Pre-Game Talk: GM 1: Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks - Wed, May 1 - 7:30PM PST - TSN (PT 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Would prefer Ballard in Ebbett's spot, but Ebbett does bring some advantages despite the hate he gets. Just having a second centerman on the 4th line could be advantageous, and it allows us to shuffle Roy around if need be.

If ebbett was good at faceoffs i would say yes, but he is not. I suppose it does allow us to shuffle roy though but im not sure if that was actually av's plan or thought process going into this decision. Ebbett as a center for our 4th has been getting destroyed the last few games.

I would much rather have another physical presence on the wing either sesstito or pinizzotto, but its my preference I prefer a physical hitting 4th line.

I really dont know what pinizzotto did to piss av off as a 4th liner during the dallas game, I think he got scratched after dallas and I thought he was one of the only players trying and putting effort in that game, as well as being physical.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ya, they have more $$ sitting inactive this yr than Canucks (not counting injured players). Hate for the Canucks to be compared to the Leafs and their management....yowsa.

It's tough seeing that much $$ in dead cap space for a team who's looking to win the Cup. The Luongo $$ I understand - and am grateful they did. But Ballards $4.2M has really been dead cap space for the last 3 seasons. In the biggest game in franchise history they had it sitting in the pressbox while they iced a back end held together with ducttape. I would probably eat my tongue if he's not bought out or traded this summer.

Booth/Malhotra were injured long before trade deadline. Canucks knew they weren't getting either back. I'm curious why they didn't spend their cap space on new players.

On who? They tried for Roy & Clowe that we know off. They probably tried for more that we don't.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Not sure what you're talking about. Drafting/developing has nothing to do with nearly $10M of cap space not playing in game 1 of the playoffs tomorrow.

Well if they did not draft and develop Schneider then Luongo would not be on the bench in game 1, this fan base seems to find a way to ***** about every thing, even success.

And what player should we have traded Luongo and Ballard for that was going to help in this series? Or would it have been better to have 10M in shiny draft picks?

Last edited:

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
Well if they did not draft and develop Schneider then Luongo would not be on the bench in game 1, this fan base seems to find a way to ***** about every thing, even success.

And what player should we have traded Luongo and Ballard for that was going to help in this series? Or would it have been better to have 10M in shiny draft picks?

I think you're trying to paint a picture with one broad stroke.

I wasn't crapping on anything. I was simply pointing out they had $10M in cap space not playing tomorrow - and that it was more than any NHL playoff team. A poster pointed out Toronto leads this category, not Canucks. Any time a team, like the Canucks, is trying to win the cup - $10M in dead cap space isn't ideal. Given the cap is going down in 3 months, it's even less than ideal not to make use of it this season. But here's reality, $10M in dead cap space. C'est la Vie.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think you're trying to paint a picture with one broad stroke.

I wasn't crapping on anything. I was simply pointing out they had $10M in cap space not playing tomorrow - and that it was more than any NHL playoff team. A poster pointed out Toronto leads this category, not Canucks. Any time a team, like the Canucks, is trying to win the cup - $10M in dead cap space isn't ideal. Given the cap is going down in 3 months, it's even less than ideal not to make use of it this season. But here's reality, $10M in dead cap space. C'est la Vie.

That is one way to look at, anther is that we have a team that has so many good players in a couple of key positions that it pushes good NHL guys all the way to the bench.

It is also not dead cap space since there is no cap in the playoffs, and we used the whole cap to put the best possible team together our money could buy, who is the player we would have got if we had the cap space? Lack of cap space did not stop us getting anyone.

And we have an owner that is willing to spend to the cap, and by all accounts willing to have $10M on the bench, other teams don't even spend to the cap, that is cap space that is not even spent, a real waste, also there is a very good chance we use these two guys in the playoffs, so really it is very positive IMO.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
They could have true, but to what end, unless there was a player to use the extra cap space on, or we get a peace back that would be playing, but was that an option?

I'm pretty sure they could have spent the 4.2 million on someone that would be in the lineup, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad