Pre-Game Talk: GM 1: Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks - Wed, May 1 - 7:30PM PST - TSN (PT 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I like what the Blues are doing; they are negating the Kings' puck-possession game by moving the puck out quickly, and the Blues have a nice mix of speed, skill and size to keep giving the Kings different looks.

I think that's the kind of game plan that the Canucks need to employ. As long as the Canucks actually show up motivated and ready to play, it's going to be a competitive series. I think it's important to note that our depth players are average in size at best.

?

Our 4th line could/should be bigger than the Blues...

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
So, ugh, Canucks will have $17M in cap space not playing in tomorrows game 1 (Booth, Manny, Luongo, Ballard). That's absolutely crazy.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Tonight's kings/blues game is a damn good example of why I didn't want to play the Blues in the first round. What a game.

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
Booth and Manny are injured. Luongo and Ballard are the big wasters. Not really their fault.

Luongo and Ballard are nearly $10M in cap space they're not using for game 1. I highly doubt any other NHL playoff cap team has $10M of cap space sitting inactive for game 1. Doubt any other NHL playoff cap has 1/2 that sitting inactive for gm 1.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Looking forward to the game, but I'm going to lose my mind if the Canucks go back to the "skate it to center and dump it in" attack. Fingers crossed.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Luongo and Ballard are nearly $10M in cap space they're not using for game 1. I highly doubt any other NHL playoff cap team has $10M of cap space sitting inactive for game 1. Doubt any other NHL playoff cap has 1/2 that sitting inactive for gm 1.

That is because the Canucks are a victim of there own success, Drafting and developing Schneider, and getting Hammer and Gary as UFAs. Have other teams done that?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Well, the Luongo saga is self-explanatory. Ballard is Ballard. Vigneault is Vigneault.

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
That is because the Canucks are a victim of there own success, Drafting and developing Schneider, and getting Hammer and Gary as UFAs. Have other teams done that?

Not sure what you're talking about. Drafting/developing has nothing to do with nearly $10M of cap space not playing in game 1 of the playoffs tomorrow.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm pretty surprised they don't go with Ballard and Alberts together. They played really, really well together before Ballard got hurt.

The coaches must really be impressed with Corrado.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Would prefer Ballard in Ebbett's spot, but Ebbett does bring some advantages despite the hate he gets. Just having a second centerman on the 4th line could be advantageous, and it allows us to shuffle Roy around if need be.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

Check Toronto and there buyouts, buried players and retained salary players. Then add in there back up tender as you have done for the Canucks and it totals more than 13 million. You can't count injured players, that's just part of the game.

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
Check Toronto and there buyouts, buried players and retained salary players. Then add in there back up tender as you have done for the Canucks and it totals more than 13 million. You can't count injured players, that's just part of the game.

Ya, they have more $$ sitting inactive this yr than Canucks (not counting injured players). Hate for the Canucks to be compared to the Leafs and their management....yowsa.

It's tough seeing that much $$ in dead cap space for a team who's looking to win the Cup. The Luongo $$ I understand - and am grateful they did. But Ballards $4.2M has really been dead cap space for the last 3 seasons. In the biggest game in franchise history they had it sitting in the pressbox while they iced a back end held together with ducttape. I would probably eat my tongue if he's not bought out or traded this summer.

Booth/Malhotra were injured long before trade deadline. Canucks knew they weren't getting either back. I'm curious why they didn't spend their cap space on new players.

Last edited:

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Ya, they have more $$ sitting inactive this yr than Canucks (not counting injured players). Hate for the Canucks to be compared to the Leafs and their management....yowsa.

It's tough seeing that much $$ in dead cap space for a team who's looking to win the Cup. The Luongo $$ I understand - and am grateful they did. But Ballards $4.2M has really been dead cap space for the last 3 seasons. In the biggest game in franchise history they had it sitting in the pressbox while they iced a back end held together with ducttape. I would probably eat my tongue if he's not bought out or traded this summer.

Booth/Malhotra were injured long before trade deadline. Canucks knew they weren't getting either back. I'm curious why they didn't spend their cap space on new players.

They tried to get Clowe and Torres for sure and probably more. You can't always get what you want ;)

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Booth's LTIR space was used to fit Roy in.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
What are our lines looking like now?

My dream:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Roy
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Kassian
^(Sub Weise in if he's healthy)

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Corrado
Alberts-Bieksa
(when Tanev's in it will look a lot nicer)

Schnu/Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad