other macro-things like cycling and hitting and going to the net a coach can really place extra emphasis on those.

It's one game so I can't call it a 'change' but they were doing things in a polar opposite manner so if it only happens when they feel like it I'd take it as a good thing that Willie D apparently made them feel like it and for the first time in years we were prepared for a 1st period.

I know when I'm coaching sometimes I'll literally just tell a line "if you do one thing next shift, hit someone." It can start that simply.
I respect your opinion. I am beginning to think Kovalchuk may be a better leader than many of the players who have been in the organization for quiet some time. He seems to care more than some as his performance on the ice would seem to indicate.

Don't go by what I write here, go by what Kovalchuk said. If he thinks they were not working hard enough I trust his judgment.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hmmm. LA goalies who have lit it up for a period of time but I would not want over Quick

The Professor - looked world class

Budaj - great stats for half a season

Kuemper - big fan of his signing and played very well

Jones - looked great, we knew he would be good but I would still want Quick over him if we hit the playoffs

Not saying Campbell isn’t on the right path or that he won’t be a good goalie. Just saying we have seen this song and dance time and time again with some people very trigger happy to trade Quick. Lots of goalies look great for short stints in LA but I am keeping the guy with an affordable contract and a proven record even if he is starting to get up there in age and has had a freak injury.

Now if we get a young high pedigree guy that Quick is blocking playing time from then we can talk. Just don’t think Campbell or Pederson is there yet.

I can understand this position. The only thing everyone can agree on, with Quicks injury problems this makes the situation unique now. Whether people like it or not, Kings have to groom someone to take the reigns from Quick much sooner than later. You can't rely upon a guy who's injury problems are getting much more severe. This isn't like the past where he was younger, and the injuries didn't mean as much.

I was personally surprised that Faust talked about the number one spot being open to take considering the fanboying the commentators do, but even they acknowledged that Quicks starting position is taking applications.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Fans always talk about leadership amongst players, but technically your coach is your leader. He's literally in charge.

When the person in charge says "I don't know". That person shouldn't be in charge any more.

Imagine going to work, the project you're working on isn't going well, and your project manager says he doesn't know why. It's time for a new project manager.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Any goaltender that can get with in a sniff of the NHL is capable of putting up excellent stats over a short period of time.

A legit number 1 goaltender is capable of putting up solid stats over a long period of time and can recover from the inevitable rough patches. That's the difference between a starter and a backup; it's about the long term.

Campbell playing well shouldn't surprise anyone. For nearly a decade every goalie the Kings have thrown in the net has played well.

Exactly.

For every Jonathan Quick, Miikaa Kiprusoff that can play 60-70 games, there are guys like Brian Elliott who can be elite for 40 games yearly then turn into a f***ing pumpkin seemingly overnight.

I have serious questions about Campbell's consistency and my real qualm is for people who are in such a hurry to move on from Quick to be criticizing Jonathan but exalting Jack when the real question about Campbell has always been his mental game. I'd love to see him put it together. easy dude to root for and it seems his teammates love him.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Kopitar 6 pts in 14 games. 6th on team. Brown has 5 pts in 4 games and about to pass Kopi and Kopi will be 7th in scoring. And Jack Campbell has only 1 less assist than him. If the Kings are to make the playoffs, Kopi has to be at least 85% of what he was last year. He's far from the player he was last year. WTF?

yes, his production suxxx so far in 18-19.

on the other hand, his toi is almost 2 minutes per game above his career avg, and that's counterproductive.

also his +/- is 0, best in team.

lak +/- this season:

Player GP P +/-
Anze Kopitar 13 6 0
Dustin Brown 4 5 0
Kyle Clifford 12 2 0
Derek Forbort 13 2 0
Paul LaDue 5 1 0
Matt Luff 2 0 0
Jake Muzzin 14 3 -1
Alex Iafallo 14 8 -2
Alec Martinez 14 5 -2
Nate Thompson 14 0 -3
Oscar Fantenberg 6 0 -3
Tyler Toffoli 14 9 -4
Jeff Carter 14 10 -5
Adrian Kempe 14 2 -5
Michael Amadio 9 1 -5
Ilya Kovalchuk 14 14 -6
Drew Doughty 14 10 -6
Trevor Lewis 14 3 -7
Tanner Pearson 14 1 -7
Dion Phaneuf 14 0 -11

he must wake up, asap, but it wasn't as bad as the production stats alone suggest.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Exactly.

For every Jonathan Quick, Miikaa Kiprusoff that can play 60-70 games, there are guys like Brian Elliott who can be elite for 40 games yearly then turn into a ****ing pumpkin seemingly overnight.

I have serious questions about Campbell's consistency and my real qualm is for people who are in such a hurry to move on from Quick to be criticizing Jonathan but exalting Jack when the real question about Campbell has always been his mental game. I'd love to see him put it together. easy dude to root for and it seems his teammates love him.

Yeah, hence if he can consistently be good is the only way he can take starting position. Beginning of the season my biggest problem with Jack was that he's extremely inconsistent. Whether that was lack of confidence or skill, I couldn't tell you.

Jack might fold too, who knows. It's likely.. But if he's consistent and grows his game from here on out he can maybe take it.

The fact remains, the fact the commentators said that starting position is open means that they're looking to replace Quick sooner rather than later.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
and about those +/- numbers: **** happens with phaneuf on ice.

Phaneuf certainly needs to be better, but let's also not forget that his most common partners are the rotating 7th d-man--Fantenberg, Forbort, Walker (whose GA/60 is a whopping 7.94, 3-4 times as much as anyone else and literally up there with worst in the league).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Exactly.

For every Jonathan Quick, Miikaa Kiprusoff that can play 60-70 games, there are guys like Brian Elliott who can be elite for 40 games yearly then turn into a ****ing pumpkin seemingly overnight.

Yeah playing goaltender in the NHL is very mentally taxing.

If a skater has a bad night it's not that big of a deal. If a goalie has a bad night you lose the game. You're on the ice for 60 minutes and have to maintain a high degree of concentration almost the whole time. One lapse and the puck is in the net. It's very mentally fatiguing over the long haul. Plus a goalie's mistakes are constantly under the microscope.

That's why I've always said that Osgood is underrated. He played in TONS of high pressure situations. While Manny Legace put up better numbers (and has better career stats overall) there's a reason Detroit kept going back to Osgood.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Phaneuf certainly needs to be better, but let's also not forget that his most common partners are the rotating 7th d-man--Fantenberg, Forbort, Walker (whose GA/60 is a whopping 7.94, 3-4 times as much as anyone else and literally up there with worst in the league).

true. phaneuf, he's basically babysitting. also, notice -6 by kovy on +/- , and that can also be explained in similar terms.

it's a bit too early for stats though, i'd like to have at least 20-25 games to dig into the numbers and get my hands real dirty. for now i'll just try compare willie vs stevens for a few weeks, that should give some insight.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Any goaltender that can get with in a sniff of the NHL is capable of putting up excellent stats over a short period of time.

A legit number 1 goaltender is capable of putting up solid stats over a long period of time and can recover from the inevitable rough patches. That's the difference between a starter and a backup; it's about the long term.

Campbell playing well shouldn't surprise anyone. For nearly a decade every goalie the Kings have thrown in the net has played well.

in before LaBarbera.

Remember when we had to keep him in L.A. because if we tried to send him to Manchester on waivers, EVERY NHL club would want our prize goalie.

Good ******* times, indeed?!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
in before LaBarbera.

Remember when we had to keep him in L.A. because if we tried to send him to Manchester on waivers, EVERY NHL club would want our prize goalie.

Good ******* times, indeed?!
Well I did say nearly a decade, but guys like LaBarbera and Garon illustrate my point. We've seen both of them put up good numbers over short periods. There's also DaFoe, Huet, Cechmanek, Fiset, Storr

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
yes, his production suxxx so far in 18-19.

on the other hand, his toi is almost 2 minutes per game above his career avg, and that's counterproductive.

also his +/- is 0, best in team.

lak +/- this season:

Player GP P +/-
Anze Kopitar 13 6 0
Dustin Brown 4 5 0
Kyle Clifford 12 2 0
Derek Forbort 13 2 0
Paul LaDue 5 1 0
Matt Luff 2 0 0
Jake Muzzin 14 3 -1
Alex Iafallo 14 8 -2
Alec Martinez 14 5 -2
Nate Thompson 14 0 -3
Oscar Fantenberg 6 0 -3
Tyler Toffoli 14 9 -4
Jeff Carter 14 10 -5
Adrian Kempe 14 2 -5
Michael Amadio 9 1 -5
Ilya Kovalchuk 14 14 -6
Drew Doughty 14 10 -6
Trevor Lewis 14 3 -7
Tanner Pearson 14 1 -7
Dion Phaneuf 14 0 -11

he must wake up, asap, but it wasn't as bad as the production stats alone suggest.
No, it's pretty bad. It's his every other season hibernation schedule.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They responded to the firing as they should have. Let's see how long they can keep up that momentum.

On the other side, that was the softest game against the Kings that I've seen the Ducks play since 2012. Carlyle has to be on his way out very soon. That team is over it.
Yeah, the Ducks are going to give a poor effort until Carlyle is fired. This is why guaranteed contracts for players suck.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
yes, it is bad. but it's also too early to make conclusions about the season, it only started.
It's two weeks until Thanksgiving. Teams that are not in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving usually are not in a playoff spot at the end of the season. The Kings are #30 in the NHL. They better get a move on.

I am sure Kopitar will have a hot streak at some point to make his numbers look respectable. Unfortunately for the Kings it will be in games which have little or no significance.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
It's two weeks until Thanksgiving. Teams that are not in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving usually are not in a playoff spot at the end of the season. The Kings are #30 in the NHL. They better get a move on.

I am sure Kopitar will have a hot streak at some point to make his numbers look respectable. Unfortunately for the Kings it will be in games which have little or no significance.

me i'm optimistic about lak getting into the playoffs. will check the odds, must be value now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad