GDT: GM#12 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @7:30 pm 11/1/18

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I find it amusing because the more they win, the more pissed off the doom and gloom become....

Come on, you know everyone here wants the team to be successful.

Sutter used to say it's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you're winning or losing...it's not as if these have been competitive games that we deserve and can see the light at the end of the tunnel; we've been awful all over the ice, and our only wins have been ugly/lucky at best. There's not one loss that I look at and go 'man, we really deserved that one, things are looking up.' The process has been as ugly as the results. Both matter, but both are hurting.

Brown also had another nice acknowledgment, about streaks. Sometimes towards the end of a winning streak you're winning games you shouldn't, and at the end of a losing streak you're looking better but trending up. I don't see any of that positive. The Rangers game I admitted I didn't watch all of but I didn't see anything different other than an opposing team as sloppy as us.

Winning against 2 of the 5 worst teams in the NHL isn't some crazy encouraging sign that you're making it out to be. If the process started matching, like I said above, you'd see me at least step away from the criticism for a minute--but if win games in spite of ourselves and of Stevens, that's not good. We'd just be cruising for 80 points and a black hole.

But if you get off on watching realists heap realistic, supportable criticism, I guess you're in the right place.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Come on, you know everyone here wants the team to be successful.

Sutter used to say it's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you're winning or losing...it's not as if these have been competitive games that we deserve and can see the light at the end of the tunnel; we've been awful all over the ice, and our only wins have been ugly/lucky at best. There's not one loss that I look at and go 'man, we really deserved that one, things are looking up.' The process has been as ugly as the results. Both matter, but both are hurting.

Brown also had another nice acknowledgment, about streaks. Sometimes towards the end of a winning streak you're winning games you shouldn't, and at the end of a losing streak you're looking better but trending up. I don't see any of that positive. The Rangers game I admitted I didn't watch all of but I didn't see anything different other than an opposing team as sloppy as us.

Winning against 2 of the 5 worst teams in the NHL isn't some crazy encouraging sign that you're making it out to be. If the process started matching, like I said above, you'd see me at least step away from the criticism for a minute--but if win games in spite of ourselves and of Stevens, that's not good. We'd just be cruising for 80 points and a black hole.

But if you get off on watching realists heap realistic, supportable criticism, I guess you're in the right place.

You get me wrong, I just find it hilarious that the more they win, the more certain posters will bitch and moan and kick their dogs.....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You get me wrong, I just find it hilarious that the more they win, the more certain posters will ***** and moan and kick their dogs.....

Because cheering for a mediocre team is the best. Give it up for mediocrity. There’s nothing more exciting that going to games and paying for overpriced tickets to watch an average product. A product that’s so boring, you’d think you were inside of a public library.

Fans who want this team to play better are so misguided. I find it hilarious how much you are fixated with what others think. I see that stick is still lodged far up your ass. Maybe someday you’ll find a way to remove it.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not sure if this game is 2 teams w/no motivation and playing disinterested in a 1-0 game or that same lack of luster gets a 6-5 game w/o defense.

The Flyers did look better vs the Ducks but then the Ducks are the Ducks...so I didn't put too much stock into that.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Because cheering for a mediocre team is the best. Give it up for mediocrity. There’s nothing more exciting that going to games and paying for overpriced tickets to watch an average product. A product that’s so boring, you’d think you were inside of a public library.

Fans who want this team to play better are so misguided. I find it hilarious how much you are fixated with what others think. I see that stick is still lodged far up your ass. Maybe someday you’ll find a way to remove it.

LOL Ziggy, I give a rat's ass what anyone thinks...hence I guess why I still post here..... but again, I don't find hockey boring....I guess you do.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I find hockey exciting but “Kings” hockey is boring even when they’re winning.

I swear, the Kings probably practice offense exclusively facing the boards.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don’t find hockey boring when I’m watching a competent team on the ice. What the Kings attempt to do on the other hand...

LOL yea, you are falling into Sol area, trying to judge what is competent and what isn't....probably just better to sit back, relax, and enjoy the game and its nuances...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I find hockey exciting but “Kings” hockey is boring even when they’re winning.

I swear, the Kings probably practice offense exclusively facing the boards.

Line up along the ice guys, practice your shots, you know your old when you remember practices like that....

But I agree, there are plenty of times where they can drive the net, and they shy away for another cycle or try to get it high etc, even Kopitar, last game, came out from behind the net, had the space to drive it, went high circle and pitched it back behind the net....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LOL yea, you are falling into Sol area, trying to judge what is competent and what isn't....probably just better to sit back, relax, and enjoy the game and its nuances...

It’s not grinding teeth to call the team that is the worst offensively a boring team to watch. Crossing the opponent’s blueline while in possession of the puck is a major hurdle for this tired, old squad. But it seems you’re just fine with this below average product. And that’s fine and dandy if you enjoy that kind of crap. I’m just not going to look down upon others as you tend to do.

Just let us know when you’ll start planning the parade for when this team strings together a winning streak. Remember what those were like?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You get me wrong, I just find it hilarious that the more they win, the more certain posters will ***** and moan and kick their dogs.....

I'd argue it depends on 'how' they win, because if they do it enough to start sniffing the ass end of .500, that likely means they're playing better as well.

But again, should they win tonight, their 'streak' is against two teams with a combined -22...65 GF, 89GA in 24 games. Hardly encouraging.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
LOL Ziggy, I give a rat's ass what anyone thinks...hence I guess why I still post here..... but again, I don't find hockey boring....I guess you do.

Bullshit. You care very much cause you keep posting the shit to different people everyday. If you dont care then there's no reason to be on a message board. You already know more than everyone else so it's not like you are capable of learning anything here.

Reactions: Dooney

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s not grinding teeth to call the team that is the worst offensively a boring team to watch. Crossing the opponent’s blueline while in possession of the puck is a major hurdle for this tired, old squad. But it seems you’re just fine with this below average product. And that’s fine and dandy if you enjoy that kind of crap. I’m just not going to look down upon others as you tend to do.

Just let us know when you’ll start planning the parade for when this team strings together a winning streak. Remember what those were like?

significantly worse, at that. Here, I'll pull a couple of stats: 22GF is 5 less than 2nd to last. That's awful. GF/60 of 1.99 (last). GA/60 of 3.53 (24th). 25th in scoring chances for per 60. 26th in high-danger corsi for/60. I remember when we were eschewing quality for quantity, now we have neither.

We also have the worst PDO in the league, but no one is going to feel for bad 'luck' when you aren't getting quality chances and you aren't supporting your goalie. That's not artificially low like it was a few years back, that's engineered by play.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
i know one thing. kings will be doomed when some posters here start cheering for them again. until then it's fine, normal.

but when the guys who are now rooting against them make a u-turn and become sympathetic, then it's really f***ed up.

just keep going. gkg!

Reactions: crassbonanza

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I love it when fellow fans tell us how we should root for our team, or what a "real fan" is, or are concerned for our health.

I'm doing just fine, myself. Lose for Hughes!

Honest question, how does that work? When you watch the games, do you celebrate when the other teams score? Are you let down if the Kings win?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Yes, because two wins against lottery-tanking rebuilding bottom-feeders isn't the antidote to anything.

Feel free to cheer for a victory, but gloating because the 31st-place team in the nhl beat two other lottery teams and 2 of the 3 lowest goal differentials in the league is definitely maniacal in context with everything else.

personally i'm not at all happy with the win against the Rangers because it placated the current management team into thinking everything is fine.

Now, if they utterly dominate this game and win 4-0 or something? I'll take note. But another narrow, lucky squeaker? Barf.

I don't agree with the bolded. Management is well aware of the context of the game, and where the team is truly at. You could argue they hope it placates the fans, but I don't think they're near that naive, either.

Sometimes I get the impression that some posters (not you, to be clear) fear saying anything positive about the team on a hockey forum will be read by management and encourage them to stay the course - that those posts have to be drowned out by more negative posts that will hold management's feet to the fire or something.

I for one think we can cheer the occasional bit of good play - or good luck - here while still remaining sober about the team's larger issues.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Honest question, how does that work? When you watch the games, do you celebrate when the other teams score? Are you let down if the Kings win?

I cant speak for him, but I cant watch but part of the game. When the kings score I still get excited, and just shake my head and do a sarcastic chuckle when they get scored on.

I have to keep telling myself them losing will be worth it in the long run.

They have been so boring so far that I watch the start of the game, but then turn it off after they give up the first goal. I record all the games and end up fast forwarding later until something interesting happens.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Sure, you gonna attend? I'm just fine with watching NHL hockey, absolutely, why aren't you? Is it that it's not good unless your team wins is that it?

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I am saddened by this season. When the other team scores/wins it hurts.

With that said, I'm willing to deal with the short term pain in exchange for happiness that comes with the long term health of our franchise by potentially landing a franchise-altering pick.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'd argue it depends on 'how' they win, because if they do it enough to start sniffing the ass end of .500, that likely means they're playing better as well.

But again, should they win tonight, their 'streak' is against two teams with a combined -22...65 GF, 89GA in 24 games. Hardly encouraging.

To a point, how they win, sure, vs the Rangers, a win is a win is a win, it's a step in the right direction, what I find funny is that people again, oh ya they won, but it's a shit team etc....no such thing in the league anymore, and yet people still are stuck on that, this isn't the 80's where were were doormat teams....the parity around the league is so good, that a 3rd liner on one team, is a 1st liner on another team, or a 4th Dman can be a 2nd Dman etc, the difference between talent levels between the players is so razor then it's incredible.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I cant speak for him, but I cant watch but part of the game. When the kings score I still get excited, and just shake my head and do a sarcastic chuckle when they get scored on.

I have to keep telling myself them losing will be worth it in the long run.

They have been so boring so far that I watch the start of the game, but then turn it off after they give up the first goal. I record all the games and end up fast forwarding later until something interesting happens.

Thanks for your answer.

I do agree the season so far has been a bit dull, but it has had some interesting aspects. I have been most intrigued by seeing the players respond to the early season calamity, Kovalchuk in particular has shown flashes of trying to will the team to victory. I think there is still interesting elements and for me personally hoping that they lose would make them less intriguing. I do definitely see where you are coming from though.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Thanks for your answer.

I do agree the season so far has been a bit dull, but it has had some interesting aspects. I have been most intrigued by seeing the players respond to the early season calamity, Kovalchuk in particular has shown flashes of trying to will the team to victory. I think there is still interesting elements and for me personally hoping that they lose would make them less intriguing. I do definitely see where you are coming from though.

I still hate seeing them lose dont get me wrong, I'm hoping for blowout losses though hoping to expedite changes. I'm not content with a bubble playoff team. If they were losing a lot but showed life in the games it would be completely different. I loved seeing kovys blast on the pp last game. Brown showed grit. But honestly this team is just depressing. It's obvious they need a lot to change in order to become contenders again.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I am saddened by this season. When the other team scores/wins it hurts.

With that said, I'm willing to deal with the short term pain in exchange for happiness that comes with the long term health of our franchise by potentially landing a franchise-altering pick.

Wouldn't it be more fun to just cheer on the team then? If they lose, you are happy because they get closer to a good pick, if they win... well your team wins. I get the concept of people wanting to tank, but with the lottery, other teams sucking and the variance of prospects, you never know what tanking will end up getting you.

Reactions: mrkolice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad