Pre-Game Talk: GM 1: Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames - Wed, Oct 8th - 7:00PM PST - SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
@RogMillions: Gaudreau Colborne Byron, Glencross Monahan Hudler, Bouma Backlund Raymond, Bollig Stajan McGrattan

That looks bad but if this team doesn't actually turn the ship around, ours looks worse.

Here's hoping we don't start where we left off or do and win the lotto, I have drinks and I'm easy with either outcome.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
@RogMillions: Gaudreau Colborne Byron, Glencross Monahan Hudler, Bouma Backlund Raymond, Bollig Stajan McGrattan

it's not that comical if you read that as the 3rd line, 1st line, 2nd line, then 4th line right? still not a strong team obviously, but i think what most of you are reacting to is just the shock value of pretending that johnny go go and some other guy i've never heard of with a draft bust who couldn't stick on the leafs between them are a first line.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I think Flames are a much better organization overall. Looking at them more warily long term.

I agree, they look much better setup for the future. One thing they have that the Oilers don't is a top pairing defenseman. If they can solidify their goaltending over the next 2-3 seasons, they should be challenging for the playoffs.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
This is the most excited give been for a season since 2010-2011.

Going on Saturday to the home opener . I have a feeling we will see a re energized crowd at the arena.

Just hoping for a team that will play hard , be entertaining and fight for a playoff spot.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
This is the most excited give been for a season since 2010-2011.

Going on Saturday to the home opener . I have a feeling we will see a re energized crowd at the arena.

Just hoping for a team that will play hard , be entertaining and fight for a playoff spot.

:handclap:

I'm all about the beginning of this season. Seems like a fresh start for the first time in years.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Flames are a much better organization overall. Looking at them more warily long term.

It's funny how quickly the Flames went from the poster boy organization for "mediocrity and middling futility", to "potentially scary up and comers".

Maybe trying to remain competitive isn't such a horrible thing after all. :D

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
First time in a long time I miss the opener...luckily I know Pearl Jam will put on a hell of a show to compensate.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Samething was said last year... And we started off good and that season turned into a major train wreak.

Well maybe I like to be a bit optimistic. Last season was different though. It felt like Torts was brought in to stop the bleeding and instead caused hemorrhaging. New coach with a more fitting system, new management, new mentality. I'm not saying we're off to the finals this year. But I feel like this season will be miles more exciting than last year. It'll be fun to be in the mix.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I agree, they look much better setup for the future. One thing they have that the Oilers don't is a top pairing defenseman. If they can solidify their goaltending over the next 2-3 seasons, they should be challenging for the playoffs.

Gio also would command a huge return due to his gift of a contract. So even if Calgary wants to continue a youth movement a few years down the road, they could get a nice haul and their former kids will be ready to help the new ones. Have to admit, the Flames have done a solid job since trading Iginla.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
2013/14
Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Richardson Santo
Sestito Dalphe Weiss

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Tanev Stanton
Weber

Luo
Lack

2014/15
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Burr
Richardson Vey Kassian
Dorsett Mathias Hansen

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa?
Sbisa Stanton
Weber

Miller
Lack

Vrbata Bonino Kassian Vey Mathias Dorsett........vs Kesler Santo Booth Dalphe Weiss Sesitito

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Looking forward to the game and also to next Saturday when they start playing teams I'm not sick of seeing.

John Bender*

real talk:

glencross monahan hudler
gaudreau backlund raymond
bouma stajan byron
bollig colborne mcgratton

I don't really see why this is such a laughable lineup. There is legit talent on the first few lines, some youth, but some good youth. The bottom 6 looks pretty gritty. I am not saying they are a playoff team, but they are not a colossal joke.

I don't know what their blue line looks like, it may be pretty thin.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
2013/14
Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Richardson Santo
Sestito Dalphe Weiss

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Tanev Stanton
Weber

Luo
Lack

2014/15
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Burr
Richardson Vey Kassian
Dorsett Mathias Hansen

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa?
Sbisa Stanton
Weber

Miller
Lack

Vrbata Bonino Kassian Vey Mathias Dorsett........vs Kesler Santo Booth Dalphe Weiss Sesitito

Vrbata=Kesler
Bonnio vs Santorelli hard to say who is better
Vey-->Booth?
Kassian->Dalpe
Mattias-->weiss?
Dorsett-->Sesito

We got young and a bit more skilled

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
2013/14
Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Richardson Santo
Sestito Dalphe Weiss

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Tanev Stanton
Weber

Luo
Lack

2014/15
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Burr
Richardson Vey Kassian
Dorsett Mathias Hansen

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa?
Sbisa Stanton
Weber

Miller
Lack

Vrbata Bonino Kassian Vey Mathias Dorsett Sbisa Miller........vs Kesler Santo Booth Dalphe Weiss Sesitito Garrison Luongo

Fixed.

That Garrison to Sbisa change is the biggest mismatch of the changes in personnel.

John Bender*

Vrbata=Kesler
Bonnio vs Santorelli hard to say who is better
Vey-->Booth?
Kassian->Dalpe
Mattias-->weiss?
Dorsett-->Sesito

We got young and a bit more skilled

You are missing:

Desjardins & Staff > Tortorella & Staff

No Kesler In Room > Kesler in Room

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hmmm, think Shink Virt and Jensen will easily make the NHL and will certainly be top 6 if not top 3 players. Going to be a logjam in a couple of years with those 3, and Horvat McCann Gaunce kenins Fox and Cassels legitimately fighting for spots. I know they won't all make it, but 3 years from now its going to be interesting. And who knows where we'll draft this year.

I think you missed my point. Of the guys in Utica who is a comparable to a current top NHL franchise top 3 forward? for example, what top 10 team would place Jensen in their top 3? Yes, they may very well become such for Vancouver because there is nothing else on the shelf. At best a couple currently might be equivalent to those team's second 3. In Jrs. maybe two prospects have this potential and in two years that number may only be one. We don't know. You guys are granting guys incredibly high skill sets who have never been touted anywhere as that type of player.

The current kids will be great in a rebuild if they are combined with real top level people, who could come via astute drafts, brilliant trades, or UFAs if the future looks bright. The top UFAs usually look to sign where the grass looks green and needs a little fertilizer, them. The Canucks will have $ because the core is going to be on the way out. They can only be helpful for so much longer.

The personnel is going to have to change and everyone knows that, but don't put the kids in positions they can only play in our minds. Let's face it. If they were as phenomenal as many of you are projecting, wouldn't they be wearing a Canucks jersey already? There will be a surprise or two, but the majority won't be top 3 and only a few will be top 6 if the team is to be a contender. If contending is not the goal, by all means they can be put anywhere on the depth chart.

Don't come after me with pitchforks in an angry mob. I love these guys in Utica and believe in most of them more than you guys do, but I don't have unrealistic images for them either. The 'Nucks still need lots of help in the near future. I think Benning and Linden know that, thus the short new contracts which makes outing guys easier. They are just trying to satisfy Ownership with a playoff team while they try to accomplish the next goal. It's a thin line they are walking, but we are going to see them follow this path as long as they can get away with it. The owner's conflicting two branched highway may be the #1 detriment to Vancouver becoming a real serious contender for quite some time.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Ahhhh finally hockey is back! As much as I am sick of playing the Alberta teams over and over again a home opener against the Flames brings back some solid memories of when we were in our prime. We used to have some good tilts and those Rypien and Prust battles were always insane.

I am really hoping that Bieksa can get back out there ASAP as Sbisa in the top-4 is a disaster waiting to happen. Our defensive depth this year is pretty non-existent even for our standards. Garrison would look pretty good with Hamhuis right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad