GDT: GM#12 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @7:30 pm 11/1/18

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I still hate seeing them lose dont get me wrong, I'm hoping for blowout losses though hoping to expedite changes. I'm not content with a bubble playoff team. If they were losing a lot but showed life in the games it would be completely different. I loved seeing kovys blast on the pp last game. Brown showed grit. But honestly this team is just depressing. It's obvious they need a lot to change in order to become contenders again.

I thought that blast could have killed Brown if it hit him, Kovy got so much on that, that was going through the goalie...

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Honest question, how does that work? When you watch the games, do you celebrate when the other teams score? Are you let down if the Kings win?

I celebrate when the Kings have a good shift, but any one game doesn’t determine my outlook on the team.

We’re reliving the Dave Taylor era, where management has to paper over flaws because of player salary related issues. Our only hope of seeing a contender in the next 10 years may hinge on a 2 year lockout that removes the hard cap.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Wouldn't it be more fun to just cheer on the team then? If they lose, you are happy because they get closer to a good pick, if they win... well your team wins. I get the concept of people wanting to tank, but with the lottery, other teams sucking and the variance of prospects, you never know what tanking will end up getting you.
Winger said it best above. I don't want the Kings to be a bubble team for the 5th straight season. I want to see as much change as possible, so that we right this ship. One of the biggest changes that can happen, is the Kings getting a top-3 pick. The Kings stinking it up, expedites changes.

Yes, the lottery and all that, but if we finish with 80-85 pts, it's more of the same of season's past (you can throw in a couple first round playoff exits in there), essentially, and another middling first round pick.

I still cheer on the team. Maybe I do it differently than you. I'm generally optimistic, but it's pretty apparent to me that this Kings team is DOA

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wouldn't it be more fun to just cheer on the team then? If they lose, you are happy because they get closer to a good pick, if they win... well your team wins. I get the concept of people wanting to tank, but with the lottery, other teams sucking and the variance of prospects, you never know what tanking will end up getting you.
...but we do know what this is getting us as fans. It's an unwatchable product. I am happy to cheer the Kings on again when they get serious about rebuilding for contention again, and we have some young talented players on the roster busting their butts to try and figure it out.

I will always cheer on my favorite individual players, but some of them, meh.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
just put 250 eur on lak to win in regular time, @2.360. funny, the whole discussion here tonight was the only reason for the bet, before reading the comments here i was considering it's a flip of a coin. but the bears are just too shy tonight. and if lak wins i'll go to the first open bar and offer a drink to everyone.

i'm here long enough to deeply understand that this forum has a cosmic antenna flowing somewhere above our silly heads. somehow it's predictable. and our la kings will win tonight.

do come for a drink after the game.

gkg!

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I can’t actively cheer for loses. I am significantly less pissed off by them this year.

If they aren’t gonna make the playoffs, a top two pick and interesting deadline is all I am asking for. Not much really ;)

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
just put 250 eur on lak to win in regular time, @2.360. funny, the whole discussion here tonight was the only reason for the bet, before reading the comments here i was considering it's a flip of a coin. but the bears are just too shy tonight. and if lak wins i'll go to the first open bar and offer a drink to everyone.

i'm here long enough to deeply understand that this forum has a cosmic antenna flowing somewhere above our silly heads. somehow it's predictable. and our la kings will win tonight.

do come for a drink after the game.

gkg!

Yeah, I too have that disgusting feeling that the Kings will win today. Yuck.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wish the draft system didn't reward teams for losing, that way I could still root for my team to win.

Reactions: Winger23

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here are my feelings.

I always want the Kings to win. Every game. I love the Kings and want to see them succeed every day.

But in the past, I used to get upset when they lost. I used to get pissed. Now I just look at it as "I hope Blake sees all that is wrong and is planning to make changes." I used to literally turn off games because I was so upset that I needed to do something else. Plus I didn't want to get in such a lousy mood that I would be unpleasant around my girlfriend.

I'm sure some of it is simply growing up, but I just do not get upset when the Kings lose. I still follow them, but I also watch the prospects currently in the system and look forward to the upcoming draft. The present certainly sucks, so why not try to get excited about the future?

I would like the Kings to be perennial contenders every year, like the Penguins or more recently the Lightning (even though I do feel Yzerman is overrated, they have drafted well). I also have a great deal of respect for Carolina's scouting and development staff.

The Kings are lacking in every department right now, though. So I am begrudgingly accepting of a loss if it will lead to changes, even though I can't in my heart cheer for a loss.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Here are my feelings.

I always want the Kings to win. Every game. I love the Kings and want to see them succeed every day.

But in the past, I used to get upset when they lost. I used to get pissed. Now I just look at it as "I hope Blake sees all that is wrong and is planning to make changes." I used to literally turn off games because I was so upset that I needed to do something else. Plus I didn't want to get in such a lousy mood that I would be unpleasant around my girlfriend.

I'm sure some of it is simply growing up, but I just do not get upset when the Kings lose. I still follow them, but I also watch the prospects currently in the system and look forward to the upcoming draft. The present certainly sucks, so why not try to get excited about the future?

I would like the Kings to be perennial contenders every year, like the Penguins or more recently the Lightning (even though I do feel Yzerman is overrated, they have drafted well). I also have a great deal of respect for Carolina's scouting and development staff.

The Kings are lacking in every department right now, though. So I am begrudgingly accepting of a loss if it will lead to changes, even though I can't in my heart cheer for a loss.

I feel pretty similar, especially the first part of your post. I used to get really pissed off after being scored on/losses but now i can accept it much better. I think its a combination of growing up and also having lost some of the edge by winning 2 cups. I will never cheer for them to lose, every day there is a game on i'm excited all day for it, even when we are in a horrible slump or are just plain terrible. I don't know if that part of my personality and devotion (if you want to call it that) will ever go away. Sometimes it annoys me that i will be looking forward to a game all day only for them to play terrible and get killed (or the game is super boring), and i wonder am I mad at the team? or am I actually mad at myself for not find a much more productive use of my time and enthusiasm.

I'll tell you one thing, I've been having a shot (usually a half shot of vodka mixed with some vitamin water these days) every time the kings score.
I will have a full shot of vodka or jack under a few conditions.
1. A kings player gets their first NHL goal.
2. A kings player gets a hat trick
3. The goalie gets a shutout (I don't always do this one)
4. The kings score but the game has been so damn boring that i want an excuse to have a full shot instead of a half

These rules make the game much more fun, i also have gained a lot of weight and hate myself most mornings after high (for the kings that would be 2) scoring games.

I'm not cheering for them to lose, but im ok with it and i do think it will help spark some much needed changes. I'm still holding on to that little sliver of hope that they will somehow turn it around and get super hot and do 2012 all over again :)

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Drew+Doughty+Wayne+Simmonds+Colorado+Avalanche+G0DgFwIzBJcl.jpg

Go Simmonds!

Reactions: Dooney

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I feel pretty similar, especially the first part of your post. I used to get really pissed off after being scored on/losses but now i can accept it much better. I think its a combination of growing up and also having lost some of the edge by winning 2 cups. I will never cheer for them to lose, every day there is a game on i'm excited all day for it, even when we are in a horrible slump or are just plain terrible. I don't know if that part of my personality and devotion (if you want to call it that) will ever go away. Sometimes it annoys me that i will be looking forward to a game all day only for them to play terrible and get killed (or the game is super boring), and i wonder am I mad at the team? or am I actually mad at myself for not find a much more productive use of my time and enthusiasm.

I'll tell you one thing, I've been having a shot (usually a half shot of vodka mixed with some vitamin water these days) every time the kings score.
I will have a full shot of vodka or jack under a few conditions.

1. A kings player gets their first NHL goal.
2. A kings player gets a hat trick
3. The goalie gets a shutout (I don't always do this one)
4. The kings score but the game has been so damn boring that i want an excuse to have a full shot instead of a half

These rules make the game much more fun, i also have gained a lot of weight and hate myself most mornings after high (for the kings that would be 2) scoring games.

I'm not cheering for them to lose, but im ok with it and i do think it will help spark some much needed changes. I'm still holding on to that little sliver of hope that they will somehow turn it around and get super hot and do 2012 all over again :)

That's one slow-ass way to get drunk. :)

Reactions: King Trouty

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
:D
I'm always gonna cheer for players I like.

There is no stopping me!

I don't understand the love for Simmonds he had a small stint as a King and has been a flyer most of his career.

The boner people have for Simmonds is lost on me.

I'll stop you:DD

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
:D

I don't understand the love for Simmonds he had a small stint as a King and has been a flyer most of his career.

The ***** people have for Simmonds is lost on me.

I'll stop you:DD

everytime someone mentions Simmonds
i get a huge boner in my pants

Reactions: lumbergh

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
bird legs!

My favorite Simmonds story...a poster on LGK was at rookie camp and this young man walked up to him and asked him "where do the players report?" and he was shocked, because he was
skinny and had bird legs and that it couldn't possibly be a player...it was Wayne Simmonds. The poster didn;t know it was him at first...was Wayne's first rookie camp. They even look super skinny in that photo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad